Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Creeping Death -- Help Wanted

Author Topic: Creeping Death -- Help Wanted
Ezuma
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Ezuma   Email Ezuma         Edit/Delete Post 
This is just an idea I've come up with and feel like doing, but I have absolutely no idea where to start, so any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated!!

A Little Background Info
The Creeping Death is the 10th plague which bestowed upon the Egyptians - the Angel of Death. In the movie his presence has been represented by a green cloud, but actual in the Jewish tales you can not see his arrival. He was sent by God to kill every first born child. The Jews knew how to save their first born sons, because Moses told them that they just have to put lambs blood on their doors for keeping the angel of death from stopping at those houses to kill the first born man. However the Egyptians didn't knew of that protective measure.

[This message has been edited by Ezuma (edited June 16, 2005).]

Posts: 44 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ezuma
Member # 2646

^^ That probably came out wrong, Rasta certainly took it the wrong way.

That's not my idea, it's history. I know it is because I'm Jewish. I just thought of it as a good thing to put in writing, because I know many people don't actually know about the truth behind the "Creeping Death."

Rasta's already rejected it, saying I've stolen the idea, but whatever.

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Borrowing from OSC's "A Thousand Ideas in an Hour" . . .

Main character. Man or woman? How old? Where does he live? Jew or Egyptian (or something else)? What happens to him? Etc., etc. I think it sounds promising, although I don't know where you sell historical short fiction.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
I think passover would make an awesome premise for a story. You could even make it futuristic. Or set it in a Nazi consentration camp--Oooo, I like that idea. I might just snatch that one right up. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by pixydust (edited June 16, 2005).]

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Meenie
Member # 2633

- posted      Profile for Meenie   Email Meenie         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see the objection (from Rasta?), but - although I'm not Jewish - I do know the story.
I didn't it was called "Creeping Death" though! That's chilling enough, whoo.
Anyway, what's your idea for the story? I assume you intend to write a character from that time, either Jewish or Egyption, or perhaps from the Angel's view?
I think it sounds interesting.
Meenie

Posts: 109 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ezuma
Member # 2646

Rasta argued the case over MSN, that's why it's not there.

I was thinking about doing it from an Egyptian character's point of view, because they were the ones most affected by this. I'm not saying the Jews weren't affected either, but the Egyptians didn't know how to stop Creeping Death so I feel their story would be a lot more... sad, if you will?

shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Basing a story on an event in history-- even just rewriting that historical event-- is not "stealing". It is creative interpretation.

How many stories do you suppose are out there about ------- (fill in the blank with your favourite historical event). It doesn't matter what you put in that blank, you're likely to find dozens, maybe hundreds of stories about it. Did they all "steal" the idea or the setting? Maybe the first one is okay, but the rest were "stolen"?

Of course not! They all merely chose the same event or era to interpret, and each crafted a story about it. And each story is different from the others.

Develop your story, Ezuma. Write it. I think it is a wonderful premise for a story!

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rustafarianblackpolarbear
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for rustafarianblackpolarbear   Email rustafarianblackpolarbear         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was thinking about doing it from an Egyptian character's point of view, because they were the ones most affected by this. I'm not saying the Jews weren't affected either, but the Egyptians didn't know how to stop Creeping Death so I feel their story would be a lot more... sad, if you will?

then surely egyptian would be perfect, no. You should have a shot at writing 13 lines now pleae. If you have more soon after, I'd like to read it.

[This message has been edited by rustafarianblackpolarbear (edited June 17, 2005).]

Posts: 136 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
rustafarianblackpolarbear
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for rustafarianblackpolarbear   Email rustafarianblackpolarbear         Edit/Delete Post 
i once had the idea of doing the same thing on napoleon. I definitely agree with Ezuma and Susan. It's good to change genre's once in a while.

[This message has been edited by rustafarianblackpolarbear (edited June 17, 2005).]

Posts: 136 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ezuma
Member # 2646

I've decided to put a twist on the story of 'Creeping Death,' and have the protagonist, an Egyptian who can contact the mind of the Creeping Death, and can hear him speaking to him, but cannot himself talk to the Angel of Death.

The man first contacts the Creeping Death when the plague is first bestowed upon the Egyptians, and hears his song whenever he kills somone.

How's that?

Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, we can be of more help if you show us, don't tell us. That is, instead of telling us what your plot is going to be, go ahead and WRITE a fragment and post it. Then we can be of some constructive assistance to you.

Someone can have the greatest plot in the world, but if they don't express it clearly in their writing it will tank. And, conversely, you can have a less original plot but bring originality to the writing and make it shine.

Show us the work and then we can offer an educated opinion on how it will fly.

-Elan

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The man first contacts the Creeping Death when the plague is first bestowed upon the Egyptians, and hears his song whenever he kills somone.

I like it. Now write it! And of course, post the first 13 lines here.

Susan

[This message has been edited by shadowynd (edited June 17, 2005).]

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.