Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Jun

Author Topic: The Jun
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post 
This is in the same world as my earlier attempt (with Mao Tzu) but the story I am using to enter the world is completely different. I think it's come together sufficiently that I'm going to try to write it and send it in for WOTF (in other words, it must be done by late afternoon Saturday - yikes!).

Mao almost became ill when he saw Pei. She came into the room with the others, head freshly shaven, orange robes still bearing the original creases. Enthusiastic to be a new jun, to start on her adult life. Enthusiastic like the dozens of jun he’d mentored over the years, the millions of first-year female jun in New Beijing this year alone.

Mao looked away from Pei and gripped the lectern to stop the shaking of his hands. The project. Concentrate on the project.

“This curriculum will teach prepubescent children before the hormonal treatments and will inform their next 120 productive years. You are here because of your attention to detail, the quality of your reasoning, and your ability to persuade." And for the female jun, the project will conveniently end just

[This message has been edited by meg.stout (edited September 28, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 28, 2007).]

Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeIsDeads
Member # 6330

- posted      Profile for HeIsDeads   Email HeIsDeads         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm intrigued!
I doubt I'll have enough time to read through it enough to provide any insightful criticism, since your deadline is so close... I'll gladly give it a read, though if you'll send it.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I should have time to read through and critique it for you tonight - send it along!
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Rigbt off, I see some problems:

My take:

quote:

Mao almost became ill when he saw Pei. She[Who? Mao? Pei?] came into the room with the others, head freshly shaven, orange robes still bearing the original creases. [Enthusiastic to be a new jun, to start on her adult life.<--[This sentence is incomplete. It feels like it stopped before it got where it was going.] Enthusiastic like the dozens of jun he’d mentored over the years, the millions of first-year female jun in New Beijing this year alone.<--[This has the same problem for me.]

Mao looked away from Pei and gripped the lectern to stop the shaking of his hands.[Why are his hands shaking?] The project.[What project?] Concentrate on the project[What else is he concentrating on?].

“This curriculum will teach prepubescent children before the hormonal treatments and will inform their next 120 productive years.[Huh?] You are here because of your attention to detail, the quality of your reasoning, and your ability to persuade." And for the female jun, the project will conveniently end just before they enter maternity seclusion[,] in ten months. She will go away.

There's a couple of confusing things:

1) Mao obviously knows his problem with Pei. Why don't I? This feels like intentional withholding.

2) The first paragraph is severely muddled. I don't know who she or he is until the second paragraph, so the PoV seems to muddle.

3) In the first sentence of the third paragraph, what does "This curriculum ...will inform their 120 productive years." mean?

4) What genre is this?

5) What time period/era?

Hope this helps

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited September 28, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Meg, I, too, can read it tonight. If you want, send it along!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

Hi guys - I'll probably not have it finished until right before I have to go mail the thing, but I'll happily send it along.

Hey IB - thanks for the crit!

Here are the first thirteen after a tad of revision - sorry about the partial sentences. It's currently a part of my style, and I haven't decided I hate it enough to eradicate it. Oh, and the names have changed.

Yang almost became ill when he saw the young woman, the resemblance to his dead wife was so strong. She came into the room with the others, head freshly shaven, orange robes still bearing the original creases. Meilin her nametag said. Enthusiastic to be a new jun, to start on her adult life. Enthusiastic like the dozens of jun he’d mentored over the years, the millions of first-year female jun in New Beijing in the year 5198.

Yang looked away from Meilin and gripped the lectern to stop the shaking of his hands. The project. Concentrate on the project.

“This new curriculum will teach prepubescent children in the new century for many decades to come. One hundred million

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 29, 2007).]

Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd read more. But (ducks the shoes, coffe cup, and ashtrays that are going to fly) you still have two incomplete sentences back-to-back.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

Well, it's in the mail -

My husband critiqued it for me. I quickly addressed his concerns, then we mailed it just 4 minutes before the post office closed.

It was fun that my husband said it was the piece he has most enjoyed of the things I have written.

If anyone wants to read it even though it got mailed, let me know. Assuming it doesn't place in this quarter's contest, I'm open to revising it. I may expand this into a novel - certaniyl I'd be interested in doing a novel in this universe.

Ciao!

BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this new thirteen much better. I'll still read it.
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.