Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » does this grab you?

Author Topic: does this grab you?
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Not finished yet, but this is going to be a contemporary fantasy short story. I'm just wondering if you're interested and a gut feeling where this seems to be going.

No one suspects the blind guy. He walks around with his cane and dark glasses, occasionally uncertain of his location, slightly afraid of crossing the street, but behind the innocent facade lies a razor-sharp mind.

If you’re reading this it’s because I’ve died and still, no one suspects me. This is my tale, my confession.

It started in the middle of a bank robbery that took place last year. I was at the teller’s window, trying to peer at the bills the cashier had handed me out of the corner of my eye so I could see them, make sure she had not short-changed me. They tried one time in ten when I wore the dark glasses; five times in ten when I brought the cane, but they didn’t know I could see with my peripheral vision.

“This is a ten, not a twenty,” I said to the teller.

I wish I could have seen the expression on her face. I always imagine that she gaped at me or gave me some other look of astonishment, but all I could make out was a blurry head of dark hair.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I like, I like!

This is a good opening. I have the picture of an older man wearing dark glasses and carrying a cane; walking around with half a smirk on his face because he knows something...

I want to know what he knows so I can smirk too

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited February 10, 2005).]

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Grabs. Definitely.

I see it as a revenge on the fates kind of story. The world screwed him with the blindness, so he decides to show the world just who can screw who.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it works, but I would start at the 2nd or 3rd sentence, and not the first.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimbob squarepants
Member # 2342

- posted      Profile for Jimbob squarepants   Email Jimbob squarepants         Edit/Delete Post 
I dig it. But I agree with Mike, I'd start it from the thrid line.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Thanks guys! I'm actually flowing right along and am nearly done with a first draft. Sometimes you get a bug...and this isn't even going to be 2k when it's done.

Question...which part of the first paragraph is a problem for those of you who thought it was? There are only two sentences; the first a short, "No one suspects the blind guy." and the second the rest of it. Is it one or the other? Both?

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the second paragraph jolted me a bit when I was reading this.

With the first paragraph I felt like this was probably thrid person POV, but the second paragraph screamed "NO! THIS IS FIRST PERSON!"

If the order of the paragraphs was switched, it would resolve that jolt by setting this up as first person.

Not sure if that is what the others picked up on too.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
christine, i can read it when you're done, if you like.

I'd start with the 3rd paragraph, too. I didn't like the first paragraph because it confused me when I read the rest - the blind man as "he" to the blind man as "I". After I read it a few times I see what you're doing, but it didn't work for me.

Do bank tellers really try to rip off blind people? That's just mean.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
It does grab.

The jolt previously referred to may be solved by saying: No one ever suspects the blind guys. They walk...

But then you sort of lose what you're after. Still, the jolt is easily forgiven once you're past it. The rest works great.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

Well, I didn't forgive it, but then, I'm an unforgiving person.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
If you were to decide to start with the third paragraph, you'd have to stick something in there early to let us know he's blind because the cane and the dark glasses aren't quite enough.

With the first two paragraphs, you don't need to stick anything more into the third paragraph.

I think your first sentence is a grabber all by itself, but so is the first sentence in the second paragraph.

A suggestion on helping minimize the shock:

Put the second paragraph first, but replace "me" at the end of the first sentence with the "blind guy" stuff from the first paragraph and have him describe himself.

quote:
If you're reading this it's because I've died and still, no one suspects the blind guy. I walk around with my cane and dark glasses, looking uncertain of my location and slightly afraid of crossing the street, but behind the innocent facade lies a razor-sharp mind.

This is my confession.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
You have to keep the first line.
"No one suspects the blind guy."
This line says it all. It could be a story on its own and hooks the reader quick. I think the rest of the first paragraph can be scrapped. It tells too much and doesn't fit with the rest of the story. I would continue with the simple opening -- something like: "No one suspects the blind guy. That's the secret to my success. If you are reading this . . ."
The rest of the post sounds ok. I didn't like all the "they"s in the third paragraph though -- too vague. Maybe if he has a sarcastic name for sighted people, you can throw it in there. Also, the peripheral vision thing needs to be introduced/explained better.
I have to say it again -- I love that first line.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rocklover
Member # 2339

- posted      Profile for Rocklover   Email Rocklover         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious as to what "it" is that started... "It started with a band robbery..." You've got me hooked.
I want to find out.
The comment that about the "razor sharp mind" I assume is said because this character is egotistical, right? I'm thinking then, intellect will most likely be a dominant trait with this character. Pride is a powerful element to introduce in a character, but it often makes readers want to pull him down, to put him in his place, not embrace him. Its okay for a character to be razor sharp, but its alienating to have him think himself razor sharp.
That said, there are exceptions. For example, we like Sherlock Holmes in spite of the fact he is unsufferably smart and annoyingly never wrong.
I would love to read more if you want to send it so I can see how this fellow of your comes out.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
onepktjoe
Member # 2352

- posted      Profile for onepktjoe   Email onepktjoe         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Christine,

No question about it, it grabs. I love the first sentence, but refocusing the POV would make it even better.

I won't even speculate on where I think it's going, it's too ripe with possibilities (very well done on that account), and the narrator already has some fascinating complexity.

I'm very interested in seeing what you do with this.

Posts: 230 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shi Magadan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for Shi Magadan   Email Shi Magadan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I really like your first sentence. If you started with the third sentence, I wouldn't be as interested, great, another confession from a dead guy, woopie. But, instead, you started the story by introducing a unique characteristic of the character as well as the idea that he's done something, there's a secret, and I'm hooked.

The transition from third to first was a little jarring, but on second read, I thought you were going for inner dialog in the first few sentences, but deep penetration has not been established yet.

Maybe changing the first line to, "No one suspects the blind guy, and yes, I would know." ... or something like that.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Wow, what a flood!

I'm glad I asked about the clarification. The thing is, I LOVE the first sentence. The first sentence *is* the story, in a nutshell, and I'm basically willing to let a few of you be jolted to keep it in. On the other hand, I was thinking of trying this with the second sentence to try to smooth it over and establish POV more quickly:

No one suspects the blind guy. I walk around with my cane and dark glasses, occasionally uncertain of my location, slightly afraid of crossing the street, but behind this innocent facade lies strength and intellect.

I changed the "razor-sharp mind" to "strength and intellect." I realized partway through the story that the former promised the wrong thing, although I still want to get across a certain amount of confidence and even cockyness. (sp?) Anyway....what do you think of this change? Everything else remains the same so far, although nothing is ever sacred until it's published, and even then it's debatable in a reprint.

onepktjoe
Member # 2352

- posted      Profile for onepktjoe   Email onepktjoe         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I liked "...razor-sharp mind." I thought it set up a point of interest. It certainly comes across as a conceit, but a "prove me wrong" kind of challenge too. I thought it worked well for this character, but obviously you know where you're trying to go with this. I'm sure your final choice will be the right one.
Posts: 230 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Yeah, sorry, I liked it much better myself and it was more of a point of interest, but it's a lie, too. Well, he's smart, but setting it up that way made this about a smart guy pulling something he doesn't get caught doing because he's blind. Unfortunately, openings have to do more than hook: they need to promise something that ends up being fulfilled.
Beth
Member # 2192

the second version: not jolting.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't have a problem with the way it was handled in the first version. The fact that he's speaking of himself in the third person lets him get away with "razor-sharp mind" and you find out just what kind of cocky son of a gun is telling the story (and why) in the second paragraph.

The thing is that this narrator is a tease. He thinks that he's smarter than us, which is part of his off-the-bat appeal. He's also got a grudge that we can understand and identify with immediately, but explained in terms that make us admire rather than pity him.

The change to a first person identification of his "strength and intellect" has a markedly different feel to me. It makes the character seem a bit less "street-wise" and a bit more "superior". The first version made me think he had robbed the bank or something, the second made me think that he'd created a super-weapon that would render everyone else blind or something like that.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like the first line AS the first line, because it's philosophical. And the 2nd paragraph is a grabber. And the 3rd, to me, shows very clearly he's posing as blind (and it's partly true), which is also fascinating.

Definitely an effective hook.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Thanks for the break-down, Survivor. That's how I thought of it. And in fact, I'm going back to razor-sharp mind after what you said. It's adds more of a flair and if it doesn't go exactly according to what you would expect from the implicit promise, then that, too, may be perfectly in character.

You know, we always say around here that when more than one person tells you something that indicates that you should take it seriously. It's one of the two times you should, in fact, either that or when it speaks to you. But every once in a while *everyone* says something that that so goes against the story you're trying to write that you even have to ignore that. I think this is one of those times. Now, if you were all yelling that you weren't going to read the story past my first sentence, that might be a different matter, but I'm more getting the impression that you've all got a general preference for it to start elsewhere and well, I'm just going to have faith that the right publisher for this story will read the second sentence, and the third, and find his hook there if need be.

Thanks for your comments, everyone. They are *always* appreciated, whether I end up taking your advice or not.

Sometime next week I may be looking for readers for this...I'll keep you posted.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know, we always say around here that when more than one person tells you something that indicates that you should take it seriously.

But taking it seriously doesn't mean that you should do what everyone says to do. All it means is that you should look at it more closely and figure out why everyone is advising you to do something different.

You may choose to do what they advise you to do, you may choose only one of the things that one of them advises you to do, you may choose to do something else entirely, or you may choose to ignore them anyway--but do the last because you have come to understand why they are advising you that way and why none of that will work in the story the way you want it to go.

I remember the first time I met OSC. He was being interviewed and one of the things he said was that you don't even have to do what an editor asks you to do when they send the manuscript back requesting rewrites. All you have to do is figure out what is it in the story that has caused the editor to ask for that particular change and fix whatever it is in the way that is best for the story. The fix may not be anywhere near what the editor asked you to change, but if it fixes the problem, the editor will be satisfied.

So you look at what everyone has a problem with and figure out why they have a problem with it, and go from there.

Yes, take their concerns seriously, but don't follow their advice unless it is exactly what you were needing to hear to fix what you knew deep down inside needed fixing in the story. If it isn't what you need to hear, figure out what and why and how, and do that instead.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Can anyone spare some time to read this completed story? It's a quick read at about 2,000 words and would be classified under fantasy, I think.
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I can spare some time if it arrives quickly (before friday)
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
absolutely. Send it over, please. I'll have it back to you before you wake in the morning ... unless something happens to thwart my intention... but even then I'll have it back to as soon as humanly possible...

which should be relatively quick...

unless...

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
It didn't really grab me.
The premise sounds dodgy from the start.
People may not suspect the blind man, (I doubt it), but certainly everyone notices them.
You never get overlooked by being the different one, someone will always say, 'Oh there was that blind guy.'
So to me it didn't seem credible, it didn't sound like a blind person writing, and I probably wouldn't read more.

It just occurred to me to ask how this 'document' was written? Was it typed, handwritten, dictated, emailed, braille-typed?

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 15, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Grrrr...I can't do it. I can't break the golden rule of critiquing. I almost did three times. But I just can't do it.

There's just one thing I can't let go...

This doesn't sound like a blind person is writing this? You will please have to explain to me what a blind person sounds like when they write something so that I make sure to sound like that in all my future endevors. Since I AM blind, I figured I'd just write kinda normal, you know? But apparently I've been writing wrong all this time!

Sorry, I know I broke the golden rule...I just couldn't let it go...sometimes you just can't. I'll do my pennance somehow...If it helps, I choked back most of what I had to say.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited February 15, 2005).]

Beth
Member # 2192

I can read, Christine.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
There there...there there :soothing gestures and noises:

People do notice blind people, but usually pretend not to notice them. There are various reasons for this, but in the context of trying to uncover a crime it is usually because it is assumed that a blind person couldn't plausibly be a suspect or an important witness (for much the same reason that some people are simply not going to believe a story where the blind person is anything other than totally crippled by not having normal vision). The document was probably typed, Christine can speak to that herself, I suppose. I don't see that it really matters. If there are readers that won't believe in a blind person being smart, competent, and even a little naughty, well, that's something to know, even if you're already too well aware of it.

Anyway, back to the subject, I'd like to read it as well.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jericson
Member # 2369

- posted      Profile for Jericson   Email Jericson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...it actually doesn't grab me that much. Some of the info here feels forced. Too much, too soon. Too much, "I am this, this is what the story is about, and here's what happened." Just tell us what happened. I don't know how to do this in first-person, but something about a man that walks in with a cane and dark glasses, the teller notices and tries to shortchange him, then he surprises them by telling what the bill is. We don't need to hear that he can see with peripheral vision first. That can come later.

I do think the story has potential and could be very good. Have you ever seen the movie "Wait Until Dark"? Audrey Hepburn won an oscar for it. Great thriller with a blind person at the center, her disability used as a tool for both her enemies AND herself. Very intriguing. But I can't say the intro grabs me.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I can read, if you still need people.
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I think I've got enough readers for now. I'm considering several possible rewrite options, will make up my mind when I get in a couple other critiques, and then I hope I can keep you in mind when I've got a new version ready.
Tess
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Tess   Email Tess         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Christine. Include me on your next round of readers, if you end up requesting more. I don't always check this forum as often as I'd like to, and I can easily miss the call.
Posts: 98 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Christine. Clearly I was wrong. I wasn't trying to get you steamed.

The 'this doesn't sound like a blind person' thing stemmed from the belief that a disabled person would not buy into the idea that they were invisible.

My real point was that blind people do get noticed.
Overlooking a blind person, or any person with a disability, at a crime scene is not not an uncommon plot element. Think of Usual Suspects where it was critical.

However, I find it unlikely.

If you were investigating a crime or some series of crimes and a mysterious blind-guy kept turning-up; wouldn't you get suspicious? A blind person sticks out like a sore thumb when you are replaying a security video too.

I apologise for any offense I may have caused. My experience is with another sort of disability and maybe those experiences do not correllate.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 17, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Don't worry about it. Some days I let things go, some days I don't...you just got to me on a bad day.

Two things:

1. I find it ironic that the people most likely to buy into a steretype are the people at whome it is directed.

2. While it is probable that a blind person continually showing up at crime scenes would eventually stick out, I never said that's what happened. Many crimes take place without a public display and there aren't always scenes. (That's not what's happening here, either, actually, but it is one of the possibilities I hoped came to mind.) Also, this blind person is good at not looking blind as he has some use of his vision, which is one of the steretypes I hoped to challenge with this story. (I myself am *legally* rather than toally blind and in fact, most blind people are not totally blind, even if all they can see is vague colors without meaning...it ranges from blackness to something that is more like blurry vission that everyone assumes means I was too stupid to think about getting some glasses....or my favorite, after I say glasses don't help..."Oh, well how about contacts, then?" )

3. I love the Usual Suspects....wait, that was three.

Tess
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Tess   Email Tess         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Christine, I’m the latecomer to this conversation, I know. I’ve been watching it all along, though, trying to see if my opinions jived with the others posted. I think I finally decided to comment because this topic bled over into a thread I started, the one about the ideal first 13 over in open discussions. I’m essentially letting the discussion in that thread bleed into this thread with this post.

I didn’t take to your opening as posted at the top of this thread, and I didn’t comment because I didn’t know why I felt like this. I know you’ve probably rewritten this by now, so my comments might be a bit late to be useful, but I’m going to try anyways.

I’m looking at it from the perspective of the hook, as you described in the other thread. You listed sympathy, concern, weirdness, and conflict as “good” hooks. The discussion then turned to adding foreshadowing or a tease to the list.

quote:
No one suspects the blind guy. He walks around with his cane and dark glasses, occasionally uncertain of his location, slightly afraid of crossing the street, but behind the innocent facade lies a razor-sharp mind.

If you’re reading this it’s because I’ve died and still, no one suspects me. This is my tale, my confession.

It started in the middle of a bank robbery that took place last year.

You’re right, the first paragraph is a tease hook. I don’t like teases, especially right off the bat when I don’t know what the story is about. It makes me wonder of the narrator is going to play fair with me through the story, if the narrator is a bit smug in any way. That’s a personal preference, however. But I can live with this beginning. I’d read on because I’m curious.

I think the second paragraph is a separate hook. It’s jarring because your narrator directly addresses the reader, and you’re calling attention to the story telling. I’m interested because it’s weird, and that’s one of your hook methods. You have a dead narrator, so you’ve automatically avoided one of the problems of first person narration, that we know right off the bat that the narrator survives to tell the tale. Again, I’m not thrilled with this as an opener for the jarring reason, but it’s sufficiently weird that I would read on.

My problem up to this point is that you’ve given me two hooks, and I think this may be a case where too much takes away from the effect. I didn’t see this until you posted your analysis of the hook in the first 13.

Your story starts with the first sentence of the third paragraph. That’s where I want to go right away. I’m tempted to say “give up your little darlings” and cut the first two paragraphs, but then I look at the first sentence of the third paragraph and realize that I would consider this a weak opening line. There’s too much narrator’s voice in it, too much telling, in my estimation.

So, how would I advise you to rewrite the first few lines? I have to go with a gut feeling, and gut feelings are tough to post when you’re not sure how to defend them. My personal preference, I’m realizing, is towards beginnings that introduce the narrator’s voice right away, and by that I mean the voice used in the body of the story, none of this direct address to the reader stuff, or the general statements approach you used in the first paragraph.

My preferred opening for this piece would consist of the first paragraph hook written with a sense of the narrator you settle into in the third paragraph. Easier said than done, right?

…it took your comments on the hook for me to figure this out. Hope I didn’t go overboard with this, and I hope it helps.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
All I'm going to say is this:

I read the opening paragraph, looked up at who posted, and said to myself, "Yep, it was written by Christine."

Trust me, that's a good thing.

Z

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.