Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Emotional significance

Author Topic: Emotional significance
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a piece in OSC's Characters & Viewpoint. Something like:

quote:
The sun wakes me, blinding me. The note is still on the pillow. I get up (blah blah blah, details of morning rituals). The water of the shower pours over me, cleansing me; the grief remains. Stale toast and weak coffee await me in the kitchen. ...

His point: it's all surface detail. Even though we're in 3PL, we're getting almost no detail that cinematic wouldn't give; and the two things that really matter, the author won't tell us: grief about what? And what's in that *@#$!! note?

I think it's subtle, because the *author* knows what's in the note and why we should care, and thus is excited by the story -- but us poor readers don't, so we don't feel hooked.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, wbriggs, nice to meet you.

I recommend you read Please Read Here First. When you post to F&F, you should tell us the length and genre of your story, what you would like from us (critique of the first 13, critique of whole story, etc.

I will credit you with only posting the first 13, however. If you break that rule, SHE WHO MUST BE IDENTIFIED IN ALL CAPS might flog you with ancient candle wicks. If you're lucky, the candles won't still be around them.

Having said all that, here's what I think of your first 13:

quote:
There's a piece in OSC's Characters & Viewpoint. Something like:

I'm personally not a big fan of jargon, so leaving the identification of "OSC" open feels a little bit like you're withholding. I hope he/she/it is an important player in the rest of the story if you're going to put him/her/it in the first sentence like that.

The quote from OSC's book does indeed build tension, but at a cost. It's clear that the narrator is bored by the excerpt, but do you really want to bore your readers with it as well? I know, "show, don't tell" and all, but I wonder about this being on your first page.

quote:
His point: it's all surface detail.

Interesting bit of characterization here. By having the narrator identify OSC's point, you're really having him make a point himself. It's a level of indirection, which should make him/her/it feel distant -- I should feel closer to OSC, since that's the viewpoint I'm getting -- but he/she/it feels pretty close, instead. Good job, and an interesting technique. (I think you should identify the gender of the narrator somehow. Maybe that of OSC, too.)

quote:
Even though we're in 3PL,

Jargon, again, and I really don't know what you're talking about here. We're "in" 3PL: is that a spaceship? Another dimension? A state? A mental state? Give the reader something to latch on to here.

quote:
and the two things that really matter, the author won't tell us: grief about what? And what's in that *@#$!! note?

Excellent job highlighting the struggle that the narrator is having, right on the first page. My only concern at this point (other than the nits mentioned) is that you might be limiting your audience to readers who are also writers; this isn't a universal concern. If you're okay with that, though, go for it.

quote:
I think it's subtle, because the *author* knows what's in the note and why we should care, and thus is excited by the story -- but us poor readers don't, so we don't feel hooked.

Interesting, how you refer to the "author" here, subtly bringing us a hint of metafiction: I can't help but think about you as author when the narrator refers to the author in his/her/its world.

To sum up: I think you've got something here -- I'd definitely turn the page -- but you can probably tighten it up a bit. If you're looking for readers of the whole thing, ship it over to editor AT shimmerzine DOT com.

Regards,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
lol... Oliver, you clearly haven't read a lot of the archives. wbriggs is a respected member of the Hatrack community and has been here far longer than I have. He's also a recent graduate of a pretty intense class with OSC and was kind enough to share his notes daily with us while he was going through the process.

I suspect Will's only flaw here was posting this to the F&F forum when it more accurately belongs in the Open Writing forum.

But other than that, I second Will's observations. So many stories are so dry because the author is afraid to get into the juice of how the characters FEEL.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Elan, I always enjoy your critiques and comments, and I respect you very much; but I don't think you gave _this_ post a very careful reading.
Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi wbriggs. I second all of oliver's comments, with the addition of this one small nit:
quote:
Even though we're in 3PL
The text you quoted was written in first person.

Other than that, polish, submit, and hope for the best!

But seriously. I agree - surface details aren't much fun to read, especially when we are teased with things we might care about - like the note or the grief. I think OSC also says something about the kinds of details we just don't ever need to know - like when they go to the bathroom or blow their nose or scratch their elbow - unless it is of significance to the story.

I have the opposite problem in my writing. I'm all in characters' heads without showing what's going on on the outside. And somehow I still can't manage to show why the character cares. :\

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't think you gave _this_ post a very careful reading.

I would have to admit you are correct. I missed the sarcasm and took it at face value. Blame it on a bad headcold... my brain has been fuzzy for days.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
HEH HEh Heh heh eh h...
Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.