Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Short Novel: Another's Eyes

Author Topic: Short Novel: Another's Eyes
Wetherby the Owl
Member # 3397

- posted      Profile for Wetherby the Owl   Email Wetherby the Owl         Edit/Delete Post 
These are the first 13 lines for a short novel in progress. I only have a chapter or two, but i wanted some reactions to the opening. It's not very clearly spelled out in 13 lines, but if I ever send you the 1st chapter or so, I think things will make more sense.
In any case:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The winds blew the last particles of dust away, across the empty plains. Here, in the space of a few moments, a city had been destroyed. A city that had encompassed half the world. All gone, through a terrible power. My power as destroyer and restorer of worlds.

I stood on the high hill, looked over the emptiness of my kingdom. All of it was gone. The sound of wheels running through the miles of streets, the sound of common, everyday people going about their daily lives. The sound of the great bells, ringing for war. The blood-colored sun beat upon my head. Another world gone, and so soon. They chose to defy me, and so choosing, they called death upon their heads.

To the bitter end, they pressed me, testing to feel the limits

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited May 10, 2006).]

Posts: 8 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grijalva
Member # 3295

- posted      Profile for Grijalva   Email Grijalva         Edit/Delete Post 
I like your story, you have good images. I felt you could lose the first paragraph, and get rid of alot of excessive words. Your need to let the reader figure out more of what's happening, through showing, than telling them over and over.

But I like the whole idea of this greater being, and how he is sort of a God.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Final
Member # 3414

- posted      Profile for Final           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked your story so far. It definitely has a start that grabs your attention. I think the one thing that kind of caught my eye was "they assumed wrongly", I think if it sounded different it might have more of a catch to it. Maybe a twist of words, like "Their assumption was wrong". Just a thought. Good start though.
Mark

Posts: 11 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm..."wrongly" does sound a little goofy to me. But "their assumption was wrong" doesn't seem to fit your mood and the parallel to the previous usage of "assumed" fails.

I think that your opening here is interesting, though you do start a little slow. The voice is a little grandiose, which leads to trouble in the last line when you can't keep it up without making me smirk.

Something to consider. Even though you use the first person, this character seems to be viewing himself from the outside, in a number of senses. Like writing about Hitler and having him think how delusional and evil he is. Now the reason I chose Hitler as an example is because he is an historical figure whose personal writings and actions have been studied in some detail. We know that he was delusional and evil. But we also know that, far from considering himself delusional and evil, he never even suspected such things of himself. He never even thought that he might seem that way to others, he honestly believed that all his enemies were consciously lying when they said things like that about him.

Or, just possibly, he was so conscious of being delusional and evil that he faked all his personal writings. Who can really say? The point is that the "historical" Hitler who didn't think he was delusional and evil seems like a real person to us. The possibility that he was secretly aware of this after all seems implausible. To some extent this narrator also seems implausible. Not to the same extent as my example, and I think that you do need to make this character more interesting than the historical Hitler, but it is a problem.

In other words, I think that we have an epiphany story here. The character is going to come to a realization that alters his understanding of what he has done completely. Now, you could start with him in the mode of "Oh my God, what have I done?" and moving to "Oh, I'm God, what do I care?" Or you could have him go in the opposite direction. You could even do something completely different that doesn't involve the moral question of destroying an entire world because it happens to displease you and you can create another if you like.

By the way, anyone watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya? Because that's a really great show.

Anyway, whichever direction the epiphany runs, you need to make it something that the character isn't even considering as a possibility at the outset of the story. Otherwise, it's hardly an "epiphany", is it? Since you've titled it Another's Eyes I'd tend to assume that the epiphany runs in the latter direction and involves interaction with another character, whether in the present or through flashback (which isn't evil, you can do it). And I'm guessing you aren't going for utter hilarity like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. But you know something? That's an insanely cool show, so going for the humor of the situation doesn't hurt.

quote:
Just because we're losing? She's so full of it.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I like what I'm seeing. I only have these suggestions.

* I don't like wondering what's up. Moving one sentence would help me:

The winds ... My power as destroyer and restorer of worlds. They chose to defy me, and so choosing, they called death upon their heads.

I stood on the high hill...

* You might omit paragraphs 2 and 4; I don't know that they add anything.

* A solution to the last line wording is "They were wrong."

* I don't know if MC is male or female; I guessed female. It might be good to know; refer to her as "their queen" or "their goddess" or something.

* It may be hard to get people connected to this character, since she seems so awful. But if she's interesting, we'll probably keep reading anyway. You might introduce a complexity into her character before long.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like some puncutation, to isolate and emphasize "My power..." in the first paragraph. It's a nice moment, when the reader suddenly gets squeezed into this first person POV. "My power..." pause for the reader to go, "Oh! ok" and then continue on. I could almost see your speaker thump himself on the chest. (Isn't that funny? I thought the speaker was masculine.) Ditto the above, for the last paragraph, where the speaker says "...a world I myself had brought to greatness." Isolate and emphasize "myself." (Another thump on the chest.)

I thought the reference to "empty plains" in the first sentence seemed out of place next to the described size of the city. Are there no outlying areas of population? No roads?

There's an awful lot of passive voice, given a character who is so strong.

I like the way the speaker seems to be gloating, and I especially like the subtle reference to "Another world gone, and so soon."

Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetherby the Owl
Member # 3397

- posted      Profile for Wetherby the Owl   Email Wetherby the Owl         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool...glad I've got so many people interested...wbriggs, I'm not sure I know what paragraphs you mean, but I can see a few sentences that could get cut. I was also a littel surprised by people's reactions to MC's gender. The MC is actually male, but I never thought of writing him as a female. That would be cool. As to the complexity of the character, we switch POV's in just a few paragraphs down the page, so you get ann entirly differnt view. tried to be creative with this story, and branch out into some areas that I ussually don't dabble much in.

Novice...The empty plains are there because the city, and all inhabiants that can be seen from this hill the MC is standing on have been obliterated. And I thought the passive vioce could be handled because of the passive manner in which he's currently thinking, remembering as opposed to planning.

But very cool that I got some reactions out of everybody, I'm very happy.

[This message has been edited by Wetherby the Owl (edited May 09, 2006).]

Posts: 8 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If the character is male, then I definitely suspect we're going in the "Oh my God, what have I done?" direction. So you do need to start from the "Oh, I'm God, what do I care?" position.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aalanya
Member # 3263

- posted      Profile for Aalanya   Email Aalanya         Edit/Delete Post 
First off, I really like the sound of your writing. It flows nicely. I enjoy the rhythm.

One potential problem:
Your story starts out very epic. The language paints a picture that is mythic in proportion, but I worry that it's about to head over the top. If you continue on with the epic description and the "destruction of worlds" for too long you might lose some people. I personally would like to see a little grounding soon after this opening. I need something I can relate to, and destroying worlds doesn't quite fit the bill. That's not to say that this isn't pretty cool, but I think you need to add in something that people can relate to.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.