Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Misfortune's Child; Fantasy; 9200words so far

Author Topic: Misfortune's Child; Fantasy; 9200words so far
Kakichi
Member # 5814

- posted      Profile for Kakichi   Email Kakichi         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are the first 13 of my fantasy story of the above title.
REVISION ALERT: A few posts down I have posted the revision of my first thirteen, and have taken the advice of the many and snipped the "had".
-------------------------------------------------------------
“Master, my feet hurt.”
“Hush, Boy,” Master replied with obvious annoyance. “You’ll interrupt my thinking.”
So I kept walking, my child’s feet feeling so sore that I thought they would fall off at any time now. This was how our whole journey had been. We had left the city of Inuvik near the coast of Pararan quite near ten days ago, I think. Or had it been longer? My feet told me it was at least a month, maybe more. Master and I walked and walked, and when the sun had finally retired behind the hills to the west, we stayed in a field, a hollow of rock or in a tall tree with wide branches stretching outwards. Master was quiet most of the time and was usually three or four paces ahead of me, my short legs simply

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited July 24, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by Kakichi (edited July 26, 2007).]

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
This is not half bad - in fact IMHO this is very good. Ok, not much in the way of hook, and yet the way you have set it up and written it so smoothly has me hooked for sure. I am intrigued by the setting and situation and very curious to see where this goes. This opening has a "reader friendly" feel to it. Now to the nits:

"Master replied with obvious annoyance." You might consider deleting this. Don't underestimate the reader - we know the master is annoyed when he says "Hush boy, you'll interrupt my thinking."

"...feet feeling so sore" Delete feeling, it's extraneous.
"...so sore that i thought they would..." delete "that"-not needed
"...fall off at any time now." delete "now." You've written this beginning in past tense and "now" seems to be a violation of that.
"...with his longer strides." Consider changing this to "...with his stride." since we know he is an adult and naturally his stride will be longer.
"We had left the city of Ivinuk..." Delete "had.""...three or four paces ahead of me,( consider putting a period here - making a long sentence into two shorter ones.) my short legs..."

Good job in general - I would love to read more of this.

[This message has been edited by nitewriter (edited July 24, 2007).]

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snorri Sturluson
Member # 5807

- posted      Profile for Snorri Sturluson   Email Snorri Sturluson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully I am not the only one to have immediately thought of the character "Master" from the Doctor Who series.

That aside, this is a nice bit of writing but if I were reading this in a bookstore, I am not sure I would turn the page. It is lacking a punch to hook me. If, however, it was in the middle of a story, I would not need such a hook.

Basically, there are two people walking (one is apparently a child-slave). While the child doesn't appear to have been a slave long (talking out of turn, complaining about walking), it still isn't very exciting. Perhaps if you gave a bit of information that added context to the situation? Did Master purchase (or simply demand) the boy in Inuvik? If so, what was the boy before? Was he the son of the warrior Hector, taken as the spoils of war to work in the house of Agamemnon? Was he a street urchin, to whom Master simply gave the command to follow? Did the boy even exist before he was willed into existence to serve?

Additionally, is there anything particular important about the fact that they are traveling? That is, if you started the story when they arrived at their destination, would you loose anything that would be missed?

A bit of a nitpick...

quote:
... my child’s feet...

I understand that you mean the narrator is a child with child-like feet, but the way it is phrased is a bit odd. This specific phrase raises the expectation that the narrator has a child. A hyphen might serve you better than an 's. "My child-feet" seems much clearer than "my child's feet."

~Joel

Posts: 49 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi and welcome to Hatrack.

Here's a few nits.

quote:
“Master, my feet hurt.”
“Hush, Boy,” Master replied [delete this; his words show us he's annoyed]with obvious annoyance. “You’ll interrupt my thinking.”
So I kept walking, my child’s feet[This sounds like the narrator has a child and thier feet were sore.] feeling so sore that I thought they would fall off at any time [suggest delete now]. This was how our whole journey had been. We had left the city of Inuvik near the coast of Pararan quite near ten days ago, I think. Or had it been longer? My feet told me it was at least a month, maybe more. Master and I walked and walked, and when the sun had finally retired behind the hills to the west, we stayed in a field, a hollow of rock or in a tall tree with wide branches stretching outwards.[I assume you mean many nights but to me it reads as only one. Suggest something like: when the sun retired behind the hills to the west each night] Master was quiet most of the time and was usually three or four paces ahead of me, my short legs simply not willing to move fast enough to keep up with his longer strides.

This is a nice piece that could be even better if you removed some of those -ings.

If you're looking for readers, I'll look over a few pages.

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited July 24, 2007).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
You've already gotten some good advice. You have a sympathetic character -- I take him to be an apprentice rather than a slave. You've been told what to cut. If you follow those suggestions, you have something like this:

“Master, my feet hurt.”
“Hush, Boy,” Master replied, “You’ll interrupt my thinking.”
So I kept walking, my feet so sore that I thought they would fall off. This was how our whole journey had been. We left the city of Inuvik near the coast of Pararan ten days ago, I think. Or had it been longer? My feet told me it was at least a month. Master and I walked and walked, and when the sun finally retired behind the hills, we stayed in a field, a hollow of rock or in a tall tree with wide branches stretching outwards. Master was quiet most of the time and was usually three or four paces ahead of me, my short legs simply not willing to move fast enough to keep up with his longer strides.

Now, picture this as vividly as you can. How does the Master know Boy is still behind him if he doesn't look back? A child cannot keep up with an adult unless the adult matches his pace to the child's.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kakichi
Member # 5814

Thank you so far for your help, it's always nice to get several fresh perspectives of my first 13 so far. When I first came here and realized that it was only the first 13 to be posted I was a little worried as I have slowly but surely revealed more about their relationship in the coming pages. This start was meant to give exactly what I seem to have done, some simpathy for this child and his MAster that seems to be leading him into a very unknown place. I'll sned my full story as far as I've written to those that have requested so perhaps the whole thing can provide some insight to the "vagueness" of these first 13.

Thanks again!

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
Kakichi, welcome to Hatrack.

I'm not hooked by a conflict, but I am hooked enough to turn the page. The hook here is good writing and a sympathetic character. However, I'd be looking for a stronger hook pretty soon after this opening.

If you ask in the general area, someone may be able to suggest other place where you can post entire stories, if that is your wish. However, you may find you can learn a lot about writing just from the F&F here. I have, anyway.

Now, on the to the nits. Keep in mind that nits are just gut-level reactions and thoughts as I read through. Nothing is law here. (Forgive me if I repeat what others have said, I try not to read comments until after I comment so you get an untained reaction.)

quote:
“Master, my feet hurt.”

Personally, I would have liked an "I said" tag here, just because its the opening line. It's nice to know who is speaking when we don't have a previous reference.

quote:
“Hush, Boy,” Master replied with obvious annoyance. “You’ll interrupt my thinking.”

Obvious annoyance here feels like repetition. It is obvious.
quote:

So I kept walking, my child’s feet feeling so sore that |that could be dropped| I thought they would fall off at any time now.|"at any time now" is extraneous to me| This was how our whole journey had been. We had left the quite near ten days ago, I think. Or had it been longer? My feet told me it was at least a month, maybe more.

"Child's feet" - Since this is first person, does the lead character think of his or her feet as "child's feet" not just "feet". I agree you need to establish the age category, but there might be a better way than this. It stood out to me, anyway.

I'm not sure we need quite so much geogrphic detail from a child. For now, this early, I'd be happy with just "Inuvik" instead of "city of Inuvik near the coast of Pararan".

quote:

Master and I walked and walked, and when the sun had |Don't think you need HAD here since you don't continue the tense later in the sentence| finally retired behind the hills to the west, we stayed in a field, }I think an OR here would help|a hollow of rock or in a tall tree with wide branches stretching outwards. Master was quiet most of the time and was usually three or four paces ahead of me, my short legs simply

Not sure where this final sentence is heading, but I think you could drop either short or simply, depending on how things look.

[This message has been edited by lehollis (edited July 24, 2007).]

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Kakichi.

That's a good start on a sympathetic character. These first 13 leave me with some questions that the story should answer, and I'd turn the page to read the answers.

It's tough to put the boy's name in when he's narrating in first person, but that shouldn't be kept a mystery for long.

What's the Master a master of?

What difference in the world are these characters seeking?

I'll offer to read, if it's not too late, and I'll be looking for those answers to keep me in the story.
Now one for you to consider -
Your length is still considered a short story by some markets, but it's nearing the Novelette level. Do you have a market in mind and does this size fit?

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kakichi
Member # 5814

--------------------------
Here is my newly revised first-13 with your suggestions. I can only imagine how much the rest of my story will be better with all of you reading through them.

“Master, my feet hurt.” I said.
“Hush, Boy,” Master replied. “You’ll interrupt my thinking.”
So I kept walking, my feet so sore I thought they would fall off. This was how our whole journey had been. We had left the city of Inuvik quite near ten days ago, I think. Or had it been longer? My feet told me it was at least a month, maybe more. Master and I walked and walked, and when the sun finally retired behind the hills to the west, we stayed in a field, a hollow of rock or in a tall tree with wide branches stretching outwards. Master was quiet most of the time and was usually three or four paces ahead of me. My short legs were simply not willing to move fast enough to keep up with his stride.

[This message has been edited by Kakichi (edited July 24, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by Kakichi (edited July 24, 2007).]

Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Much better.

Omit the first "so" in the sentence that begins "So...so..."

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kakichi
Member # 5814

Done.
lehollis
Member # 2883

Kakichi, as a bit of advice, you might want to edit the original post (first one in this thread) and let newcomers to the thread know there is a revision further down they should read instead. (Best to leave the original as-is, so they can see the evolution though, maybe even learn a bit from it.)

I might read, but I have trouble committing to pieces over 5,000 words usually. (Or in keeping the commitments, I should say.)

Do you want readers on the 9,200 you have now, or on the finished product? How long do you think the finished product will be?

If you want to send me what you have done now, I'll read. I'm not sure I could read more than that, to be honest. (Time constraints.)

And great job on the revision, by the way. From here, I'd be looking for a stronger hook--a decision to do something, an interesting question, conflict--but I have enough here to trust it will come.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
This is real nice - one suggestion.

"We had left the city of Inuvik..." Delete "had" here as the word really is extra baggage. When all the fat is trimmed out of a story, you will be surprised at how the prose will sparkle from that alone.

Again this is a nice beginning. Not much hook, but written well enough with an interesting enough opening that it invites me to read further. Let me also add that if I had tossed aside every story in which the first 13 lines did not have me salivating over a hook - I would have missed out on many a great story, in fact some that are my favorites.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

quote:
Again this is a nice beginning. Not much hook, but written well enough with an interesting enough opening that it invites me to read further. Let me also add that if I had tossed aside every story in which the first 13 lines did not have me salivating over a hook - I would have missed out on many a great story, in fact some that are my favorites.

I agree wholeheartedly, Nitewriter. A hook is just, "Would you turn the page?" to me. There's little hooks and enormous hooks, but they're all hooks.

(And I still agree about the snipping of that "had".)

Snorri Sturluson
Member # 5807

- posted      Profile for Snorri Sturluson   Email Snorri Sturluson         Edit/Delete Post 
A very nice revision. Very good chance that I’d turn the page if I were in a bookstore. As a bit of a nitpick, on a second reading, the following line stuck out for me:

quote:
Master and I walked and walked, and when the sun finally retired behind the hills to the west, we stayed in a field, a hollow of rock or in a tall tree with wide branches stretching outwards.

At first it seems like you were referring specifically to the day of narration, which made the sentence unusual since people usually don’t sleep in 3 different places at night. I understood it, however, to mean that "whenever" (as opposed to "when") the sun retired, they would then find a place to sleep. Not something that necessarily needs to be changed, but might be worth considering.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Kakichi, please do not start topics in order to post more than the first 13 lines of your story. I deleted the one you started because our rules only allow the first 13 lines to be posted, though you may post 13-line rewrites of those same first 13 lines.

I'm sorry, but if you want people to read the rest of your story, you need to ask them to volunteer to have you email it to them.

This is to protect your electronic publication rights, and it is Hatrack River Writers Workshop policy.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kakichi
Member # 5814

Well my new post was for a new story, albeit a continuation, but still a seperate story. But ok...
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
She's got a point. You had mentioned using this as a single piece not as three pieces.
Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant John
Member # 5993

- posted      Profile for Grant John   Email Grant John         Edit/Delete Post 
You caught my attention, I would be happy to have a look if you want to e-mail it to me,

Grant

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.