Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Snakehead (revised)

Author Topic: Snakehead (revised)
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
Horror/dark fantasy, 7,000 words, still looking for readers on the whole thing. By the way, thanks for all the comments earlier.

Steven walked into the living room and stopped when he saw his nephew, Danny. It wasn't his presence that paused Steven (Danny always barged in without Steven's knowledge), but it was the smell coming off of the boy's jacket.

“When did you start smoking weed?” said Steven.

Danny hesitated, then said, “I don't know what you're talkin about.”

“Don't lie to me.”

“I'm not.”

“Have you smelled yourself?” said Steven. Danny didn't say anything, then Steven's mouth dropped. “You were smoking it in my house.”

“No way.”

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan James O'Sullivan
Member # 2376

- posted      Profile for Dan James O'Sullivan   Email Dan James O'Sullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have a look if you don't mind. storyteller18@hotmail.com
Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

- posted      Profile for ThisProteanSoul   Email ThisProteanSoul         Edit/Delete Post 
Far more appealing this time. Good job on shaping it up.

"It wasn't his presence that paused Steven (Danny always barged in without Steven's knowledge), but it was the smell coming off of the boy's jacket"

I'd just drop the 'but' in there. And I don't know the common opinion on commentary within parentheses. It might be more accepted to have it within dashes instead? Or simply to say 'for Danny always barged in"...

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I would also feel more comfortable with "gave Steven pause" than "paused Steven".

Also, the "then" in the next to last line should be an "and" or something. For some reaon, emphasizing the post hoc seems to negate the promptor hoc natura of the connection.

Aside from those minor nits, I like it. I'll try 7,000.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Much better.
I'll second Survivor's nits, but otherwise it works fine.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Nit: it looks like it was Steven, not Danny, that barged in. Easily fixed.

I'll read, but it might take me a week.

Great beginning, by the way. I'll want to know Danny's age and Steven's opinion, but still, I'm hooked.

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited October 20, 2005).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.