Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » March It Is - Short Story ~3100 - PG13

Author Topic: March It Is - Short Story ~3100 - PG13
MightyCow
Member # 3384

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Rough draft title. This is a humorous piece, and I'd love to get some feedback. Since humor is so personal, I'd like to get an idea of how different people react.
-----------------------------

For three months I gave my all to the French Foreign Legion before it grew tedious and loathsome, and I knew that I had wrung from it all I could. Jean-Paul, I think, was simply horny for France. A good man, but what an appetite, eh? Now this was, let me think, probably five days - say a week - before the mess with Switzerland and the camels.

I take no responsibility for Switzerland. For my money, they can be neutral and uppity in northern Africa just as well as western Europe. In fact, they have even more to be uppity about now. They should thank me. I’m sure they’re all happy as pigs in shit.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Good hook
I wouldn't say it's humourous, more like scornful or ironic but it's too soon to tell yet and I like the voice of the character.
Because I didn't recognize the references (is this real history or something you're making up?) it felt like you were cramming it with data.
I don't understand the part of JP being horny for France, and the rethorical question after that. Still... it makes me want to keep on reading and find out why the character thinks nobody should like France that much. Is France the country? or is it the name of another character?
The second paragraph threw me off a bit. I got a bit lost bet again I would read on to find out.
I find the thirteen line limit doesn't do justice to your story. I don't think all stories should start with a bang, some just need a little space to develop, so you're probably doing just fine at this point

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
Your use of the pronoun "I," five time in the first paragraph, and twice more in the second, was too distracting to hook me in.

Humor being personal, in my opinion, I felt the narrator was sounding more conceited than funny.

Perhaps a bit more of the Swiss incident involving the camels is in order, it sounds like that could be a comedy of errors.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 3384

A large part of the first few paragraphs of this story is building the character of the narrator. I'm trying to slowly play out the story, while really digging into the voice. The narrator doesn't really tell much about himself, so my goal is to let you get to know him by his manner of speaking and his attitudes. Some people may find him hard to take.

If anyone's interested enough in reading the whole thing, let me know.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neoindra
Member # 3422

- posted      Profile for Neoindra   Email Neoindra         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is an interesting take on a story. I’d be willing to read it if you’d like.

Edit: Oh, how long is it?

[This message has been edited by Neoindra (edited June 10, 2006).]

Posts: 58 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't hate it, because you've got an interesting voice here. But it doesn't feel very connected. I'm not really sure what the story's supposed to be about since you've jumped from the FFL to Jean-Paul to Switzerland.

I'll read.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 3384

Thanks. It's sent.

Anyone else? I promise it makes a little more sense once it gets going

Rhyner
Member # 3480

- posted      Profile for Rhyner   Email Rhyner         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a stab at it if you want.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 3384

Thanks. It's sent.
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it.
Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 3384

Thanks, I just emailed you a copy.
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll critique it, if you like, as long as you're not in a hurry.

I like the voice, although I agree that you seem to be cramming in information. Maybe you expand the first paragraph, providing a little bit more detail or cutting where needed; the enigmatic reference to JP's "appetite" and how he's "horny for France" could each be explained or cut. I'm assuming he's a main character -- maybe we find out just a little bit more about the narrator or JP before you drop the bomb about Switzerland and the camels. I don't think the second paragraph provides any more of a hook than the first, so you have a little room to play with.

Or not.

Regards,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Clarity. Yes, I know it's intentional, but that doesn't make it less off-putting.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 3384

What were you unclear on, specifically?
Nietge
Member # 3474

- posted      Profile for Nietge   Email Nietge         Edit/Delete Post 
I, for one, wasn't necessarily kertwanged over the mentioning of the camels, since you straightway mention Switzerland in the next paragraph clearly, establishing that this paragraph is the first part of the camel story (I'm guessing). I'd be motivated to read further.
Posts: 103 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're claiming that the lack of clarity wasn't deliberate, then you need to rewrite this as an outline.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 3384

Survivor: There was some intentional goofing with the reader. The narrator is unreliable and a bit cracked. I'm developing character and voice. I'm glad that you find it off-putting. The narrator, as a character, is a pain in the butt.

If I've annoyed you, I feel like I've done my job.

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Just keep in mind that if you annoy the readers very much, you'll probably lose them altogether, which means that the rest of your carefully contrived story will be wasted.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 3384

True enough. I do try to keep that in mind. My goal is that the reader realize that the character may have some qualities which the reader finds annoying, but that the character and story will be interesting enough that they'll want to continue reading none the less.

If nothing else, the reader gets to see if the character gets what's coming to him.

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
It was hard for me to read. Sentence 1: if he's that much an opportunist, why join something so demanding? I'm not saying there isn't a reason, I'm saying I don't know what it could be.

Jean-Paul, horny for France: since you can't, um, "do" France, I didn't know if this meant he was metaphorically horny for the country, or literally horny for some of its residents.

I take no responsibility for Switzerland: huh?

For my money, they can be neutral and uppity in northern Africa just as well as western Europe. Huh? Was the population of Switzerland deported to Africa? What's happening?

In fact, they have even more to be uppity about now: huh? What's he talking about?

&c.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
taking_back_sci-fi
Member # 3486

- posted      Profile for taking_back_sci-fi   Email taking_back_sci-fi         Edit/Delete Post 

I'll show you mine if you show me your's....Story that is.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.