Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A Penny's Worth

Author Topic: A Penny's Worth
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the first 13 for a Fantasy story of 13,800 words. I am interested in hearing if this opening grabbed you enough to make you want to read more. I'm not really looking for readers, but if the opening is so enticing that you would like to read more, how could I refuse? Anyway, thanks for your help. Any and all comments and suggestions appreciated.

Pete Samson held his head between his hands, trying desperately to relieve the pain throbbing in tempo with his pounding heart. The pain increased in kind with each passing beat, and there seemed little he could do to stop it. Blood flowed from the deep gash in his forehead, dripping in a steady stream onto his now wrinkled black suit and blood stained shirt that was once white, spreading nice swirls and patterns onto the bus-stop bench. About to lose his job, his wife, and now slamming his SUV against a telephone pole, he was convinced he had no luck--none whatsoever.

"Hey buddy, here ya' go," a slurred voice said behind him. "You need it more'n me." Pete glanced over his shoulder, seeing two well-dressed men in dark, neatly-pressed suits. The smell of alcohol on their breath...

[Edited] I edited the first paragraph slightly before anyone commented to include the 'bus-stop bench part. If you commented on this before the change I appologize.

[This message has been edited by luapc (edited May 08, 2006).]

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
This would work better for me in reversed order. I don't like trying to see if there's some clue as to why his head hurts, getting little clues, and then finding out what he knows very well: that he was just in an accident. I want to know that he's in an accident first. The trying to figure out was an effort, and distanced me.

Now, about the hook: I'm not sure where the hook will be in this one. What's the reason I'd want to read the story? I'd say start there. Probably.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
It didn't really hook me. I think part of it has to do with the long description of how badly he's hurt with no MC thoughts until the end of the paragraph. The hook might work better for me if you weave in Pete's thoughts through the description.

Also, when you introduce the slurring voice, I fully expect the men behind him to be drunk, yet when you describe these men as well-dressed in neatly-pressed suits, I just can't reconcile the two images. I don't think you should make them look shoddy... just wanted to let you know I couldn't reconcile the two as you wrote this. Perhaps if you pointed out the contrast through Pete's thoughts, it might work better for me.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetherby the Owl
Member # 3397

- posted      Profile for Wetherby the Owl   Email Wetherby the Owl         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though your opening wasn't grabbing, I'd be willing to read on. Send me a copy, and I'll get back to you within a week or so with a critiuqe. I probably won't be overtly gentle, so if you need lots of self-esteem, I might not be the best to send a story to. But if I see things I like, I'll point them out too. I'm a pretty well-read guy, so hopefully I'll be able to help you out.

My e-mail is astein599@frontiernet.net. Just adress the story to Wetherby, and I'll get it.

Posts: 8 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

Thanks for your responses so far. As I expected, there isn't enough to grab a reader, nor is the text engaging enough to make most want to read further. I'm usually pretty good with generating a good opening paragraph with engaging description and a hook, but this one has me stumped.

The general idea of the story revolves around a guy down on his luck who gets a penny from one of these guys that turns out to be magical and grants him wishes. The two guys here don't know its magical, they were just the way I used for the penny to get into the MC's posession. The pennies double every time a wish is granted, so there is a single one at first, then two, four, eight, and so on. The story revolves around the consequences of this. This is not secret and is revealed in the first four paragraphs of the story, but its just not soon enough.

Showing all of this in the first couple of paragraphs, not to mention the first 13, is challenging. I know, you can't show everything, but what of this description of things do you think needs to be included to make this work and be engaging for the opening?

Thanks for any future advice.

And thanks Weatherby for the offer.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetherby the Owl
Member # 3397

- posted      Profile for Wetherby the Owl   Email Wetherby the Owl         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed your penny idea, and I wanted to tell you that unforfunatly, someone has already used a similar idea. In a book called "Half Magic" by Edward Eager. In that story, a magical coin grants half of any wish, so you must wish for duoble what you want to get what you need. I don't know to what extent ideas like that can be copyrighted, but I thought you might want to know. You certanly could create an interesting story from your idea without ever being influenced by "Half Magic."

And if the pennies double every day, in 64 wishes, this poor man will have more then 50,835,136,605,443 tones of copper sitting around, with a stack reaching several miles, equal to $1,844,674,407,370,955.16.

[This message has been edited by Wetherby the Owl (edited May 08, 2006).]

Posts: 8 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
The descriptions are good in the first paragraph, but they slow down the beginning too much. Maybe if you cut it down to a couple of sentences and jump straight into the dialogue. You can always explain how he got there later.

I don't have time to look the whole thing over right now, but if you want to send me the first few pages I'd be willing to look at the beginning.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
You start off okay, but then you violate your own conditions and steadily lose my interest.

We start off with Pete Samson in a world of pain. Literally, his perceptual reality is defined by pain that obscures every other sense. He's not thinking about where he is, or what's just happened, he's just trying to push back the pain.

Then, without any preamble, the pain is totally gone from the narrative, and doesn't rate any mention whatsoever. Yes, we are getting information about why he was in pain, but the pain itself has vanished utterly.

From your description of the story, I think that the pain should continue to define everything that Pete percieves until he gets rid of it by fervently wishing his head would stop hurting so badly. Or you could just drop the whole "world of pain" angle, not everyone will like it. I think it's appropriate to the POV and could work for your story, but right now it doesn't help. You drop it too soon and then start hitting us with things that don't seem very plausible.

World of pain from smashing into a telephone pole? I'll buy that. Sudden abscence of pain from character's POV? Hah, maybe if you use magic, but you don't.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't worry about _Half Magic_ (great book, btw). This story's very different already: adult character, not light and funny, doubling the pennies, pretty much everything but the "coin grants wish" thing.

You can give us the hook up front: "The day Peter found the magic penny..." and then go on to what happened in that day, before the penny.

So maybe it's true: Find a penny, pick it up, and all the day you'll have good luck!

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that the hook is a little abstract here, but I like your writing style. Your descriptions are interesting without being verbose, and you vary your sentence structure so that I don't stumble while reading. I didn't have to go back and re-read any of it to get it.

wbriggs' observation regarding order struck me as particularly insightful. I couldn't figure out why I didn't feel drawn into this hook, until I read his comment. I'd rather find out about the SUV straight off, as I first thought, "ooh, migraine, poor guy..." and then, "ah...no, ok, he was mugged..." etc.

There is no fantasy in this yet, which kept me from having a way to identify with it. That's not really a mark against it, but if I pick something up expecting fantasy and get wrecked SUV's and impending divorce, I feel a little let down. Is there a better genre description for this type of contemporary setting?

I also agree about the drunk guys. I was expecting wrinkled suits, at least, and got distracted wondering how these fellows got plastered without getting wrinkled.

I didn't feel Survivor's confusion regarding the pain. I think it's acceptable for the character to have other considerations as well, and I didn't feel like you needed to keep reminding me he was hurting. I just kind of assumed he still was.

In general, I like the way this is written. It's easy to read, so I'd probably keep reading even without a strong hook. The writing itself is the hook, for me.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Grammar nit:

"About to lose his job, his wife, and now slamming his SUV against a telephone pole, he was convinced he had no luck--none whatsoever."

To be grammatically correct, "to lose" would have to work with all three of the items that follow it, ie "About to lose his job, his wife, and his sanity." One way to correct it would be to change the tense: "He'd lost his job, his wife, and control over his SUV...."

Anyway, I'm sure other people weren't bothered by this, but I have trouble getting into the flow of the language when there's a problem with the grammar.

Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 3384

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe start the story while he's in the SUV. Either just before he crashes, or just as he gets his senses after the crash. If the crash is important that is.

The two guys with the penny didn't work for me. You said that you threw them in to give him the penny, and that's the way it came off. If someone is giving him the penny, I think there should be a reason: the guy had the penny, and knows about the hidden danger, and wants to get rid of it, or the crone who he swerved to avoid, thus hitting the telephone pole, throws it at him with a curse.

If not, why not just have him find it. He realizes that with his luck, he shouldn't pass up even one penny.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

Thanks for the comments. Many of the suggestions should prove helpful in rewriting the opening.

Thanks also to Wetherby and Dude for offering to read, but I think I'll revise it before sending it to anyone. Once I do, I'll post the rewritten opening here, and then if you still want to read it, I'll send it out.

Survivor
Member # 213

I think that a couple of drunk guys giving him the penny as sort of a cruel joke, "aw, did you smash your new car? Here's a shiny penny to make it all better", can work, but agree with the majority that right now you don't pull it off. Not that you need to do so in the first thirteen lines.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 3384

I see your point Survivor. It could work if it were a little differently written. The pressed suits on the drunk guys don't seem to fit, and their language reminds me more of a drunken, friendly bum than a couple business men after a party.

It does get me interested though. I feel bad for the guy, and want to know how he got there and what more badness might be in store.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

I think the following rewrite of the opening resolves many of the issues so far, but see what you think. As always, all comments welcomed.

Slamming his SUV into a telephone pole seemed the last of Pete Samson's worries. He should have just hit the mangy dog, he thought, but instead he'd swerved. The gash on his forehead, dripping in a steady stream onto his now wrinkled black suit and blood stained shirt that was once white, spread nice swirls and patterns onto the bus-stop bench as he watched. And the wrecked SUV wasn't the worst of it. On top of the latest bit of bad luck, he was about to lose his job and likely his wife as well.

"Hey buddy, here ya' go," a slurred voice said behind him. "You need it more'n me. Maybe it's lucky." Pete glanced over his shoulder, seeing two rough looking men with two-day stubble wearing brownish stained clothes. The...

[This message has been edited by luapc (edited May 11, 2006).]

Survivor
Member # 213

You need to start by establishing the setting. Previously, you started in the context of all-emcompassing pain, then failed to follow it up. Now you dispense with the context entirely, letting bits of the situation dribble into place, like shoving jello squares into a mold. Nothing holds together, it doesn't end up giving a firm impression. We only know what's going on because you've described the scene you're trying to craft.
MightyCow
Member # 3384

I like the new start. The jump to the bus stop bench threw me a little. I expected him to be sitting in the driver's seat, having just crashed. Lot of help I am, suggesting a change, and then not liking it :P

The swirls and patterns in the bench seems a little abrupt too. He's talking about crashing and how he's go so much else to worry about, and then he's looking at the pattern of blood. If it's imagery, I need a little more detail about it, and a little insight into why he's focusing on the pattern. Maybe he's still a little fuzzy from the impact of the crash, maybe he's just reaching his emotional limit and staring into space. Give me a hint.

The bum or the business man could have worked, depending on where he was. The bum works better as a drunk giving the penny out of pity. Are there two bums? Do you need two?

Woodie
Member # 3346

- posted      Profile for Woodie   Email Woodie         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like you're in a rush to get to the bums giving him the penney. I don't think this has to be in your hook. Seeing a down-on-his-luck rich guy in an SUV lamenting to himself about how much he's about to lose and then slamming his car into a telephone pole to miss a dog may be hook enough and not sound so rushed. Wow, nobody crit that sentence it was a doozy! My point is, start before the crash, let us get a feel for who this guy is. Don't feel like you have to push the meat of the story into the first 13.
Posts: 88 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.