Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Jeremiah's Army

Author Topic: Jeremiah's Army
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I may have started my story too early, but I'm on the fence [as usual]. I guess that's marginally better starting a story too late...

I'm looking for a small handful of volunteers to read the first couple of scenes and tell me what they think.

This isn't a full critique, just a general read to see if it's okay as is, or if I need to cut the first 1000 words or so... but I won't stop you if you want to do more.

(this is also a major rewrite of a previously posted story fragment last summer, formerly entitled: To the End of the Line.)

Here's the intro:

After two full days of recharging, Jeremiah Hudson passed through the door of his flat at three minutes past six. He caught a power line and surfed it toward the train station to make the 0605. Perhaps today would be lucky and the hunt for Bitters would end in success.

Nevertheless, Jeremiah was glad to be out of the house again. He loathed being cooped up while he recharged. The indignity of it! This made him angry and hateful at times, stoking the fires of revenge that burned within him; a vengeance he would release in spades upon Bitters.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I can give it a quick once over.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Warbric
Member # 2178

- posted      Profile for Warbric   Email Warbric         Edit/Delete Post 
Send me a copy, if you will. I'm often tormented by the same demon in my own work, changing a start dozens of times over, so any help I can give you will indirectly help me as well.

Edit: My apologies in advance for the obnoxious anti-spam confirmation message sent by the anti-spam measures enabled on my email server, but spam is epidemic.

[This message has been edited by Warbric (edited January 30, 2005).]

Posts: 151 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give it a look.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rocklover
Member # 2339

- posted      Profile for Rocklover   Email Rocklover         Edit/Delete Post 
HSO
After all the time critiqing you've offered me, I would be happy to have a go on your piece. Is it really Bitters or Biters??? Sorry. Just thinking of computer lingo. I do like this already. You have me very curious.
Judith

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
This is likely enough volunteers for now. If I need a tie-breaker, then I'll post again asking for one more.

Thanks, folks. Story has been sent.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.