Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Short story: The Day the Clouds Fell

Author Topic: Short story: The Day the Clouds Fell
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
1st draft of a short story, currently 4400 words. Can probably be cut to about 3000-3500.

Genre: not sure. It explores some philosophy of science, but I wouldn't call it science fiction.

Intent: I'd like feedback on the first 13. I'll probably look for readers after the 2nd draft.

The funny thing is that once I was constrained to 13 lines, I cut all kinds of stuff at the very beginning to make sure you got to see the hook. It wasn't pleasant, because I liked what was there, but isn't that what it means to kill the darlings?

-----

Maybe it started earlier, but I can't pinpoint anything before the clouds fell.

It didn't rain. They didn't smack into the ground like boulders or airplanes. They just fell silently from the sky, as if God Himself had dropped his cotton candy.

My mom was underneath one. She always tells the story the same way: "It felt like a rushing fog descending in judgement upon me." I guess that's not too far off.

The fog stuck around for days, sometimes collecting in pockets, sometimes dissipating. It never rained properly, either, I guess because the clouds were on the ground. And still the fog stayed, and no clouds came.

Naturally. I believed in fog.

-----

Thanks,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
In the first line, you allude to "it." You have a different "it" in the second paragraph. The third paragraph brings yet another "it", which doesn't seem to refer back to either of the previous uses. You need to name one or two or all of these things to prevent confusion. My vote would be to name the phenomenon in the first sentence, as your primary focus seems to address that particular "it." Give it a scientific name, or a common conversation name. I don't need to understand the name you use, but I need to have a way to keep things sorted in my mind. As a matter of fact, if you give "it" a unique enough name, I might keep reading just to find out what you are referring to.

I don't understand, "And still the fog stayed, and no clouds came." The fog WAS the clouds, wasn't it? (This is a very minor complaint, because I wasn't distracted enough to worry about what you meant, until I read the piece a second time.)

I like your first person POV. It's effective here, for me.

At the end of the fragment, I was still confused as to where this is going. IMHO, that's not a terrible crime, unless you fail to clear things up before my attention span expires. And my attention span is more forgiving, I think, than many readers. I rarely put anything down without finishing at least one chapter. But I prefer stories that make me keep reading because I'm interested, especially over stories that coax me to read by withholding.

This fragment comes perilously close to withholding. I want to find out what you are talking about, but I'm not really interested, yet, in the characters or plot or action. I simply want to know what your first sentence was talking about. Which means I'm nibbling at your bait, but I'm not hooked.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what's going on. You mention some big thing that happened, but then you ignore it for the clouds. To clear the confusion I had reading, you should just focus on the clouds, unless they're irrelevant. In that case, you need to focus on the "it."
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The first thirteen is generally just to establish that you know how to write and how to tell a story. Thus, when you distort your first thirteen in order to make sure that some "hook" or other that wouldn't naturally be there gets in, you often ruin your first thirteen, because you're frontloading something rather than concentrating on telling the story.

That said, this isn't terrible. The undefined "it" has already been mentioned, but that won't prevent me from reading further. The quote you assign to the mother isn't bad, but it does seem a bit of a stretch for her to always tell the story in those exact words. The "I believed in fog" thing just doesn't make any sense. But I'm willing to keep reading.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a hard time understanding your description. Have you ever BEEN in a cloud? It's not like a cloud is a solid object that can "fall" to the ground. Clouds ARE fog. Once you move into a cloud, there is no perception of being in a CLOUD as much as there is a perception of the mist gradually becoming thicker and the fog gathering around you.

So I'm having a hard time conjuring up some believability because the imagery you are trying to create doesn't jive with my real life experience. Here is where you run into the problems of witholding information from us. Obviously something about THESE clouds is significant to the story. You need to go for the specifics. Tell us in clear language what the MC is really concerned about, don't allude to it.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
After reading this opening, I'm interested in the whole story. If you're looking for readers, I'd be happy to read for you. I'd like to read the story with the original opening, though, if that's the opening you liked better.
Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
What Novice said about "it." Then we had "they"; I never did figure out what those were. Why not tell us?

About the hook: we can be hooked by good writing or character -- it needn't be plot detail, although that's fine.

One way to put that hook up front is something like:

The day the evil robot monkeys came for me, I had spinach in my teeth.

The spinach . . .

So we get through the spinach (if that's where we need to start!), but we know we're going for evil robot monkeys eventually.

I think I'd be hooked, and happy, with the intro scene, fi I knew what was going on.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it.

I don't have a single problem with it. The 'its' were easily implied or explained. The weather didn't rain, and the experience of having the clouds fall from the sky and what it felt like. No problem.

This seems to be, however, a case in which the title of the story is entwined with the story's opening. If you read the title first you know immediately what the first 'it' is. That's not a problem--just pointing it out.

This opening draws me right in. It leaves me with a few questions, but I expect you'll answer those soon enough and as the story develops. If I were an editor perusing this manuscript I'd definitely turn over the page to see what comes next and hope I'd be able to read right to the end without a hitch.

I, too, would like to read the whole thing for you when you're ready. Just send it.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the feedback, all. I've been struggling with the
opening without knowing quite why, and you've helped me
refine it.

A few comments, and then the revised version:

> The first thirteen is generally just to establish that you
> know how to write and how to tell a story. Thus, when you
> distort your first thirteen in order to make sure that
> some "hook" or other that wouldn't naturally be there gets
> in, you often ruin your first thirteen, because you're
> frontloading something rather than concentrating on
> telling the story.

But telling the story often starts with an upfront grab. As
I understood it, that was the purpose of using the _first_
thirteen, as opposed to an arbitrary set of thirteen lines.
If I'm missing the point, someone tell me.

I also think that forcing myself to get the hook into the
first 13 has really improved the beginning of the text. I
had material that I liked, but that didn't advance the
story; I like what I have now much more than what I had
before my little editing session.

> That said, this isn't terrible.

I love the sense of understatement on this list. Not just
this post, but in general.

I reworked everything today -- long airplane flight -- and
have what I consider a second draft, for anyone who's
interested in reading the whole thing. 4200 words.

Here's a revised version of the first 13:

-----

I was just shy of ten years old on the day I made the clouds
fall.

I don't mean that I made it rain. They just fell, as if I
had knocked God's own cotton candy right out of his hands.

My mom was underneath one. She always tells the story the
same way: "It felt like a rushing fog descending in
judgement upon me." I guess that's not too far off.

The fog stuck around for days. It was moist, clammy stuff,
so you were constantly walking from way-too-hot direct May
sunlight into way-too-cool white-outs. And it never rained
properly, either, I guess because the clouds were on the
ground. The fog, really. Always fog, never clouds.

Naturally. I believed in fog.

-----

Regards,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. MUCH better first sentence. Made my eyebrows twitch. I really like this revision. Now I'm hooked. (Although still mystified by the last sentence...in a good way.)
Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Interesting, that you did all that work to get the "hook" into your opening and yet left "it" undefined, when "it" turned out to be such a striking element of the story.

Oh well. I won't argue with the results. This is certainly even less terrible than the initial post. I think it moves from "willing" to read further to "interested" in reading more.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

> Interesting, that you did all that work to get
> the "hook" into your opening and yet left "it"
> undefined, when "it" turned out to be such a
> striking element of the story.

Yeah, well, I didn't say I was smart...

Novice's comment about withholding was the turning point. Before, I smacked you in the face with it about halfway down page two; now, since I'm not withholding, it's what sucks you in. Night and day, I think. Obvious, too, but sometimes you need the obvious pointed out to you.

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I really, really like this last version. Clear, gripping, and quirky. I'd definitely keep reading.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it. Just a few of my personal preferences:

I like the visual of cotton balls as opposed to cotton candy for clouds, seems a more apt description for me.

Also, I don't know anyone who doesn't believe in fog, so I'm a little put off by him having to say he does. Obviously you can't put everything into the first 13, but unless the believing in fog thing was explained later, I would be really dissapointed.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Much better than the first version. I'd definitely read on.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Likewise.

The first version was interesting, but elliptical.

This time, you let us know up front that the MC made the clouds fall - that the MC, presumably, has some sort of bizarre control over the physical universe. Not only does this make the "I believed in fog" work (fog exists because the narrator believes it makes "sense"; clouds no longer exist, because the narrator can't understand what holds clouds up - so suddenly, nothing does), but it really does make me want to know who this person is, what these powers are going to mean, and so on and so forth.

Good to know this board is doing its work

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

Thanks for the comments, all.

I now have a significantly trimmed version, 3200 words, and I'm interested in getting a few readers. I don't know what else I needs changing / fixing / smoothing etc.

(What's the protocol for this? Since I have a different intent now, should I start a new thread?)

Specifically, I'm interested in knowing
* whether the teacher talks too much, and whether he's too preachy
* whether I should cut the first experiment that proves that clouds can stay in the sky
* whether I should cut the other experiments, and
* whether there's anything else I should / could cut.

There's one other specific thing I'd like to ask, but if I shouldn't bias you by highlighting it before you read the story.

Also anything else you want to comment on: good read or not, ready for submission or not, enjoyable or not, etc., as well as typos and all that other stuff.

Thanks,
Oliver

Survivor
Member # 213

I was puzzled by your questions at first, because they don't have anything to do with what's been posted so far, but I'm guessing that you mean them as "questions for reading". Feel free to include them at the end of the document.

Anyway, I thought the current version of the opening was interesting enough to keep reading, so I'll give it a try.

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Likewise, I'll read, having just managed to catch up on critiques outstanding from more than a month ago (so don't expect me to reply instantly...).
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.