Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » first novel attempt

Author Topic: first novel attempt
illbethehero
Member # 3105

- posted      Profile for illbethehero   Email illbethehero         Edit/Delete Post 
Im 20 and Im attempting my first novel. please critique.

I wake up but I don’t open my eyes. I lay where I am for a few minutes. I am cold and wet and it takes me a while to figure out where I am. My eyes open but its still too dark for me to see anything. I reach for my digital watch and click the illumination button. Its 4:16 am. By the light of my watch I can see that the hard ground I am lying on is soaked with the same dew that covers your car on an early morning. Thank god it’s only September.

My neck and back ache like hell and I know I wont be able to fall asleep again. I pick up the clothes I had been using as blanket and pillow and stuff them into my backpack. I stand up between the power generators that I am using for shelter and stretch. I walk over to the chain link fence separating the

[This message has been edited by illbethehero (edited January 02, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited January 02, 2006).]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NMgal
Member # 2769

- posted      Profile for NMgal   Email NMgal         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a cliche to start with somebody waking up. There is no action in the first two paragraphs. The interesting part begins in the third paragraph. The MC is young, homeless, and hungry. Why? What happened to him/her? This is where you should begin your story.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Note that you *can* start with someone waking up, but it's inadvisable w/o good reason. Same goes for first person, present tense.

MC realizes where he/she is, but he doesn't tell us! We're at the end of 13 lines and we still don't know what he knows about his situation. You can just tell us! (If you can't tell us, your readers, who can you tell? )

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrianJKoch
Member # 2966

- posted      Profile for BrianJKoch   Email BrianJKoch         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't deal with present tense novels. It's okay in screenplays though.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. I find myself less interested in present tense novels. But that's just me -- I can't write present tense, so that might be why. But that's good that you can write present tense, I find it tough.

I wasn't really drawn in, there wasn't really a sufficient hook there for me. =/ That's really all I've got to say, so good luck with your story. ^-^

Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL 601
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for TL 601   Email TL 601         Edit/Delete Post 
Please don't start your story with someone waking up. This is becoming such a peeve of mine. In medias res.
Posts: 237 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
illbethehero
Member # 3105

- posted      Profile for illbethehero   Email illbethehero         Edit/Delete Post 
thank you for the advice. im considering completely deleting the first 3 paragraphs and continuing there. everyone that posted on this please review my new beginning on the post titled 'novel beginning 2'. thank you!
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.