Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Nachalnik

Author Topic: Nachalnik
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for readers. It's ~2500 words, SF.

--

On the radar display, the objects were moving closer. "They are definitely changing course," Jared said.

"Then they’re ships," said Engineer Suti, condescension in her patrician voice. She must have paid well for that Chinese lilt. "Warn them away."

"I did," Jared said. And they weren't ships. The manual said nothing was a ship unless it was at least two meters long.

The bridge was dark but for the displays. Lighting on the bridge during night shift was up only for emergencies, and this wasn’t classified as an emergency. Or as anything else.

Jung-Shin, the steward, looked over his shoulder. "What does the manual say to do?" she asked.

"It would be in the piloting section," Suti said, throwing responsibility onto the pilot: Jared.

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited April 01, 2005).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
That first sentence felt awkward to me. I was also a little confused by the sentence "Or as anything else", but then decided you were trying to reiterate the uniqueness of their situation.

Sounds interesting though. I'll read.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey WB.
Are you sure this is yours? It doesn't seem as classy as the other stuff of yours i've come across so far.

That first sentence -

On the radar display, the objects were moving closer. "They are definitely changing course," Jared said.

I'm pretty sure the first comma isn't needed.
...and if they changed course, how come they are still getting nearer? Were they getting further away before and now they're coming back towards them?

"Then they’re ships," said Engineer Suti, condescension in her patrician voice. She must have paid well for that Chinese lilt. "Warn them away."

You've swapped around the way you've got the 'said' statement. Maybe not important, but i picked up on it. So maybe it is. The previous sentence was Jared said. Now we've got said Engineer Suti.

"I did," Jared said. And they weren't ships. The manual said nothing was a ship unless it was at least two meters long.

Should the "And the weren't ships..." part supposed to be in quotes. From reading it, I get the impression that this was actually being said. Not thought. I think if it's just something going on in Jared's head, something like 'Jared said, even though he didnt think they could be ships. Not if the manual was accurate' or similar.

Sorry friend. This sounds like a really off critique from me, but I didn't get into this much at all. Each to their own though, there's probably people that love it.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it. Email it, please, and ignore the spamblocker message if you receive it. I'll still get the email and will add you to my list if you aren't already there. Then you'll be 'real'.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey you can send it to me and i'll return the favor of critiqing.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
limo
Member # 2470

- posted      Profile for limo           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree
just a little confused
things aren't made clear and I was not pulled into what is obviously meant to be a gripping scene.
Perhaps a little more detail / intro at the beginning?
Also some lines are obscure e.g description of Suti's voice, description of object.
li

Posts: 112 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it works. Apart from the two first lines, which have the same binary rhythm (something comma something)
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be willing to read.
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you need to solidify POV with the first sentence, because it's unclear who's thinking about the lilt.

I'd be willing to read.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
jimmyjazz951
Member # 2443

- posted      Profile for jimmyjazz951   Email jimmyjazz951         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks interesting. I'd like to read it.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't forgotten to crit this wbriggs. I just haven't had time yet. Will try to get to it soon. I have read it though, and enjoyed it.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.