Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » yin and yang

Author Topic: yin and yang
dreadlord
Member # 2913

- posted      Profile for dreadlord   Email dreadlord         Edit/Delete Post 
Bacchus was in the hut that He had called home for several years when the soldier came in. The man before him was most certainly a commander, it was just that air of command that the soldier obviously thought He exuded. "Bacchus, I am told that a man of your... abilities would be of use to the Fiefdom." the cold stare that Bacchus gave Him told the Commander to go on. "I have been sent by The Count to offer you a position among His troops. If you decide to accept, we shall discuss room, board, and pay." Bacchus rose from His seat and contemplated the sad specimen of a human before Him. "what if I were to refuse this? I have done several illegal acts in the past, and I would not feel very safe among men whose comrades I have killed."
Posts: 240 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Thoughts as I read:

quote:
Bacchus was in the hut that He had called home for several years when the soldier came in.
Using passive language so soon can be a turn off. Try to cut "had" out of the text as much as possible.

A lot of your "he"s and "him"s, are capitalized. If that's on purpose it's distracting. And you're not consistent.

quote:
...him was most certainly a commander, it was just that air of command that the soldier obviously...
Repetition of "command" and "was". Along with two "ly" words.

Dialogue should be in its own paragraph, along with a tag, or action, and name, of the person speaking--at least for the beginning so the reader can get a grasp on what's going on. Because I'm not exactly sure who's talking in the beginning, I have no clue who's taking later and you have all the action of the other guy in with the dialogue of another--unless, again, I'm wrong about who's talking...needless to say it's very confusing...

quote:
the cold stare that Bacchus
"the" should be capitalized. And who's staring at who here? I'm really confused.

So, focus on format and POV, I think.

Hope this helps...

[This message has been edited by pixydust (edited September 08, 2006).]

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought there was *no* POV, but looking at it again I see we're in Bacchus's. But we know so little about Bacchus I can't understand his reactions or what he might do next -- I would like to know more.

You might also check capitalization and use of paragraph format.

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited September 09, 2006).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricWiz
Member # 3801

- posted      Profile for EricWiz           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the second sentence was very confusing, which leads, I think, to the confusion of POV.

Another thought. It feels to me that Bacchus is not the type to be a regular soldier, so the count offering a position among his troops feels kind of funny. Maybe something like:
...told the commander to go on. "I've been sent by the count. He has use for someone with your talents. If you decide..."

Maybe I just don't have a good feel for MC. I can't tell if he is some big, muderous brute, or if he is a scheming, slimy rat.

I would continue to read on though.

E

Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreadlord
Member # 2913

- posted      Profile for dreadlord   Email dreadlord         Edit/Delete Post 
Bacchus is a mercenary who fought for other barons, and the Count wants to turn Bacchus to His own purposes. by the way, the Count is the main villain.
Posts: 240 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.