Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Switch! - final edit

Author Topic: Switch! - final edit
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Comments needed on the whole piece, svp.

I think I have this more or less the way I want it now.

Any comments would be appreciated before I send this out. I'm considering Apex as a possible market.

The full text is also posted in my PSC forum at Liberty Hall.

-------------------
Title: Switch!
Word Count: 499
Genre: sci-fi
-------------------

They say a child doesn’t start making coherent memories until after age of three or four, but that isn’t always true. At least, I don’t think it is.

For me, it seems as though I have always had memories. I remember sitting in my crib, playing with my stuffed animals; and standing in front of the oven, watching mom’s chocolate chip cookies bake. I remember learning to walk and talk -- struggling to feel coordinated. I remember...

It’s just that now, I’m not so sure those memories are mine. In fact, I’m not so sure any of my memories are real.

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited October 04, 2005).]

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
keldon02
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for keldon02   Email keldon02         Edit/Delete Post 
"doesn't-isn't-don't" confuses me. Any way to lose one of the negatives in the first paragraph? Makes good sense otherwise and it hooks me.
Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

- posted      Profile for Swimming Bird           Edit/Delete Post 
Take out everything before "I remember..."

It's all superfluous and clumsy.

Posts: 151 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
chuck7
Member # 2888

- posted      Profile for chuck7           Edit/Delete Post 
I don’t agree, I think the first part adds information. But I do think that the first and second paragraphs could be combined. In doing so, I think you can cut the last sentence of the first paragraph.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
So much depends on where this is heading. The recounted memories don't work for me--they come across as an adult's version of how they imagine a small child might feel. But that might be intentional. Perhaps even intrinsic to the story. So I hesitate to criticise .
Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
At this point she's really looking for final readers of the whole thing, not crits on the snipped posted. Or she might have sent it already.

I will say, at this late date, that perhaps the second sentance should be changed to "At least, I didn't think it was." That gives a little more connection to the revelation of the last line of your snippet.

And how can you not know where this is going, Buffy? Aren't you paying attention?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the comments. However, Survivor is correct, I am looking for final edit readers. For me, that means no major plot changes or massive re-writing; I want to make sure there are no errors and that the logic works.

quote:
They say a child doesn’t start making coherent memories until after age of three or four, but that isn’t always true. At least, I don’t think it is.

Survivor, I thought I needed the "it is" to agree with the "isn't" of the previous sentence since they reference the same concept. Also, I'm wanting to communicate that she is experiencing confusion right now, not that she never that it was true.

Am I off base? Should I consider a different way to communicate that confusion?

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
I already commented on the last version, but if you are just looking for a quick read through for errors, send it my way. wolf_dude64@yahoo.com
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

No, the verb needs to agree in terms of person and all, but you can use verbs in different tenses to refer to the same thing.

Using the past tense is a good way to hint that she isn't so certain anymore, meaning she's not sure what to think now.

And even if it were technically a grammatical violation, it says what you want to say. That's the only standard I use.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
keldon02
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for keldon02   Email keldon02         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't the logic which made the first paragraph hard for me to read but the superficial appearance of illogic.The three "n't" contractions threw me.

Stopping to sort out negatives may be easy for some folks but what if the editor is a bit obsessive compulsive and dyslexic?

Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

It's just so easy to misread "any comments would be appreciated" as meaning that any comments would be appreciated. My mistake!
Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

No, I'm sure she appreciated the comment, but I'm just surprised you missed the discussion of her story idea on the other forum. The fact that the character's memories don't seem like normal memories is the whole point of the piece, so it was good that you noticed that.

And I was overstating when I said she wasn't interested in feedback on the opening text. After all, my comment was on a line in the opening, the same one that had been mentioned by then. I just meant that she was also looking for final draft readers.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

If the story was posted before, I missed it. We busy editors, you know .

I gathered that the premise was that the character unusually had memories from the years prior to about three or four years of age. My problem was that the memories as presented didn't convince. Now that may be deliberate--the story goes on, for example, to explain that this person only thinks they have these memories, but they are in fact fabrications by an adult imagining how a two-year-old would perceive the world (like when adults are hypnotised and then 'regressed', and act as they think small children act, rather than as such children actually do act).

Or, it could be that the memories are meant to convince me that they are genuinely the memories of a two-year-old. Without reading the rest of the story, I can't say, so I hesitate to suggest "but these aren't believable as memories from a two-year-old, even if such memories could exist".

Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like it. I would really want to keep reading it!

Good luck with your submission!
Ronnie

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

I do appreciate all the comments, but I should have been more explicit about wanting comments on the whole thing before sending it out.

Buffy, don't worry about missing anything. I think Survivor was refering to my thread about androids and memories over in Discussions.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, now that Robyn has validated the spoiler, I'll affirm that rather than being vague.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

It isn't necessarilly a spoiler. While there is a twist, the hints need to be there in order for it to work. There's no reason why an intelligent reader couldn't put things together.
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.