Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » WIP - The Fire in her Eyes

Author Topic: WIP - The Fire in her Eyes
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm nowhere near being done with this, but I'm curious what you all think of the beginning.
It's contemporary fantasy.

The only thing in the attic was a painting covered in canvas. Roger was relieved – he wouldn’t have to move a bunch of junk before he could paint the room. Even better, the attic was free from the old-man smell that pervaded the rest of the house.
Roger’s footprints made deep dents in the dust. He set his buckets of paints and his brushes down to pull up a corner of the canvas. The painting displayed a girl in early twentieth-century clothes. She was beautiful. Chestnut brown hair fell across her shoulders, and her slender figure bulged in all the right places. The painter was good—he had captured a gentle expression and vivid blue eyes. Roger leaned closer. It was almost as if her eyes were alive and flickering with blue fire.
Roger didn’t even have time to scream. The canvas fell back

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a great start, very visual, and I want to know what happens next. Just one thing: for me "bulge" and "beautiful" don't go together.

Hope this helps,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mfreivald
Member # 3413

- posted      Profile for mfreivald   Email mfreivald         Edit/Delete Post 
Pictures coming alive are pretty common these days, but I personally don't tire of them. Still, if there is something in particular that makes this one unique, I'd get it up front ASAP. I'd definitely read on to find out what's happening.
Posts: 394 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Plume
Member # 7278

- posted      Profile for Plume           Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. The old man smell made me smile. I want to find out what is next.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The only thing in the attic was a painting covered in canvas. (1)Roger was relieved – he wouldn’t have to move a bunch of junk before he could paint the room. (2)Even better, the attic was free from the old-man smell that pervaded the rest of the house.
Roger’s footprints made deep dents (WC)in the dust. He set his buckets of paints and his brushes (3)down to pull up a corner of the canvas. The painting displayed a girl in early twentieth-century clothes.(4) She was beautiful. (5)Chestnut brown hair fell across her shoulders, and her slender figure bulged (curved?)in all the right places. The painter was good(rephrase)—he had captured a gentle expression and vivid blue eyes. Roger leaned closer. It was almost as if her eyes were alive and flickering with blue fire.
Roger didn’t even have time to scream. (6)The canvas fell back

I think is really good. This is how I think it could be better:

(1) I hate "was" at the beginning of a story. What you've done is forgone the opportunity to immediately bring me into Roger's head in favor of telling what's in the attic. I suggest showing me that image through Roger's eyes, which means I want to see Roger before I see the painting.

(2) Major empathy issue here. Painting an attic? Aren't attics usually the space between the top floor and the roof? Pretty much every attic I've been in has had nails from shingles sticking through the ceiling. Why attempt to paint?

(3) Another empathy issue. He carried multiple buckets of paint, and paintbrushes at the same time?

(4) Two issues here. "The painting displayed" The painting didn't display. The painting was. Probably not that big of a deal, but it threw me off. Also, "early twentieth-century clothes." I'm a firm believer in everything coming from your characters POV, therefore, I don't buy this phrase. Saying "early twentieth-century clothes" is you telling the reader. What I want to read is what Roger sees - a description of the clothes.

(5) "Beautiful" is relative. It gives no strong image. Since you go on to describe her beauty, I don't think you need this sentence at all.

(6) Scream about what? The flaming blue eyes? I'm confused, although I guess that might be the fault of the 13 line rule.

And of course, this is all IMHO.

Except rooting everything in POV. In the modern publishing world, there are very few who can get away with not doing that.

[This message has been edited by TheOnceandFutureMe (edited November 30, 2007).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
The writing is solid. I could like it a lot but I had a plausability problem.

Somehow Roger had paint and the necessary supplies ready for the room but had never been there before. Anyone who's painted a room knows you measure it first, to make sure you buy enough paint. It's a real PITA (Pain in the A) when you don't. That threw me out of the story.

I'd follow it better if Roger was sans painting supplies and just scoping out the attic for possible renovation/refurb. Also, if he bought or inherited the house, wouldn't he have done a walk-thru already?

It might be better if the painting was stuck behind something and he didn't see it the first time.

The other NIT - if Roger didn't have time to scream - don't tell me about it if I'm in his POV. It's like saying, Roger didn't see the punch that laid him out. If Roger didn't see it, than in his POV, I won't either. We'll just feel the effects.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Talespinner: good point. I'll changed it to 'curved' in the next draft.

TOFM: Really? I've seen some nicer attics in older houses on the East Coast. That's what I'm going by. Good point about the first sentence; I'll change that. Thanks for the other feedback too; it's much appreciated.

kingsfalcon: d'oh! Obviously, I've never painted a room before. Thanks for pointing that out. Also, Roger is the POV in the beginning of the story, but he's not the main character.

This story is still in progress; most of it's a disaster actually, but I'll update again when it's done.

Again, thank you all!

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.