Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Dead Ned

Author Topic: Dead Ned
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
Steven had worked in the motel for the past five months, and when he took the job, cleaning blood out of the bathroom wasn't what he'd expected to do.

Steve gave the floor a last scrubbing and tossed the rag into the garbage bag next to the door. He stood with aching knees and stepped to the sink. The water was bloody cold but he kept rubbing until his hands were wiped clean, and then let the water drain the pink muck out of the sink bowl. He leaned over the faucet and took deep breaths to keep from throwing up. Steve was very careful not to look at the shower as he breathed. He had to get out of the room. Grabbing the garbage bag, he hurried outside.

It was a warm enough that the humid air clung to the sweat that already soaked him. He walked towards the dumpster and trashed the rags. He started back to the room but found he couldn't walk any farther. He'd left the door open, even though he'd been told not to do that the instant he got the job. There were only two reasons for this: keeping out thieves and flies.

[This message has been edited by Ray (edited March 21, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Ray (edited March 22, 2005).]

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ray,

Interesting bit. It might help a little to know what you are looking for with this. Is it an opener for a story or just a bit within the story that you want some feedback on? My opinion might vary, depending on if this is an opening statement or not.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice so far. I'll get cranky if I don't find out why there's blood in the bathroom in the next paragraph, but otherwise, no complaints.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from what has already been said:

1) When you say that cleaning the blood hadn't been on the itinerary, I get the impression that it has gotten onto the itinerary, and now he has had to do it more than once. I don't know if that's the impression you want, but that's what I'm getting.

2) "The door was left open, the first thing he'd been told not to do..." was a confusing sentence. I think you just worded it awkwardly. Maybe "He'd left the door open, even though he'd been told not to do that the instant he got the job" or something along those lines would flow better?

But to reemphasize what Elan said, it would be nice to know what you want from us. This is a pretty good fragment, I just want to know what to do with it!

[This message has been edited by Jaina (edited March 21, 2005).]

Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for not explaining. This is the opening for a very, very short story I typed for a writing class. I'm wondering if it's worth the time to make it better.

wbriggs: I don't have the reason in the next paragraph, but I can change that really quick.

Jaina: Thanks for pointing that out. I'll change it right now.

[This message has been edited by Ray (edited March 22, 2005).]

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it and don't really have any suggestions for changes. I'm hooked, and I don't necessarily have to have an answer immediately, as long as what you have is entertaining; though since this is a short story, sooner would be better than later.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you want someone to read the entire thing? I'd be willing, if you are.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd give it a go as well.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
xarius
Member # 2168

- posted      Profile for xarius   Email xarius         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this passage, but am unsure of your meaning in this sentence:

quote:
The water was bloody cold but he kept rubbing until his hands were wiped clean, and then let the water drain the pink muck out of the sink bowl.

Do you want to imply the water was "bloody and cold" or "very cold"? I get the sense that it means very cold, but having mentioned cleaning the blood from the shower, maybe you need to subsitute this definition of bloody for something else.

I would like to read the rest of it.

Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for RavenStarr   Email RavenStarr         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's not too long, I'll read it (basically meaning, I can't read anyone's novels right now)...
Posts: 183 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a Clive Barker story about a woman who cleaned apartments in a low down dirty filthy part of town filled with murder scenes etc. They even made a film of it and I can't remember the name now has been about ten years. Anyway this story had the exact line:

We were told to keep the doors closed. It kept out theives, squatters, and... flies.

It's a good saying and Barker borrowed it from someone else. I don't think you intentially copied him, but I might change the phrasing so that it doesn't sound so much alike his.

JB Skaggs

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.