Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Rewritten High School Sample

Author Topic: Rewritten High School Sample
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Theokaluza said
quote:
It would be fascinating to see you all re-write these segments now that you've learned a little more about writing.
I'm more than happy to be given a chance to redeem my earlier effort.

The original
---
He was down there...I could tell it...moved fairly silently. For a human...almost under me...gotta time it right or I'm dead...now--flip down and hang from the waist..."I need to--" Blast! He's throwing something...drop and twist...farther than I thought...silence...It was his shield, it'll come back...roll and reach... this is gonna hurt...wrench it out of the air...pain--stand smoothly, don't show it...hand him the sheild now..."Is this yours?"

#

I just stared at the cloaked figure who had managed to grab my sheild. From the voice it was female, hard to tell with the cloak. How in the world had she been able to move like that with a cloak...I reached out to take the offered shield...She let go of it easily, then pushed back her hood. large dark eyes dominated the finely molded face, she had a slightly elongated skull. Something about her nagged at the edge of my mind...She spoke again.

"Harlan Jamos?" A low voice, but not hard to hear.

I nodded.
---

The rewrite
---
He was down there. Kerelnie could tell from the faint scent of musk that overlay the smells of the city. Harlan Jamos moved silently, for a human. He was almost under the balcony Ker crouched on. She had to time it right or she was dead.

Now.

She flipped down to hang from the waist. "I need to--"

His weight shifted as he threw something at her--his crookstick. Ker dropped, twisting out of the way. It was farther than she thought and without the buoyancy of water, her weight fell heavily on the ground.

Above her, she heard the faint whistle in the air as the crookstick spun back along its path.

---
Not brilliant, but a definite improvement. It's actually coherent now. In truth, if I were rewriting this I probably wouldn't start the story here. I'd back it up a couple of days to avoid the flashback that I had written only two pages in to the story. I was young! I didn't know better.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited August 11, 2005).]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
The only real problem for me is two consecutive adverbs ending in "ly."
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you.

To clarify this: I'm not looking for critiques. This isn't something I would use because the story starts in the wrong place. I just thought that Theokaluza's idea sounded fun.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see the amusement value in this, unfortunately the biggest problem with my earliest stories (I still haven't dug out the ones from high school...they're on an old computer that I'd have to take the time to set up rather than in paper notebooks.) is that they began with terrible info dumps. I could imporve the language, I suppose, but though the style is a bit immature it's not really what makes the stories bad.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mechwarrior
Member # 2796

- posted      Profile for Mechwarrior   Email Mechwarrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I like re-working old stories. It's a great way to practice critiquing and editing. You also learn how to slash-and-burn your own writing to improve it. If I look at an old story and don't see a lot of room for improvement then I don't feel like I have learned much since I wrote it.

Because disk space is abundant, I also like to keep earlier draft versions. I can see how my writing and editing has improved. It also helps me focus the story if I lose track of the original concept.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.