Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The first draft of my untitled final exam....could use some advice

Author Topic: The first draft of my untitled final exam....could use some advice
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm having some trouble. It doesn't read like I want it to yet, and I'm having some trouble pinpointing whatever's getting in the way of the story. I'm also having some trouble titling it.

So, I was wondering if a couple of people could look the whole piece over and give me some feedback, especially if they're familiar with my writing style and can tell me what I'm doing differently (wrong?). Any advice for the first 13 is welcome, too.

I don't know how to describe this except as your basic fiction, with some surrealistic elements. It's about 2900 words, and may not be well edited yet.

There was no silence deeper than the one that hovered thickly indoors on an overcast winter’s morning. Even before Marni opened her eyes, she knew that it had snowed again while she slept. There was a chill in the air, a smell like the one that lurked in a long-empty freezer. There was a tangibly frigid quality to the light, even behind the heavy drapes. She could hear nothing but her own hitching breaths. All other signs of life were either muffled by the snow or sucked into the clouds. It was barren outside, desolate. Her house had no one but her to fill the oppressive emptiness inside.

She rolled over on the couch, still clutching the scratchy throw pillow to her chest, and opened her eyes to the steady stare of the answering machine’s message light. She curled around the pillow, dragging the knitted blankets up with her knees and burying her face again. Her eyes felt gummy and swollen, her face cold and sticky with dried tears and snot. What had she expected? She had been lying there all night; she couldn’t have missed the call.

It hadn’t come.

Thanks in advance for the help!

[This message has been edited by Jeraliey (edited May 01, 2005).]

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
First paragraph:
quote:
There was no silence deeper.... There was a chill.... There was a tangibly frigid quality.... It was barren outside....
Send it to me. But how soon do you need it? I'm not sure I'll be able to get it back in time.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Well, the thing's actually due on Tuesday, but it would be unfair of me to expect anyone to manage that on such short notice. At this point, I could probably turn it in as is. I gave it a brush-up this morning.

Right now, I'm just looking for general feedback, because even though I like this story, it's just not reading right and I'd like to find out what's wrong with it.

Rick and HSO, it's on its way. Any other takers?

shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Send it... You'll have it back by tomorrow, unless my email goes kerflooey again!

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I can probably read it tonight.

I'm fairly hooked; I want to know about the call.

Suggestion [deletions] and ADDITIONS:

--

[There was no silence deeper than the one that hovered thickly indoors on an overcast winter’s morning.] Even before Marni opened her eyes, she knew that it had snowed again [while she slept]. There was a chill in the air, a smell like the one that lurked in a long-empty freezer. [I DON'T KNOW WHAT A LONG-EMPTY FREEZER WOULD SMELL LIKE.] There was a tangibly frigid quality to the light, even THROUGH [behind the] heavy drapes. She could hear nothing but her own hitching breaths. [All other signs of life were either muffled by the snow or sucked into the clouds. It was barren outside, desolate. Her house had no one but her to fill the oppressive emptiness inside.]

She rolled over on the couch, [still] clutching the scratchy throw pillow to her chest, and opened her eyes to the steady stare of the answering machine’s message light. [She curled around the pillow, dragging the knitted blankets up with her knees and burying her face again. Her eyes felt gummy and swollen, her face cold and sticky with dried tears and snot. What had she expected?] She had been lying there all night; she couldn’t have missed the call.

It hadn’t come.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

Crit returned...

Good luck with this!

-HSO

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

WHOA!

HSO is a SPEED DEMON!

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with wbriggs on deleting the first sentence and choosing some phrase other than "long-empty freezer." I'm more reserved about endorsing his other suggestions, but none of them are really bad ideas as far as I can tell.

I'm also curious about why you would choose the name "Mami" for your main character. Again, I can't flag it as a mistake, because I haven't read the story yet.

For now, I'll say that you have a condition "mauve" on the opening prose. I don't know whether that's part of your style or not. If you like, I can read the story and give some general feedback.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

quote:
HSO is a SPEED DEMON!

I'm presently determining if I should be offended by this comment...

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

........and wbriggs is also fast like a freak!

I'm terribly impressed.

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take it! (Better than being fast like a phreak!)

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited May 01, 2005).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.