Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » How Aliens Almost Conquered Earth

Author Topic: How Aliens Almost Conquered Earth
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
I just jotted some of this down earlier today when I had nothing else to do. It's sci-fi, and I'd like comments on this opening.

Robin should have called in sick today. She'd woke up with a headache, and the Tylenol wasn't helping, but she decided not to bother. Being a receptionist at the Green Crab Hotel, she had to put up with people who were bigger headaches than what she was having, so she clocked in and sat down at her desk. A minute later, the maid Judy came to her frantically.

“The toilet just ate the janitor!” she screamed.

Yeah, Robin definitely should've called in sick. “Come again?” Robin said.

“The toilet,” Judy panted. “A tongue came out of it, wrapped around the janitor's neck, and swallowed him. I ran out to find someone.”

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanglier
Member # 1313

- posted      Profile for Tanglier   Email Tanglier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Robin should have called in sick today. She'd woke up with a headache, and the Tylenol wasn't helping, but she decided not to bother.

Unless her headache or her taking Tylenol has something to do with the story, cut it.

Posts: 193 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 

Well this is so outrageous you certainly have my attention! I can't get over - green crab hotel. That is such a great visual image, green crab. Ya I would be interested in seeing where this story goes.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessica
Member # 3099

- posted      Profile for Jessica   Email Jessica         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is an interesting idea and a good hook. It's kinda scary--when I was a child I seriously had this re-occuring nightmare that the toilet was trying to eat me...Maybe it was a remnant from the one and only time my dad left the seat up at night . . .
But I think that this first thirteen is good. I think the headache in the being adds to the feel of "It's going to one of those days".

I liked the first two lines of dialog, but I think the second one is a little weak.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apeiron
Member # 2565

- posted      Profile for apeiron   Email apeiron         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Unless her headache or her taking Tylenol has something to do with the story, cut it.

...Why?? I think that's fine. It sets Robin's mood and adds comedic effect later.

My only comment is that I think you should jump into Robin's head in the first sentence and in the "Yeah, Robin definitely should've called in sick" comment. It's her opinion, why shouldn't she think it directly? Reading the first sentence, third person suggested to me that there was a narrator observing Robin, which later doesn't seem to be the case, except in the "Yeah" line.

Overall, good opening, very imaginitive. Nice hook.

Posts: 184 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
The something coming out of the toilet and dragging a person in -- I remember seeing that in some movie about a cruise ship that had gotten a load of some sea beast in its hold. The creature was feasting on the passengers. The story started with some group come to rob(?) the ship and finds the ship deserted.

Other than that, it sounds interesting. Wacky.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aalanya
Member # 3263

- posted      Profile for Aalanya   Email Aalanya         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is your intended audience? If this is a story for kids or teens I think it might work fairly well. If you're trying to target adults I think you need to rework it a bit. The pacing is incredibly fast, the tone is a little over-the-top, the title is a bit silly... That all might work for a kid's story, but not for an adult's story, I think. (I don't think there is anything wrong with writing for children. I just think you need to clarify if you are.)
Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanglier
Member # 1313

- posted      Profile for Tanglier   Email Tanglier         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm one of those no-nonsense American readers who see writerly indulgences as silly wastes of my damn time. Its not funny, it doesn't add to the story, cut it.

[This message has been edited by Tanglier (edited February 27, 2006).]

Posts: 193 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse D
Member # 3241

- posted      Profile for Jesse D   Email Jesse D         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, the line of dialogue "Come again?" sounds unnatural. Nobody ever says that. Unless you are going to establish a quaint sort of dialogue throughout the story, I'd suggest changing it to something more natural sounding. Maybe she could laugh it off at first, or something.

Other than that small item, it sounds promising.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you've got something. The headache/Tylenol works for me. I agree with Jessica an the "one of those days" part.

The toilet eating the janitor is a good hook.

The only minor issue I have, is with the maid's finishing remark "I ran out to find someone" seems odd. It doesn't seem to instill the urgency she had earlier. Is a receptionist or 'someone' else more able to handle the situation? I would think she'd run out to get away from it, unless this sort of thing is 'commonplace.'

Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zipperhead409
Member # 3268

- posted      Profile for zipperhead409   Email zipperhead409         Edit/Delete Post 
It didn't really grab me until the last line where the janitor got eaten up for some reason.

As of right now, this isn't a story I'd keep reading but give it a small revision and I could see it with more of a future.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.