Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Price of a Memory

Author Topic: The Price of a Memory
MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Horror, 2400 words, tentatively titled The Price of a Memory. This is a fairly rough first draft, but it's finished and I would like readers for the whole thing. Also I would love any suggestions for a better title.

----------------
Gerald was clearing the table after dinner when he heard the scratching. He paused, plate in hand, to look at his fiancee Christina. She was standing with her head cocked, trying to locate the source of the sound. "It sounds like it is coming from the front door," he said.

She headed for the door, and he followed. When she opened the door a tabby cat darted in. It looked up at them and uttered a plaintive miaow. "Where did you come from?" Christina asked. The cat only rubbed against her legs.

Gerald stepped out the door and looked around. The street was deserted, even though it was only early evening. He shrugged, and closed thedoor. "There's no one out there," he said.

Christina had disappeared.

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I want to know what happened to Christina.

Her first line of dialog sounds a little stilted; I'd replace "it is" with "its." But no doubt you'll fix that and some other little things on the next draft.

I can read.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so you've got a hook that is promising. I would read on because of that hook, but I do feel there's some information missing here and there. Although you probably want her to to go away quickly, I believe there should be more dialogue between Gerald and Christina before she disappears (or something -- Gerald didn't even check the house fully before you write she disappears). I also believe the prose could be tightened up substantially. A few tense issues, etc...

For instance:

quote:
She was standing with her head cocked [...]

"She was standing" could just as easily be expressed as "She stood"

There are more things, but I can save them for a crit, if you'd like. Send it on... and beware... Mwahahaha. (kidding.)

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
D_Allen
Member # 2385

- posted      Profile for D_Allen   Email D_Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read the whole story.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.
I thought it was nice writing.
Not so sure about the cat 'false alarm' trick though. I'm not sure that I've read it before, but my gowd i've seen it over and over in horror flicks.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
The writing was OK, but what made this fragment attract my attention was the last line. However, that line would only propel me on for another page or so. It is a funny line, and I laugh at it. If you can turn this amusement into horror, good.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

Story sent to those who asked to read. Thanks guys.

benskia, could you clarify what you mean by a cat false alarm trick? I don't watch many horror flicks, and I don't know what you mean. I don't *think* the cat in my story is like that, but it would be good to know for sure.

--Mel

Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
oh, man, Christina doesn't really disappear there! Line 14 tells us she's safely in the kitchen, giving the cat milk. The excerpt is kind of misleading.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rocklover
Member # 2339

- posted      Profile for Rocklover   Email Rocklover         Edit/Delete Post 
The action is fine, but there's no MOOD. Horror has to have MOOD. Little stuff like a ticking clock in a silent room or branches scraping a window or a glass that is dropped and shatters, cutting somebody's hand. Just a few little disturbing details that put the reader on edge and raise the hairs on the back of your neck a bit.
And frankly, why should I care whether the girl disappears? At this point I know nothing about her. You have given NO description. Is she a child? A teenager? An adult? A girlfriend?
For all I know, she could be a witch.

If nothing else, have a cold gust of wind blow the door open, for Pete's sake. Something, anything! Make my stomach tingle!
If you don't do this, you ain't got horror.
Good luck,
Judith

[This message has been edited by Rocklover (edited March 28, 2005).]

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

Beth: sorry, that's just how it ended up. I plan to add more details to the beginning, so this shouldn't be an issue in the final draft.

Rocklover: you're right. My husband pointed out the same thing. I think I've got some good ideas to make the beginning more creepy.

Thanks for the comments.

--Mel

benskia
Member # 2422

Hiya.
Just to clarify what i meant a little.
There's umpteen films in which somebody here's a strange noise -stratching, movement - whatever and the suspense builds. The character then opens a door and a cat runs in, or jumps off the cupboard or something & takes down the suspense. Then you'll be lulled into a false sense of security and something really jumpy happens not too many seconds after. Normally the real killer/monster appears and does his business.

Hope this helps. By the sounds of your last response to me, it sounds as though the cat is going to be a main part in this story though, so you could have double bluffed me and it IS the cat after all!!

I'll read it all though when done. You do have me intrigued now.

MCameron
Member # 2391

benskia, thanks for the clarification. Now that I understand what you were saying, I realize that I've seen movies with that plot device. Yeah, it is pretty overdone. I don't generally watch horror movies because most of them are not at all scary. I probably should though, just to get an idea of some of the expectations people have when they see that something is in the horror genre. That way I can avoid or twist the cliches.

Thanks for offering to read. I've sent it over.

--Mel

benskia
Member # 2422

Cool. I'll get back to you with comments as soon as i've read it.
Wenderella
Member # 2464

- posted      Profile for Wenderella   Email Wenderella         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the beginning was interesting enough to make me continue.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
SkorPiun
Member # 2465

- posted      Profile for SkorPiun   Email SkorPiun         Edit/Delete Post 
The title is quite interesting I think, got me interested at least.

I would not mind reading the whole story if you would like to send it to me.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Wenderella
Member # 2464

- posted      Profile for Wenderella   Email Wenderella         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you e-mail me the story, I'd like to know what happens and i can give you some feed back :0)
MCameron
Member # 2391

SkorPiun and Wenderella, thanks for volunteering to read. I'm fairly deep into the revision process right now, so I can send you the revised version in about a week or so, if you're still interested.

--Mel

Wenderella
Member # 2464

Sure! :0)
SkorPiun
Member # 2465

- posted      Profile for SkorPiun   Email SkorPiun         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a problem, I look forward to it.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

Well, I've finished the first round of revisions. (WooHoo!) I didn't expect it to go so quickly. I think the story is pretty much in the form I want,and all that remains is tightening up the writing, and perhaps making things a bit clearer.

HSO: you'll be glad to hear that I completely changed the ending.

Wenderella and SkorPiun: I've sent it over.

Now to go eat a piece of cake in celebration .

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.