Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Azaz and the Deluge

Author Topic: Azaz and the Deluge
psnede
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Hello -
Just looking for feedback on the first 13. Still have a ways to go on finishing this up. As always, I welcome all criticism and comments. The title is just a place holder for now.

A steady wind had nearly erased the bare footprints that embossed a path along the sandy plains of Cain. At the end of this path, the steps became more defined, and stopped at a large acacia tree. Resting upon its crooked trunk was Azaz, content in all his vanity, that the land was nearly conquered. He glanced over at Mirah, who attempted to pick a purple flower that grew amongst the milk thistle. Her efforts were hindered by the violent thorns that obtruded from the plant’s stem. She cursed and furiously sucked on her injured finger as her eyes watered.
“Stupid humans,” Azaz muttered to himself as he stood. His broad, ten-foot frame cast a shadow that would rival that of any of the other Nephilim. “Quit your whining. Let’s go.”

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm... your writing is a bit round-a-bout and indirect for my taste. Consequently, it felt like it took a while for you to get to your point. It seems like you spend several sentences describing the footprints, when as a reader, I don't care so much about them--I'd rather know more about Azaz.

A fe nitpicky things:

"bare footprints" --I'm not sure what you mean by this. How can footprints be bare? Bare of what? Or do you mean foot prints vs. shoe prints?

Also, "embossed" usually refers to something that's raised up, not indented, like footprints would be. Though I suppose a nephilim might make raised footprints, who knows.

The sentence: "Her efforts were hindered by the violent thorns that obtruded from the plant's stem" sounded a bit too writerly. Why not just tell us she pricked herself?

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psnede
unregistered

good catch on the emboss. i don't think too many creatures have footprints that stick up. i'll fix it.

the bare footprints were as you suspected. footprints instead of shoeprints. Perhaps there is a better way to write that is not confusing/distracting.

[This message has been edited by psnede (edited December 12, 2007).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't get past the Nephilim being a meesley 10 feet. I have always pictured "we were as grasshoppers" to be literal. They we huge.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited December 12, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psnede
unregistered

very nice IB - I think 10 feet is pretty accurate (perhaps I can add a couple feet for good measure). I think Goliath was *only* 9+ feet.

Shoot, if I had to battle an army of 10 foot giants with nothing more than swords and slingshots, I'd feel like a grasshopper!

BTW, how do I add bold/italics and how do I put a quote or history in with a reply to a post?

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Look to the side of your reply box, under the words your reply is a clickable "*UBB Code is On"--there you shall find what you seek.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigdawgpoet
Member # 7046

- posted      Profile for bigdawgpoet   Email bigdawgpoet         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, psnede.

The hook is questionable. Nevertheless, I'd like to read on. Send me whatever you have whenever you feel up to it. :-)

Look forward to reading.

~Ben (bigdawgpoet)

Posts: 65 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.