Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Fantasy Short Story

Author Topic: Fantasy Short Story
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys have inspired me. I never tried writing short stories before, but now I've got the bug. Here's one I'm working on, fantasy, approx. 2K. Mid-draft. Let me know what works and what doesn't. Would you keep reading? If not, what does it need?

The wizard Hydrargyrum poisoned the King's Silvershaper with a bit of magic sprinkled over their meal each night. The magic couldn't hurt the King, who was simple and childlike and would die of his own curdled wits before his heir turned ten. The magic couldn't hurt the wizard, though it tasted like sulfur and made him sweat sticky, sharp beads of pitch.

But the Silvershaper--the magic made the plaques on his fingertips turn sullen red with copper-fire impurities. It burned his throat and chest, and twice he vomited puddles of quicksilver onto his bed linens. He lost weight. His hair grew in dull pewter, and when he made a silver clockwork rooster for the Prince, it tarnished before finishing its first crow.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's florid, but I think it's florid in an effective way. The idea of magic being "sprinkled" on a meal is different, and I don't have a problem with the omni POV in the circumstances.

I'd read on.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I was confused by "the magic made the plaques on his fingertips turn sullen red," so I looked up "plaque" and found out that one meaning can be a patch of skin disease. That makes a lot more sense than what I was imagining when I read the phrase initially. Other readers might have a better vocabulary than I do, but another word would have worked better for me (calluses? skin?).
Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
What Tch. said.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
A short story can tolerate a character named "Hydrargyrum" but it would annoy me over the course of a novel. Your opener is unusual, and from that point it's a hook. I would approach the story with caution. It strikes me as a story that will either get really good, or sink from an overdose of clever. I would read a short story to find out. Not sure I'd buy into it as a book.

One thing that puts me off is the weird description of "made him sweat sticky, sharp beads of pitch"... I've never seen sweat that comes out in sharp beads of pitch. This sort of thing is teetering on that 'overdose of clever' I mentioned. The vomiting of quicksilver is another. I'm losing my ability to suspend disbelief. You need a quick framework built into the story to anchor me into your milieu so I can believe sweat can be sharp and people can ingest quicksilver, at least in YOUR world.

If I was perusing this story in a bookstore, I'd give the next page a glance.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good, made me want to find out why the wizard would poison the Silvershaper.

The only thing that made me stop was the use of 'their' in the first sentence. Since your talking about the Silvershaper (single) I don't think 'their'(plural)is the word you want to use. After reading it a few times I figured out you meant the wizard was sprinkling everybody's food, and only the Silvershaper was affected by it, but I had to read it a few times.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused: what or who is a Silvershaper? At first it was a plate or food because you said immediately afterwards that it wouldn't hurt the king so I asumed he was poisoning the king. Then it turns out to be a person, the king's taster? Had to think too much.
The name of the magician is dangerous, how about simplifying the spelling.
Loved the flow and the unusual opening. Would definitively be tempted to read on, but I think it needs lightening up.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Sara, for replying to an old post. I appreciate all of the comments, and I'm sorry I forgot to thank everyone who responded earlier. I hope the critiques I post on other fragments are as helpful as the critiques I've gotten when posting my writing.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
This is so much clearer than the first version. You definately have me interested!

I do want to know what the Silvershaper does and why this character is poisioning him. But I don't feel like I need to know it in the first 13. I assumed that a Silvershaper is a person who is essentially a silver smith. If that assumption is wrong, you may want to clarify what a Silvershaper is in the first 13.

I echo the comments on the "plaques." Would "plates" or "implants" work?

When you get this to a point you are looking for readers, feel free to send it my way.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.