Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Great Mother, Great Father

Author Topic: Great Mother, Great Father
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooky? Info-dumpy? Confusing?

I don't have a complete story, and it's due tomorrow, so I don't need full readers -- just comments on the opening, I think.

Suicide would change nothing.

To die a loser would leave Officer Tsichem a loser: to go on to the Great Mother not for glory, but to go through her bowels, to rot, like the great foolish Father, whom she dismembered to make the heavens.

This was all that kept Tsichem going, wading through hip-deep water in the flooded city of Southport, past flooded cars and downed power lines. Hurricane storm surge and Mississippi mud swirled with traces of sewage to make a reek like that of the Mother's bowels.

His wife and baby, killed, through Her indifference and the indifference of Her people. . . his mind shied away from it.

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited October 12, 2005).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Jarring.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but we move from what seems to be a fantasy opening (an utterly unfamiliar name and religion) to a sudden collision with very recent reality.

I'd have no idea where it's going; I;d read on to start with. But I am very cautious of fiction directly related to events like Hurricane Katrina.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I agree. It seems to be two stories that don't want to be together.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

- posted      Profile for ThisProteanSoul   Email ThisProteanSoul         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't strange to me, because I'm pagan and hear references like those all the time in the modern world. Plus, the title of Officer automatically made me assume it was present day and placement.

"To die a loser would leave Officer Tsichem a loser"

That seems to be a taken? It seems repetitive to me. To die a loser would leave him in shame, or something else was what I was expecting.

You also mention the Mother's bowels twice, also becoming repetitive.

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I have some confussion. This starts off with an old world, fantasy feel which clashes with the modern images of cars and power lines. This could work, but something about this opening feels jarring.

The religious references seem analogous to Native American culture in some ways, but the name "Tsichem" makes me think Russian (like Tsar) or an anglocized Asian name; from the name I don't have a clear image of the character and so I don't have anyone with whom to connect.

I agree with TPS about the first line being repetative, but it's an easy fix.

Out of curiosity, what is the assignment? I could hazard a guess, but I was just wondering.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think it works, but you might want to consider making the modern world setting obvious before the myth thoughts, so we can place them correctly.

The first lines made me think it was a modern world setting, and then I drifted to a fictional world, then back to a real world. If the first lines gave a stronger sense of the real world, I might not drift so far.

The religion or myth bits work, but you might want to delay them a little if they aren't important to the story. If they are important, even only a little, I think they work fine where they are.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul-girtbooks
Member # 2799

- posted      Profile for Paul-girtbooks   Email Paul-girtbooks         Edit/Delete Post 
I found the second line confusing. As with the others when I got to the next part I thought I was in a different story.
Posts: 203 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
The assignment is just to write a story based on a story idea developed earlier.

I altered the beginning thus:

quote:
The first chief of the Cuhokia Empire forced stranded time-travelers to work their technical skills to make his people great, building ships and airplanes and bombs to spread the worship of the Great Mother and subdue the world. Now Europe, Asia and Africa were free; but no one could stop North America from its blood sacrifices. Or from the slaughter of Cherokee and Iroquois rebels. It wasn't because of the Great Mother's help; She helps no one. As the entire city of Southport, destroyed by a Category 5 hurricane, had reason to know.

And as for Officer Tsichem . . . he couldn't stop thinking of suicide.

I'm hoping OSC (and editors!) really agree with his principle that the first paragraph is free. I had a devil of a time trying to poke all this into the text, as you all seemed to notice.

This will probably be critiqued tomorrow (Thus) in class (unless others did their homework too!).

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
No, you don't need the info-dump. You can hint at alternate history/time-travel a couple of times and make it work.

You're trying too hard to put "important" information up front, and it's breaking your opening. We don't need a cosmology or history lesson right in the first paragraph. Give us a Tsichem lesson first.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I am just one crackpot editor and surely you should listen to OSC instead of me, but I do not believe the first paragraph is free. Nothing's free, esp. in short fiction - but nothing is free, anywhere, ever.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Except advice.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.