Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Spit Swap--960wds

Author Topic: The Spit Swap--960wds
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a flash I need to tighten up for submition this month (YA). It's an experiment with voice and I'm not completely satisfied. It needs a bit of work so I'm begging for all the help I can get; just the first 13 lines or a full critique. It's 960 words.

I sit on the church fence, watching the town bustle around like little bees in a hive. All the retired men gather at the hardware store and the women at the Five and Dime to argue over the various points of cooking and pig raising and escape the heat. I eat my Dairy Queen, trying to decide if I should take off to Mills Creek or pay my dues to Reverend Patrick.

I pull off my Yankees cap and wipe the sweat from my forehead, feeling the cool water of the creek begin to call. Vanilla ice cream comes off of my wrist streaking my hair sticky. I look down at my arm. I hadn’t even noticed the ice cream was melting so fast. I smudge it onto my jeans and find this only mingles it with the dust from my pants, painting my arm a gooey brown color.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Fahrion Kryptov
Member # 1544

- posted      Profile for Fahrion Kryptov   Email Fahrion Kryptov         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally have never been fond of the first-person POV, but I won't bother you with that.

I don't think an icky smeary ice cream is the way to start a story, either, especially since i have never experienced that myself...

Also, the second sentence is a runon that doesn't flow well at all- I had to reread it several times to figure it out.

It's hard to say much plotwise with the little you've written so far- but I wouldn't mind reading what you've got.

Posts: 101 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

- posted      Profile for Swimming Bird           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the cozy feel of it. It's a good scene, though you take too much space to tell us nothing is happening. Sure it's quaint setting with what seems like qaint folks, but something should be happening.

I'd recommend cutting out the ice cream bit, it feels too clumsy, and fill it with some action.

Posts: 151 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlene
Member # 2745

- posted      Profile for Carlene   Email Carlene         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually liked the ice cream part. I had a clear picture of an 11-year-old on a summer day doing nothing. I don't have time to read it until the weekend. If that's not too late, send it my way.
Posts: 32 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read. The text doesn't hook me (though paragraph 1 was starting to), but the title does.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Nit... towns don't bustle, the townspeople in them do.

Except for the Yankee hat, you could be describing life in my town. Most folks are Mariners fans out here. For the record, it's not much more rewarding than being a Trailblazer fan.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

Thanks all! I sent them off to those who offered.

Any other comments?

Saengard
Member # 2782

- posted      Profile for Saengard   Email Saengard         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a 'My Girl' or 'Stand by Me' kind of coming of age, kiss and tell thingy? It's a decent start at capturing a time frame.

I apologize that I don't have time to read more of what you have.

Only pointer is grammar and punctuation. Keep up the good work.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
TL 601
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for TL 601   Email TL 601         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't this win one of the notebored challenges? This is a fun story -- has it been edited since then? Or is that what you're looking to do now?
Posts: 237 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

Hey TL! Yah, this won the noteboard challenge. I'm trying to beef it up into more of a story cause I really like the character. So I was just getting some more feedback. I have it on my list for august at the LH board. I'd like to send it out to a YA mag. once I get it smoothed out. I might post it there on my page in the next few days.
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I like!

I don't agree with the above assessment of the second sentence. I actually loved it, but maybe because I write a lot of sentences just like it. The only thing I could suggest to improve that sentence would be to add 'to' before the 'escape the heat.'

I'd like to read. Do you want me now or do you have enough readers and would prefer to wait for the next revision? Up to you.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mechwarrior
Member # 2796

- posted      Profile for Mechwarrior   Email Mechwarrior         Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds decent so far. I like the ice cream scene but it is a bit confusing the way it's written - the sticky hairy arms bit - assuming it's a male but could be most any age.

"town bustle around like little bees in a hive. All the retired men gather at the hardware store and the women at the Five and Dime to argue over the various points of cooking and pig raising and escape the heat."

Just a suggestion to delete the "little", if they were giant bees I'd understand. The second like could use some clarification - who's talking about cooking and who's talking about pig raising? Are they discussing escaping the heat. As for the bustling town, I'd say that's fine. A town is generally thought of as a collection of people, not the buildings.

Good luck.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read. If you need another reader send to wolf_dude64@yahoo.com
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

Thanks for the extra offers. I'll take you both up on it. I have a lot of work to do on this piece and I need all the help I can get.

And Mechwarrior: It's not arm hair that I'm refering to, it's head hair ("...wipe the sweat from my forhead...").

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.