Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » First 13 Lines & A Call for Readers - 5000 words

Author Topic: First 13 Lines & A Call for Readers - 5000 words
priscillabgoo
Member # 4777

- posted      Profile for priscillabgoo   Email priscillabgoo         Edit/Delete Post 
New thread started. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by priscillabgoo (edited February 08, 2007).]

Posts: 63 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is a really stupid thing, but does she have to be named "Catherine"? I couldn't help hearing a "Stardate" between "Catherine's Blog" and the date.

Anyway, I'm going to be slow on actual critiques (vs. these knee-jerk one-offs I do here), but if you want to send it to me, please feel free. Do you have a timeframe for submission?

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure you could cut paragraph 1 to good effect. I *suspect* you can cut paragraph 2 as well. I think you're all framing device here, and I'm not finding a hook in the frame.

I forget. What's your story about? Start there, maybe.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
"Catherine's Blog"

I think that's not a bad thing at all. It would be sorta...subliminal for most readers.

On the other hand, I second wbriggs suggestion that you don't need the first paragraph at all and the second is kinda heavy handed. I do think that this is getting closer to something I would like to read. Keep us posted.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of a paranormal research society dating back to the 1800's. But that's the only hook and nothing else grabs me. I think you've probably got a good story, I'd read the next few paragraphs, so maybe you should start there. If you're story is 5,000 words, you need to get to the point quicker.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.