Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Misbegotten Spirits

Author Topic: Misbegotten Spirits
Hylas
Member # 3613

- posted      Profile for Hylas   Email Hylas         Edit/Delete Post 
“Raphael, Raphael, Raphael,” he said. “Why did you ever pick that name? The poetic contradiction is so cliché. Or is it wistful thinking? You think that just because they can’t see you, that makes you an angel?”
“What, and the name you chose isn’t?”
“That, my friend, would depend on whether you mean Judas Iscariot or Judas Maccabeus.”
“Well, you don’t know if my namesake is the seraph, the artist, or the giant bipedal turtle.”
“Touché,” said Judas, and he looked over Raphael’s shoulder to see the picture he was drawing.
“This fetish you have with the Children is bordering on blasphemy, you know,” said Judas as he flipped idly through

[This message has been edited by Hylas (edited February 11, 2007).]

Posts: 23 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not going to be very interested in dialogue without context. Also, if there is any conflict here (other than that normal to repartee), I'm missing it. The only thing that stands out is "just because they can't see you".

Give us POV, setting and conflict.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slartibartfast
Member # 4673

- posted      Profile for Slartibartfast   Email Slartibartfast         Edit/Delete Post 
For example:
There is no way of telling the inflection on the three Raphaels until much later. It requires more than two readings to get it right.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
As pointed out, dialog heavy and narritive light. I'm not sure who the viewpoint character is, nor the protagonist, or even if the conversation is antagonistic or just friendly teasing.
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you simply started the story in the wrong place. Perhaps this should happen in chapter two, or even several paragraphs down. I see your hook, two angels talking, but I think it gets lost in everything else.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
POV...
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amciel
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for Amciel   Email Amciel         Edit/Delete Post 
To help with the inflections on the three Raphaels and introduce a POV you might break them up and add some setting intro inbetween.

Ex: "Raphael," Judas flipped through the [sketch book?] "Raphael, Raphael."

Interesting stoy concept--more show rather than tell.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the saying is "wishful thinking" not "wistful thinking." At least I tripped on wistful.

Of course it's entirely possible *I've* had it wrong all these years. Thinking of all the ways schoolkids mispronounce the Pledge of Allegiance...

Karen

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.