Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » I Am the Queen

Author Topic: I Am the Queen
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
2850 words, SF. I would like comments on the 1st 13 or on the whole story; it's due in OSC's class on Tuesday. Thanks! (Note on the punctuation discussion below: OSC doesn't judge on mechanics, in class, although of course I want to get everything right.)

(Edit: this is also posted on my "Sub Club" on LH.)

--
Diane opened the door to her townhouse, and showed her neighbor in. It was just Bill: ever-hopeful Bill, and she hated to encourage him because there was just no chemistry, but she was still bubbling over, wanting to show everyone her new pet. Her alien pet.

"I have all the manuals," she said, "and I have a translation module for when its language ability kicks in, and I have dietary supplements, since it's adapted to a different ecosystem---"

"Where is it?" Bill said. He took off his boots: a requirement, in her house.

She led him into the living room, opened the carrying cage, and picked it up, very gently.

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited November 06, 2005).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm teetering on whether we want more pet description earlier or not. I'm not sure.

I think if you are turning this in as a class assignment you might want to put a semi colon before the last sentence of the first paragraph, ...her new pet; her alien pet.

If you've cleaned this up since its posting at LH, send it on over and I'll give a once over Sunday. I'll probably do a lot more punctuation examination though.

EDIT: had to add this -

"If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don’t have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you’ve been to college." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by pantros (edited November 05, 2005).]

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
In order to use a semicolon in that sentence, the final clause must be independent; it's not. What you suggest would be just converting a sentence fragment to a comma splice.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
What would be correct in that spot? Is it okay to leave a fragment like that? would that be an appropriate spot for a dash?

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Graff
Member # 2648

- posted      Profile for 'Graff   Email 'Graff         Edit/Delete Post 
Leave it as a fragment. Claim stylistic immunity.

There will be people who will argue that it's incorrect, but let them. Who really cares? I like the effect it has there and elsewhere.

-----------
Wellington

Posts: 114 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Diane opened the door to her townhouse, and showed her neighbor in.

This line does not make it clear whether they are both outside coming in or whether she opened the door to Bill.
The word 'townhouse' seem a little out of POV unless she is outside. So I am inclined to think these two people arrive together.

quote:

It was just Bill: ever-hopeful Bill, and she hated to encourage him because there was just no chemistry, but she was still bubbling over, wanting to show everyone her new pet. Her alien pet.

Regardless of the pictuation/mechanics, (which I am unclear on) I enjoy this little paragraph. It gives a great image of someone excited about their new 'toy'.

quote:

"I have all the manuals," she said, "and I have a translation module for when its language ability kicks in, and I have dietary supplements, since it's adapted to a different ecosystem---"

Ditto my comment above.

quote:

"Where is it?" Bill said. He took off his boots: a requirement, in her house.

I was not sure if she had to take off her shoes too. It does however, show that he is a regular here.

I would read on, and mostly because I want to 'see' the alien pet. I like the voice used in this piece.
If you want readers you can send it my way.

Edit: As to the opening line ambiguity to which I referred, you could clear it up, if inclined, very easily. For instance, if they are both outside arriving together, you could say, 'Diane unlocked the door to her townhouse'

or if she is responding to a knock at the door you could do something like:

Diane opened the door; it was just her neighbour Bill, ever-hopeful Bill. She showed him in but hated to encourage him...

Far from an ideal reworking, so grain'o'salt it if you want.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited November 06, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus@work
Member # 2959

- posted      Profile for Crotalus@work   Email Crotalus@work         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to read the whole thing, but since it's due tomorrow I really don't know if I could turn it around that fast. If you still need a full crit send it to the address attached to this profile.

My comments on the opening: for some reason it made me think of Gizmo, you know the furry pre-gremlin. Maybe the language ability thing, i don't know. I'd like a stronger first sentence. Overall your writing is clean and I was hooked.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I have some time today and could give you some comments if you want to email the story to me.
Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keldon02
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for keldon02   Email keldon02         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. I'm hooked.

Its too late to really do much on the sentence structure and flow given your deadline.

Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Hey Will,
I enjoyed the story very much.
I have emailed the comments to you.

Christine started a thread recently about how to write humorous stories.

This piece was fun.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianJKoch
Member # 2966

- posted      Profile for BrianJKoch   Email BrianJKoch         Edit/Delete Post 
The first sentence had too much exposition to hook me. I would have eased into the details.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn. Wish I'd seen this sooner.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
SOLD!!!!

(I discuss this a little on my blog, youwillknow.blogspot.com . Thanks to all my critiquers!)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited November 10, 2005).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, Will!
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

I don't know if we helped much.
The story was already great from the start.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited November 11, 2005).]

Crotalus@work
Member # 2959

- posted      Profile for Crotalus@work   Email Crotalus@work         Edit/Delete Post 
This is great. I posted on your blog, but I'll say it again. Congratulations! I'm just glad that I had a chance to critique it, and hope that my crit did more good than harm. In either case, it is pretty much a moot point, since you sold it to OSC. I can't wait to see this in IGMS. You know, the only thing that I think would make me happier was if I sold one of MY stories. This is a great online community, made so by its people and its purpose. It is a joy to revel in the accomplishments of the fellow writers that you meet here. Write on Will!
Posts: 57 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Yipee! Nice one, Will!
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liadan
Member # 2967

- posted      Profile for Liadan   Email Liadan         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it and it made me wonder what the new pet is.

However I would ditch the first sentence. For me the story started at: It was just Bill -

Posts: 18 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.