Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » 12 Lines (no seriously, it is) SF

Author Topic: 12 Lines (no seriously, it is) SF
Draven
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I guess 13 lines doesn't really mean thirteen lines. Whatever. Nuts to this place.

[This message has been edited by Draven (edited February 07, 2007).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
>beyond the wake of the churning sea.
??

>Impenetrable mountains
I don't get this either

"Yet the ship’s life-scanners could detect nothing of any animals, birds, or even the smallest insects." -> "There was no animal life." That is, it doesn't seem surprising to me that there are no animals -- I don't have enough context. (In this future, is it common to find planets with life? Is it rare to find it w/o animals?) It can't seem surprising to the POV character at this point, since there isn't one.

"Registered nothing of conscious intelligence either": how can oceans register conscious intelligence? What does this mean -- a handwavium-based intelligence detector? I'm skeptical.

I don't find a hook in this section. What's the cool thing that you're story's about? Start there, maybe.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
And this is why we ask people to read the "Please Read Here First" topics to find out what we mean by 13 lines.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 

That was great!

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Drive-by postings!
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the "no seriously, it is" when it clearly isn't if you read the instructions.

It's amusing that we can even still have this conversation. Consider what "I guess 13 lines doesn't really mean thirteen lines" implies: everyone is using the same browser, with no overrides of font settings, perfectly filling the screen (i.e., fully maximized), etc. That's the only way that this arbitrary-width screen could be consistently "13 lines".

> Whatever.

Precisely.

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.