Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Asperger's aliens

Author Topic: Asperger's aliens
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the aliens, and their world; and I have the human visitors. What might happen, that would involve individual characters? I'm having some trouble going from "the humans did this and the aliens did that" to "John, Sue, and Puep-Hedde did such-and-such."

The aliens are intelligent intertidal creatures whose reproductive unit is about 10-20 individuals. They spend time in a community pool, where they emit sperm, eggs, whatever, unconsciously; these come together in the water and form the babies. The adults almost always eat in the pool, and they're messy eaters, which gives the babies something to grow on. An alien can't distinguish its children, or who it mated with, so all loyalty is to the community. They don't have loyalty to individuals -- like herd animals.

Their language and their personal dealings have little emotional content; they're mostly rational agents, and they'd remind us alternately of Aspberger's cases (bright, scientific, and emotionally unaware) or even evil beings (in that they don't care about individuals, or not much).

The humans are a group of libertarians who fled a crackdown on cultural, political, and religious diversity, a hundred years back. The ship they're in is a warship (a military unit defected). It took them a hundred years to get to the alien system, so they've little fear of pursuit. In a century of living in an artificial environment, their libertarian, tolerant ways are under strain, since they have to cooperate on almost everything.

They want to settle in the system; the aliens may not let them.

I can think of some conflicts that could generate characters:

* Aliens are afraid of our ability to work as a unit, for irrational reasons; they may decide to exterminate us pre-emptively
* Other aliens want to cut a deal, to get our interstellar drive, or other things
* Humans disagree on whether to disarm; whether the aliens are naive and to be exploited or dangerous and to be fought or avoided
* Humans note that the aliens reflect their ideology, and are disturbed by it or gratified
* Maybe others

What I'm hoping for is comments along the lines of, wouldn't it be cool if you had such-and-such happen. I'll take any other comments you have, too.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shevivya
Member # 3185

- posted      Profile for shevivya   Email shevivya         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a tiny question. I've done some research on this disorder and I thought it was spelled "Aspergers." After seeing your post I goggled your spelling and found it. So which is it "Aspergers" or "Aspbergers", are they the same, and does the spelling matter?
Posts: 37 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

Ya got me.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
You explained a lot about the alien's mating and feeding habits, as well as some psychology, but what level of technology do they have? Do they even have space flight? And if so, is it only limited to short distance travel, or can they travel within their own solar system? How would the alien technology compare to our current level?

A lot of ideas come to mind, but a lot would depend on exactly what threats the aliens could pose to the humans. Without knowing the tech level of the aliens, one suggestion might be to have some humans start becoming part of the alien way of life, and start joining the alien's groups, thereby losing some of their humanity and becoming part alien. Maybe losing their family ties, for instance. If you really wanted to make it insidious, make it happen only to children.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

I'm imagining that the aliens have space flight (but not interstellar flight), but I'm not committed to it.
Carlene
Member # 2745

- posted      Profile for Carlene   Email Carlene         Edit/Delete Post 
The DSM lists it as Asperger's Syndrome or Asperger's Disorder.

Will, I really liked the conception process of the alien race and the implications for their society, but the eating thing seemed odd to me. Perhaps it’s just the short description used here but it seems comical.

Onto possible conflicts: if the aliens like cooperation, unless they perceive humans as a threat, I don't see why they wouldn't like them working as a unit. The irrationality doesn't work for me for a race of bright, rational, and scientific (your words). I could buy that they misread or misunderstand some social/ emotional cues from the humans and these are interpreted as threatening, but irrationality strikes me as false given the rest of the description (IMO).

I would hope that at least some of the humans think the aliens are worth befriending, although taking advantage of and being scared of the aliens are certainly likely.
In this vein, I think an interesting conflict will be how the crew has to reconcile their values of tolerance and libertarian views when applying those to other species. Especially if the aliens are perceived as a potential threat.

I hope some of this helps. Again, I really liked your new alien race and would definitely want the story to explore conflicts between their views and values, and those of the more independent, individualistic human crew.

[This message has been edited by Carlene (edited January 27, 2006).]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
Just FYI, it is "Asperger's" named for the researcher Hans Asperger.

I wouldn't classify individuals with Asperger's as "bright, scientific and emotionally unaware" however. In my last job I supervised an apartment building for people with mental health diagnoses. One gentleman was diagnosed with Asperger's and he was VERY aware of his emotions - he just often had trouble controlling them, especially in social situations. There tends to be a normal or even high IQ as well as a tendency to become preoccupied with a certain subject nearly to the exclusion of everything else - often leading to extremely in-depth and esoteric knowledge.

There is also a tendency to use very large words (and a lot of them), but often they encounter difficulty in communicating because thoughts and words get strung together often without consideration for what is being said.

Hope it helps.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NMgal
Member # 2769

- posted      Profile for NMgal   Email NMgal         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked with an eight year old girl who had Asperger's. She was the first thing that popped to my mind when I read your title. She was definately on a different level than other children I worked with. I asked her some questions, such as "What's your favorite color?" and she responded "Sea foam green". How many eight year olds differentiate colors like that? (Or maybe I was a bit of a dull child). She was very poised and serious. She never smiled. And, I could use medical terms with her as opposed to layman's terms and she understood me.
Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Asperger... isn't it amazing how easily the internet spreads mispellings?
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I've taught a couple of children with asperger's syndrome. They do becomje focussed to the point of obsession and also the simplest of things can upset them. When upset they are nearly uncontrollable unless they have been through a schooling process.

The thing sbout this is that their behaviour in regard to certain triggers can appear irrational. It isn't to them but it is to an external observer. So, literally anything could be a point of conflict here, from cultural taboos to behavious patterns.

I also once taught a boy with autism. He was high-functioning as it goes and remarkably good at maths. however, the word 'death' set him into a fit. He didn't understand death and that inability meant that he panicked whenever the word was mentioned.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a few thoughts -- top of the head stuff. I don't know if this is the sort of thing you want but here goes. I think water and the ponds have to be critical to your story, otherwise why bother using that sort of set-up except for 'neat-o' factor.

How technologically advanced are these aliens? Do they spend most of their time in the pools? If it were me, I would take the high ground far from the ocean and count on the aliens' reluctance to venture far from the pool. How would these aliens differentiate their loyalty to the group and their loyalty to their particular intertidal pool?

I would also look at the aliens' religious beliefs, just because they are rational beings does not preclude them believing in something greater than themselves. Think of how vulnerable they are to the elements. They must sense power out there.

I would also wonder about genetic diversity within such a community. Do you get the occasional migrant?

On the subject of language, why do they have to have a verbal language? Perhaps they could communicate with each other through chemicals emitted into the water, others receive these chemical which induce a certain sympathetic thought or process of thought. They may not have or need a spoken language.

Cool, imagine getting into a pool with them and they can read all your thoughts! Or your chemical markers come across as evil to them because of your belief in free-will and self-determination.

What would happen if the humans could drop an alka-seltzer into the pond and send them all 'deaf'.

They could have such and allegiance to their own pond because all the sediment acts like a kind of 'archive' a history of thoughts and conversations etc of all the ancestors.
Imagine what memories and feelings and the like, storms or rough seas could stir up.

heh heh, I've gone and amused myself.

Some questions re your conflicts:
* Aliens are afraid of our ability to work as a unit, for irrational reasons; they may decide to exterminate us pre-emptively.

(I thought they were like super-duper rational)

* Other aliens want to cut a deal, to get our interstellar drive, or other things

(I don't understand where the 'other' aliens came from, surely the intertidal aliens would never dream of leaving their ancestral pools.)

* Humans note that the aliens reflect their ideology, and are disturbed by it or gratified

(Aren't these 'libertarians' likely to despise the lack of 'free will' displayed by the aliens' culture? Wouldn't you be tempted to want to get one or two out of their incestuo-soup and into another pool.)

Ideas for sources of conflict:
* Human activity, clearing land, mining resources making cement altering groundwater runoff, sewerage e-coli etc contaminates waterways. Humans never had to live in an ecosystem where another species could complain or take reprisal before.

*Perhaps something has happened to the humans on their long voyage and they have trouble reproducing. Lets say the aliens see this lack of fertility as a clear indication that humans as a species heading for extinction. In that context, if I were an alien and saw humans doing something that would have lasting impacts on me and my progeny I would intervene rather than have to deal with the mess after the humans were gone. It could be something as simple as teaching them riddles or brainteasers conundrums etc to something as devastating the introduction of blue-green algae from the water dumped from the spacecraft upon landing.

*Maybe they just see us as filthy creatures riddled with parasites and diseases, or maybe these renegade soldiers somehow unwittingly introduce a venreal disease into the pools.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited January 28, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

On the small scale stuff,
It would be cool for someone to try and talk an alien into doing something the 'group' did not approve of. Something irrational, or just for the fun of it, or getting one drunk and they wake up in some-one else's pond.

'The serpent beguiled me...'

(Tell me if you want me to shut-up.)

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Perhaps the sediments of the ponds contain some valuable compound, one day when the adults are away someone partially drains a pond to get withdraw the {?}-ium.

wbriggs
Member # 2267

No, these are cool. I especially like the idea that the pools contain something we might want. Somebody might go mine it, and get executed by aliens defending the center of their tribe.

I think of these aliens as not bound to stay in the pool, but always coming back to it: they can hunt or fish together, but when they eat, it'll be back in the pool.

Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Asperger's was highly functional autism. If it's not, what is it?

[This message has been edited by Corky (edited January 29, 2006).]

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Neither term is well defined. But one critical difference is that Asperger's syndrome tends to involve a degree of neurological impairment, people with Asperger's tend to be physically uncoordinated and can also die prematurely due to the failings of their nervous system. True autistics are very rarely physically uncoordinated, in fact they tend to be more coordinated than is average for normal humans. They often act clumsy, but it isn't a neurological impairment.

But other than that (and most people don't regard it as an important point), there isn't a lot of careful distinction drawn between the two.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, that makes sense, Survivor. Thanks.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.