Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Independance

Author Topic: Independance
Dkoblank
Member # 3104

- posted      Profile for Dkoblank           Edit/Delete Post 

[This message has been edited by Dkoblank (edited July 28, 2009).]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne
Member # 3675

- posted      Profile for Wayne   Email Wayne         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of quibbles:
"The numbness a small relief..." I know that you mean the numbness from the cold, but on my first reading, it left me wondering if the blanket made him numb. I think I would try to work the cause of the numbness into that sentence.

I'm confused about the source of the faint blue light and why it makes him realize his brother's fire was out. Maybe it's the moonlight which wouldn't be visible if the fire were burning? You might make that more clear.

"Ethan's fire lie nearly out." I think "Ethan's fire WAS nearly out" sounds better.

"His brother had clapped upon building it" I don't know what that means. Did he applaud because he was happy with his fire? Is he a kid?

"He thought briefly on raising..." I think "He thought briefly OF raising..." sounds better.

I like the idea of "a period piece with a supernatural flavor." Sounds like a fun book to read.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand what's happening.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cll
Member # 3673

- posted      Profile for cll   Email cll         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the concept but I have to agree with everything Wayne told you. Those are the same things I stumbled over.

CLL

Posts: 92 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering why he'd rather be numb than put up with scratchy wool. Scratchy wool is an inconvenience, numb means that you're succumbing to the cold.

And that's all that's really happened in these first thirteen lines. He's cold. I don't know what the hook is supposed to be here.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.