Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Hero Academy- a comedy of heroic porportions

Author Topic: Hero Academy- a comedy of heroic porportions
dreadlord
Member # 2913

- posted      Profile for dreadlord   Email dreadlord         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, I know that is a lame title. any help with it is appreciated.

The sounds of battle pervaded the training ground of the academy. as Shift, a master of disguise and, well, shapeshifting, blew it out with Golem, the rock-hard class bully.
"Beware... you cannot hope to defeat my brute strength." Golem's gravely voice filled Shift with amusement. these where the moments shift lived for- tormenting Golem.

Shift flipped over Golem and blasted Him out of the arena in a cannon form, ending the battle. "Golem, you know that I have defeated you every other time We have battled, so, I just wanted to say, thanks for the watch."

Golem's fury was boundless as He saw the empty place on His wrist where His watch was normaly.

short, yes, funny, probably not, but I am working on it.
HELP ME WITH THE TITLE!
[This message has been edited by dreadlord (edited December 14, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by dreadlord (edited December 15, 2005).]

Posts: 240 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm. Okay. You've got some basic mechanical difficulties going on here, for one. Stuff that'll drive the average reader nuts.

A.) You're going to want to capitalize the first letter of each sentence; that's just a grammatical rule (some poetry is excused)

B.) Not sure if the stuff in parenthesis is meant as part of the actual story, or a note to critiquers. If the first is true...the words within the parenthesis don't fit the rest of the text. If the latter is the case...don't do it. We don't need you to explain specific portions of your work in such detail, since looking at them will be explanation enough. All the inserted footnotes do is kick us out of the flow of reading.

C.) I (and this one is just personal preference, so take it with a grain of salt) tend to start a new paragraph when using dialogue (unless the dialogue is being said by the same person who is thinking/acting at the time; ignore that for now as it deals with point-of-view). Since the UBB code, or whatever they use here, doesn't allow indentations, I just put an extra space in-between paragraphs.

D.) Okay, I'll recap the above three points by illustrating how I would organize the intro. Note that I'm not trying to write your story for you, just show proper grammatical structure within this context:

quote:
The sounds of battle pervaded over the training ground of the academy. As Shift, a master of disguise and, well, shapeshifting, blew it out with Golem.

"Beware, Shift, you cannot hope to defeat my brute strength."

"Golem, you know that I have defeated you every other time we have battled, so, I just wanted to say, thanks for the watch."

Now I'll go through and give my take on the thing as a whole, or line-by-line. Not sure if 'pervaded' is the right word in your first sentence. At least, not with 'over' after it. In the second sentence, starting with 'as' makes it sound like an erroneous continuation of the first sentence. In the same sentence, 'well' doesn't really help you at all, aside from making the narrative voice sound a bit more conversational.

I didn't get what you meant by 'blew it out,' either. I think you're going to need to be more specific. In the "beware, Shift" line, you might want to put some kind of pause between 'Shift' and 'you'...an elipsis or em-dash, or something. A comma simply doesn't allow the line to flow.

Also, you might want to throw in some simple 'Golem said' or 'Shift said' clarifiers after the dialogue. Example, with corrections:

"Beware, Shift...you cannot hope to defeat my brute strength," Golem said.

This will help the reader know who's speaking, and is of the same variety as the he said/she said type, only more specific. Furthermore, this would allow you to remove the naming of Shift in the sentence, which only makes the line a bit awkward or clunky sounding.

To be honest, I didn't know who was your main character here. The POV, which usually points to this, is so vague that I couldn't really tell. Is it Shift or Golem? Also, I'm not sure if there's enough information for the reader to get the mention of the watch as comedy, unless there was more exposition before this bit of text. In that case, this wouldn't be your first thirteen lines. It just doesn't function well as an intro in its current form.

The basis for your tale (the characters, setting, circumstances) could be very, very interesting. But the way it is portrayed is too confusing for the reader to really invest himself/herself in the story.

Inkwell
------------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Inkwell (edited December 13, 2005).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I would say, insert capitols and fix the structure and it will make it much easier to read.

Basics first.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
First, clean up your narrative voice. Don't write in conversational english. There are places for it, but this is not one of them.

Pervading happens through things, not over them. And you can't say "pervaded through" because that would be redundant.

Capitalize Sentences.

Every shift in action from one character to another should have a new paragraph. This includes dialogue.

Spoken sentences, though part of a larger sentence, still start with their own capital.

Parenthesis should not be used in narrative fiction.

As always, there are exceptions to every rule, but this piece of work, does not invoke exception.

There is no PoV, we don't know who we are supposed to be seeing the action from. Pick one character and follow their perceptions.

Introduce the characters more slowly through action.

No, there is no humor because there is no setup, surprise or twist. All we see is long-winded bravado. We don't even see them fighting, which by the 'sounds of battle' reference, we should.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
Pervaded over, sounds ungainly to me in the first line. I think 'sounds of battle' is a little vague, and I'm starting to think it's a little on the generic and cliche side, these days. Maybe I've just run into it a few times recenlty.

The paranthetical notes didn't appeal to me. They seemed to interrupt the story too much. I don't think it would be wrong to say, "Shift the shapeshifter" and "The immensely strong Golem" or whatever else seems good.

Also, you seem to have two characters speaking within the same paragraph, which tends to confuse (me, at least).

I don't feel hooked, and I'm always a sucker for a good story like this, too. I think you've got the details down concerning what you want to do, now I'd focus on what is different, what is going to make this story unique and fresh.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eclectic skeptic
Member # 3046

- posted      Profile for eclectic skeptic   Email eclectic skeptic         Edit/Delete Post 
Pervaded seems like the wrong word choice, it doesn't facilitate a smooth read in that sentence in my opinion. I stumbled alot with 'as Shift, ...' right on through till the end. () these don't work to well as your using them, not sure if your trying to be humorous or explain to the reader or what.

Sounds interesting, but Im just too lazy of a reader to want to jump the hurdles you have put in the way, to continue reading as it is.

I like the idea of a man named 'Shift' being a master of disguise, and shape shifter. Especially if you develop some backstory on how and why he became what he is, and how he got the name.

Posts: 60 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreadlord
Member # 2913

- posted      Profile for dreadlord   Email dreadlord         Edit/Delete Post 
well, now that i re-read this i realize that I have been relying on word and those types of things, so i cannot spell or capitalize very well in sentences without such things.

Shift is a mischeif maker, much like Loki or the Mask. many of the same abilitys, too. transformation, giant guns from nowhere, the usual. He also has the same personality as Loki. fun-loving, funny, and devious. Shift got his powers from this wristband that he found while visiting relatives in australia.

before the wristband, Shift was a comedic actor and much of that personality has pervaded in his form. (havent thought of a name for the alter ego of Shift) Golem was an archeologist whose genetic makeup was altered by the Villain: Dome, a technological genious who made a suit from the tech He stole from the U.S. Department of security. (never said He was a GOOD tech wiz.) Shifts best friends are Cat and Gravitrax. Cat is a trigger-happy, long-clawed, non-balanced, part-feline-part-human. gravitrax is a calm, cool, and collected guy who can increase, decrease, and otherwise control gravity. golem is a dim-witted rock-hard moron who thinks that just being made of stone makes him better than anyone else. Golem is very conceited. the story is in third person omniscient. which means that I dont focus in on any one character.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Rather than not focusing in on one specific character, you can tell your story using a shifting 3rd Person Limited Omniscience. For each scene, pick the best character to tell the story from their PoV. As long as you use a section break (blank line "#") or a chapter break between character PoV's it should be easier to read and be more immersive.

Using a full Omniscient will hinder your ability to create a bond with the reader. Generally it should be avoided.

EDIT: In today's day and age, it is a display of respect for your readers or reviewers to run anything you submit for review through a basic spell check and editing process. If your story looks thrown together, say using only the submit window as an editor, we will treat it with the same level of respect that our subconsious tells us that you treated us with. Always take the time to clean up the obvious mistakes. Asking us to do first grade editing is, well, degrading.

[This message has been edited by pantros (edited December 14, 2005).]

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
What pantros said.

Critiquing takes a tremendous amount of time. Even these little 13 line snippets can take me upwards of half an hour to critique, if I'm having to slog through sloppy spelling and grammar. Give us all a break. Submit your best work; don't just slosh words into a word processor. You might get more critiquers that way.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
The lack of capitals at the beginning of the first sentence made me decide not to read any further.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
I was the same as Kickle. I saw a lack of capitals (as well as the parentheses) and read no further.

I will also add to what patros and Elan have said that these tokens of respect should extend to regular posts as well. At very least, capitalize sentences and the personal pronoun "I" when you post. Otherwise it appears lazy and careless. If you show a lack of respect for yourself and what you have to say, other members will have that same lack of respect for you.

[This message has been edited by sojoyful (edited December 14, 2005).]

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sry
Member # 3052

- posted      Profile for sry   Email sry         Edit/Delete Post 
I am just not quick enough!! Everyone seems to have posted here, starting with Inkwell's intensely thorough thrice over.

Bottom line, didn't work for me. I felt it was "trying too hard" in tone and didn't feel I had any one MC with whom to engage. Had no sense of setting really, no texture.

-sry

Posts: 33 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.