Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Waiting--Flash

Author Topic: The Waiting--Flash
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a early flash (990wds) that I'm trying to figure out what to do with. I'm cleaning house, and I need to get more stuff out there making the rounds. Any help you can give would be great--the whole thing, or just the first 13.

-------------------------
The Waiting

Sareck faced the wind. His finely woven tunic flapped against his chest as the salt polished his cheeks. He would never say aloud, even to himself, why he stood on these rocks, watching the sea, waiting. The sounds of the tide rushed towards him bringing kelp and seagrass as its offering. A gull cried out a warning. A crab scuttled beneath a rock. And Sareck waited, knowing that what he waited for would never come.

It had been this way for twelve years now. A constant vigil for the ghost of what he’d lost to the ancient sea. The waves this day seemed so tame compared to what raged the night he sailed his family across the gulf at Taiya. The sucking black. The groaning mast. And then all lost in the night.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the writing. The tone seems just right.

I'm put off by not knowing what MC is waiting for. Just tell us, in the first sentence or 2!

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited December 15, 2005).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read. Please send it, with any info on how and what kind of crit you prefer.

Mike

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NMgal
Member # 2769

- posted      Profile for NMgal   Email NMgal         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it. Please send it my way.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
By the end of the first 13 I know we are looking at castaways.

I have time to read this. Send it over.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

Thanks guys, I'll get those out tonight.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sry
Member # 3052

- posted      Profile for sry   Email sry         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the writing EXCEPT for the second sentence:
quote:

He would never say aloud, even to himself, why he stood on these rocks, watching the sea, waiting.

which also, oddly enough, is the only other thing I didn't like: I don't know what he's waiting for--and if you're going to tell me he won't even admit it to himself, instead tell me WHY he won't? Will it scare him? Give him false hope? Dredge up bad memories? Is this fantasy and thinking of sometheing will have some magical effect?

I have no clue what genre this is and no clue what the story is going to be...other than the above-quoted sentence, I liked what I read, though.

-sry

Posts: 33 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

Sorry, I forgot to mention, this is speculative fiction.

I agree about the second sentence. It's always bugged me, but I left it to see if it was just me, or if it really was wrong.

Calligrapher
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Calligrapher   Email Calligrapher         Edit/Delete Post 
pixydust, I'd like to read you story. Please email it to me.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the first thirteen need to be looked at similarly to the way a newspaper article is written: The who, why, when, and where need to be made clear as soon as possible, or you will lose the reader. Your opening comes very close. It gives me enough information to make me want to read more.

Posts: 136 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Done, pixy. You should have my response.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Calligrapher   Email Calligrapher         Edit/Delete Post 
pixydust, I just emailed you my critique. Hope it helps.
Posts: 136 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

Thanks you guys.
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, it sounds great! Could I read the rest/whatever you have so far? My email is delphikib@gmail.com. Thanks!
Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightWolf_ofClan_Zero
Member # 3074

- posted      Profile for MidnightWolf_ofClan_Zero   Email MidnightWolf_ofClan_Zero         Edit/Delete Post 
woah. I'll read it. Send it. Please. I posted some junk on here, and, if you will, take the time to read it. I really need some critiquing (sp?) done. Good or bad. Good writers, heck, ALL writers are welcome to input on my work. Purty please with sugar on top? Its called 'The Experiment'. Thanks bunches.

~Jinx

[This message has been edited by MidnightWolf_ofClan_Zero (edited December 17, 2005).]

Posts: 29 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.