Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Suicide World

Author Topic: Suicide World
Troy
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Troy   Email Troy         Edit/Delete Post 
(This is a science fiction novel which is broken into sections with titles instead of chapters. The first section is called "Suicide World.")

On the day of her 21st birthday, she let slip her real name.

That morning she awoke, as she did every morning, to the cacophony of Suicide Steep. The wind uncoiled, flexed its tendrils over the fields, shivered in the grass; snapped and cracked the Atticant flags flying above Suicide City. The water: a thunderous gale which slathered and slashed at the rocks below, sharpening and smoothing them into the jagged teeth of a ravenous ocean. The water was never satisfied. No matter how much blood it got, no matter how many lives were swallowed up in its maw, it would always be hungry for more. And the people who sacrificed themselves to it -- they were hungry for death. This, she thought, was the hungriest place on earth.

Posts: 214 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Troy
Member # 2640

Question of etiquette: Re: The first 13 lines rule. Is it the first 13 lines as laid out on my computer, or the first 13 lines that would appear on the forum?

Thanks.

M_LaVerne
Member # 2606

- posted      Profile for M_LaVerne   Email M_LaVerne         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems a bit over written but hey...it's suicide city. I'm intrigued mostly because I'm wondering how a place with a penchant for suicide maintains a population.

Give me the girl's name. Preferably after the first sentence but for sure by the last line. If she let it slip, then slip it to the reader already.

On a tech note...whichs need commas unless you meant to use that.

Cool.

Posts: 38 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
M_LaVerne
Member # 2606

Beats me about the 13 line thing. I'm new here myself. I assumed it meant the first 13 sentences. But I think the intent is to keep it short cause we're all supposedly busy writing...
Troy
Member # 2640

You know what I just realized, I hate it when stories start with someone waking up. Waking up? DO something. In medias res, right? Gah.

But, eh, maybe because its a novel it will work....

(no, i know it wont. damn.)

M_LaVerne
Member # 2606

Then just cut the first two sentences and go from there...
M_LaVerne
Member # 2606

Oh, and give me the girl's name and make it a good one. Her name needs to say to me she's different. She's stared at the jagged teeth...she's peered over the edge...but for some reason said f@#$ it...she's gonna live.
mythopoetic
Member # 2624

- posted      Profile for mythopoetic   Email mythopoetic         Edit/Delete Post 
I am incredibly intrigued. I liked the whole thing about the "hungriest place on earth". I'd be happy to read more at some point if you want me to.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
First 13 means the first 13 lines in your word processor, using a 12-point font and 1" margins.

and yeah, give me her name. If she's important enough to start with, she's important enough to name.

The descriptive paragraph is pretty good, I think. Perhaps a tiny bit overwritten, and I don't think I'd want to read a whole novel that's written like that paragraph - but it's good dramatic description. Hopefully, after that paragraph, you start to spend more time with your unnamed woman - that's where the story really is, not with the water. I hope. If it's a story about water I'm probably not very interested.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
M_LaVerne
Member # 2606

Yup...
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
What Beth said about the first 13 lines.

The idea is that you are showing us the first page of your manuscript. When you send a story to an editor, the editor will look at the first page, and depending on whether or not you have done your job, may or may not go on to the second page.

If the editor doesn't go to the second page, your manuscript goes back to you in your SASE along with a rejection letter.

We ask for only the first 13 lines in order to do one (or both) of two things:

1--tell you whether we think the editor will go to the next page (based on whether or not we would) and what we think you could do to help improve your chances with the editor.

2--decide whether or not we would be willing to look at and give you feedback on the whole thing.

So set your story up in manuscript format, with only 13 lines on the first page, and post just that much.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bumbus_McGee
Member # 2644

- posted      Profile for Bumbus_McGee   Email Bumbus_McGee         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was good. I personally don't see why we need to know the name so badly. It could be an interesting element to have a protagonist you don't know the name of, but that is just my opinion.
Posts: 19 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
LeGLeSs
Member # 2655

- posted      Profile for LeGLeSs   Email LeGLeSs         Edit/Delete Post 
i agree with bumbus the name is a mystery a bit like suicide city ....

[This message has been edited by LeGLeSs (edited June 16, 2005).]

Posts: 25 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Killerkop
Member # 2671

- posted      Profile for Killerkop   Email Killerkop         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, im intriuged to just what this suicide world is, and the how it plays out in your story, the added mystery of an unknown character just goes with it. I dont think it would work is we knew Lauren was walking around suicide city. But the descriptions you have are amazing, but at the same time i feel like its overkill. The jagged and the maw and all that stuff, its an awesome way to describe it and really gives this place an alive feel (which is awesome for it to be suicide city) i think maybe its just too much too fast, maybe if there were a few more lines in there with "typical" descriptions it would balance out, but thats only my opinion. If your looking for readers, im interested.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.