Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » SF story - in progress, no title (yet)

Author Topic: SF story - in progress, no title (yet)
starsin
Member # 4081

- posted      Profile for starsin   Email starsin         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know my word count since most of my story is on paper written pencil. I think that I've got a great beginning, I've shown it to some of my teachers back in High School still and they loved it. I would like a criticism if anybody would be willing to privide one for the whole thing that I've typed up so far.
In caution, I don't know if this is a bad thing or not, but since I'm a HUGE fan of Orson Scott Card, I decided to take a literal page out of his book and start my chapters similar to the way he did. However, I've only typed up my first chapter and a little of my second.
If anybody would be willing, I'd love you as much as my religion (Mormon, just like OSC) allows.

First 10 or so lines:

“All right ladies and gentlemen. You are all leaders in your respective fields, from hydraulics to computers to the manipulation of genes,” the project leader, James Schultz, started. “Together, we will hopefully design the perfect, final solution to the war with the Na’muh! Our success could mean hundreds of millions…no – billions of lives saved. For the only way to end this war is to win it. You all were chosen, you all volunteered willingly, and not one of you will not put the very best you have into this effort!
“We plan on creating not just the perfect weapon, but the perfect operator as well. So, people,” he continued, quieter now, “let’s put our very best into this…for we can give no less.”

This is only a "blurb" that I used to start the introduction off to give a brief idea of what the INTRO is about. The whole intro in and of itself is about what they did, how they did it, and it gives a description of my "aliens" the Na'Mah.

Posts: 117 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Starsin,

I don't have much to say about the technical aspects of your writing, but it seems to me that you're putting exposition into the mouth of a character. Everything that he says would be obvious to everyone in the room, including the speaker. That means he's only really saying it for us.

I'd either change it to true exposition, if you really have to, or I'd rewrite the introduction to be inside someone's head. She might hear some of the same things, but disagree with them. She might think that he's understating the danger if they fail. Or you might start the story in a different place, in which she's talking to her husband that night, after the project has started, and she's confessing to him that she has no idea how to accomplish her part of the task.

Just a thought, but worth what you paid for it.

I'm a little slow right now in my critiques, but if you want to send it over I'll give it a once-over.

Regards,
Oliver

[This message has been edited by oliverhouse (edited October 20, 2006).]

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Oliver. This passage feels too much like "As You Know Bob."

Based on what you've said, it sounds like this passage isn't really needed. I might suggest just starting right in with the scene.

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starsin
Member # 4081

Thank you for the advice. What it is, is I'm starting with this "quote" kind of as the equivalent of an attention grabber in a speech. My next paragraph begins with the "author" of the story introducing himself then he immediately delves into the background of the story itself - the history behind it. Then, after I get the history laid down, I start the story. The whole intro is in what I call "second-person" veiw where it's one person telling the story from his perspective. The actual story itself it in what my Senior English teacher called "Third-Person (Omnipresent)".
But yes, I'd love for somebody to give it a look over. E-mail address please?

[This message has been edited by starsin (edited October 20, 2006).]

Posts: 117 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not hooked. The problem is that you're giving us a graduation speech. People usually *avoid* graduation speeches, because they're boring. There's someone not very far from the room I'm typing in that always brings a book to read.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What it is, is I'm starting with this "quote" kind of as the equivalent of an attention grabber in a speech. My next paragraph begins with the "author" of the story introducing himself then he immediately delves into the background of the story itself - the history behind it. Then, after I get the history laid down, I start the story.

I can understand that, but this _isn't_ a speech. Watching a dynamic person deliver a speech is different from reading words on a page. The latter just won't give the same thrill.

Why not? Because when you watch a speech (and, to a lesser extent, when you hear one) you get lots of cues that aren't in the text: body language, tone, emphasis, the reactions of the audience. And remember that even then, the speaker had better be pretty durned dynamic or everyone's going to yawn anyway.

So the equivalent of an attention-grabber in a speech can't be the text of a speech; it's the _scene_ of the speech, the recounting of the way your main character(s) react to it. That's why I said that if -- if -- you need to give the speech to get all those details in, you might consider viewing the speech through someone else's eyes. Give their reactions to it, their observations of the audience, their judgements about its content or the character of the speaker.

[I'm thinking now of a scene I've written in my Arthurian novel that seems flat; I think it's because I'm focusing too much on Mordred's words and not on how people respond to them. Thanks for making me think about it!]

But, as I said, you may not need to dump all this information at once anyway. Too much background and history can be problematic, slowing down your story's intro. People tend to like this type of story when it begins with some sort of action, an event rather than backstory. Fill in the details as it becomes necessary to know them.

quote:
The whole intro is in what I call "second-person" veiw where it's one person telling the story from his perspective. The actual story itself it in what my Senior English teacher called "Third-Person (Omnipresent)".

"Second person" means something else: the "you" form. This is in the second person:

quote:
When you walk down the stairs, it seems like it should be familiar: crumbling red brick, windows with wrought-iron bars, a rusting handrail bolted into the wall. But it's not. There's a presence here that you've never felt before, a brooding spirit haunting the shadows, waiting for you to reach the door at the bottom of the stairs. You gingerly extend your fingers, and as they touch the door handle

Few people actually write in the second person. It tends to be a literary sort of thing.

One person telling the story would be first person: "When I was a Lieutenant in the Grokkian army, we..."

Hopefully your teacher said you were writing in the 3rd person omniscient. Most commercial fiction is written in third person limited, which is, I think, a good choice for a beginner.

Get _Characters and Viewpoint_ by Orson Scott Card. It helps with everything I've discussed so far, and especially the differences between the different points of view -- their uses, their dangers, etc.

Regards,
Oliver

[This message has been edited by oliverhouse (edited October 21, 2006).]

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm starting with this "quote" kind of as the equivalent of an attention grabber in a speech. My next paragraph begins with the "author" of the story introducing himself then he immediately delves into the background of the story itself - the history behind it. Then, after I get the history laid down, I start the story.
This just reaffirms my suggestion that you skip the speech. Also skip the history lesson. Start with the part I bolded. That's the part a reader is interested in. 'Background' means "happened before the start of the story" not "told to the reader before starting the story." Work background into the story as you tell it.

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starsin
Member # 4081

So, what all of you are saying is that I should just skip my little quote and move right into the story. Instead of starting with the quote, come in and introduce my narrator, tell an abbreviated version of the history of the story, then get the story going right after that? Or should I just bypass introducing the narrator and move into the story.

Just out of question...Oliverhouse - did you get the e-mail I'd sent with the story attached? If so, did you think that I've given too much information in the introduction and should cut it down and present the "skim" (like "skim milk") version?

oliverhouse
Member # 3432

Starsim, I got your Word doc after I made my last post. It's a cool idea and appears to be well thought-out, but I wouldn't use it as my opener.

If you want to start with your first-person character, you can put every bit of data into his discussion instead of the speech. (You practically did anyway, which makes the speech redundant.) Now it's all filtered through his eyes, which means we're seeing something about his character -- you get the benefit of _both_ getting the data _and_ getting to know the character. I think you can definitely kill the speech.

That said, I think you overdid the infodump in the first-person character's discussion, too. I'm hearing about stuff that happened once upon a time instead of something that the main character can do something about.

Normally, I'd say that you want to get into someone's head as quickly as possible and show us what his problem is, why it's a problem, and what he's doing about it. In this case, your first-person narrator's _not_ doing anything about it, since he's telling a history himself.

Then, when you move to an audio recording (which will have to be done really well to work, I think), I'm not sure how you want to tackle it -- I'm afraid that if I give too much advice, it might be wrong for your story. The first-person MC is the only character we care about so far, but we don't know what role he has in the audio recordings, so the whole setup is very distant. Do you plan on using audio recordings throughout? What other perspectives will you use? Will you augment the recordings with the thoughts of characters, or with an omniscient narrator?

What you're trying to do looks very tricky to me. I re-recommend that you read _Characters & Viewpoint_ -- not to discourage you from trying what you're trying, but to make sure that you understand the issues involved and can compensate for them if you continue down this path.

One last thought: don't think of it as a "skim" of the history. Think of every word that the reader has to get through in order for your story to start is a number in a combination for a safe that holds the story. The more numbers, the more they have to turn, the more they have to think and remember sequences, the more likely it is that they'll turn to another story that's just sitting on a shelf next to them, opened to the first page. You can include every element of detail you have so far -- but do it elsewhere. By analogy, think of putting the history of the Terminators into what's-his-name's mouth after he has already saved Sarah Connor twice. The backstory may be important, but it doesn't need to be first.

Best of luck,
Oliver

[This message has been edited by oliverhouse (edited October 21, 2006).]

starsin
Member # 4081

The audio recordings and little "snippets" of information I plan to have at the start of most of the chapters because they'll contain information that will be pertinent to the plot. For the start of my second chapter (which I haven't typed yet) I have another recording of the Doctor where he says that the main character (which isn't the narrator from the intro, it's "Nine") is fiercly loyal to his friends. The Psi Corps (short for "Psionic") sent four of its created people to retreive "Nine" and they use this loyality to lure him into a trap where they take him (a part yet to be written, but is written stone in my head.

Pretty much, the whole story is planned on being from the omniscient viewpoint, compiled from all of those "documents" that the narrator from the intro put together. Thinking on it, I think that I could get rid of that entire part there at the end about the box of files and just end with something like "And so, for the Real version of History" or something. Basically, the story in and of itself is events that have already happened, just told from a veiwpoint where you don't know what the specifics will be, you just know the generalities - the war is won by Man, but we don't know how; "Nine" was somehow involoved as well as the rest, but again, we don't know how...and so on.

And go ahead, give as much advice as you'd like. This is all helping me get this shaped up and prepared for when I finally get around to continuing my writing. I'm trying to make what I've got already good, then move on the the next bit of writing and make that good, and just do this step by step.

I'm also helping myself a little bit by writing a short story for a contest here where I live where the setting is the same as this story I'm writing here, just AFTER the war when the UCE is embroiled in a civil war.

But I'll definitely go work on this some tonight after I'm done refereeing my soccer games.

Thanks all!

starsin

starsin
Member # 4081

I don't know if this is allowed: posting more of the story in another post, but for all of you who haven't read what Oliverhouse has, here's a little bit more:

[deleted]

And if it's not allowed, feel free to delete this post Ms. Administrator-Whose-Name-I-Seem-To-Have-Forgotten.

Thanks all again for all the tips and help.

[This message has been edited by starsin (edited October 21, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited October 21, 2006).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
If there's a very good reason for posting more (say, you've rewritten what you first posted and there's room for more in the 13 lines), then I wouldn't delete it, but you didn't give a good reason, so I have to delete it.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starsin
Member # 4081

Ok...that's fine. I haven't made a re-write yet, but if you want to get techincal, that is a bit of a re-write because I'd be removing what I'd originally placed as my starter and just not using it at all. But it's all good. I had a feeling that this would happen, and I'll guarentee it won't happen (by me) again. Thanks!

starsin

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
When you come up with a new starting 13 lines, you are welcome to post them in this topic.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starsin
Member # 4081

Permission to post what I have after the first thirteen lines? I've considered (due to advice given in this forum) removing them. Agreed, they do seem to have little relevance on the story as a whole. Actually, looking at it just now, I've considered removing the first 14 lines (Times New Roman font, size 12, Word document)...<that is about 15 lines, give or take here on this forum>. I'd like to post what I'd consider starting with instead of that speech doo-hickey that I was trying to do. Perhaps introduce those original lines later in the story. Who knows...I'll sleep on it tonight.

Thanks again all!

starsin

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

You have permission to post the first 13 lines of your current version of your manuscript.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.