Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Beyond the Conscious Breath (science fiction)

Author Topic: Beyond the Conscious Breath (science fiction)
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
Checking in at just over 6K words, the most recent draft is complete, give or take the fact that I'm still playing around too much with the ending. For now, I'm curious to know if my first 13 lines make you want to turn the page. If anybody wants to read more, let me know, and I'll accommodate you at a later time.

Incidentally...humans do not make an appearance in this story. In fact, their only mention was written out last night.

Enjoy, and thanx in advance!

S!
S!...C!

----------

Disjointed wavelengths flattened and disappeared. Confusing equations erased themselves. The enemy's metallic face assumed the vacated sight and spit into the dim waters. Bloppta-glokk's hind legs would not obey its fright. Liquid flames roared out and enveloped its torso from behind. Its muted blue scales bubbled from the heat.

Searing pain evicted Bloppta-glokk from unconsciousness.

Bloppta-glokk lay still, afraid to move until it was sure that only cool water occupied its sleep chamber. It cautiously lifted its long neck upwards and into the congestion of leftover bubbles from its scream. This was the second consecutive night the same nightmare of fire and pain invaded its unconscious mind.

----------------

[This message has been edited by Crank (edited December 13, 2007).]

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
Crank:

This is pretty interesting... but I have some issues/concerns:

(Disjointed wavelengths flattened and disappeared. Confusing equations erased themselves.) You lost me already. I don't have enough context for these words to fit together. You are already in 3rd person omnip. or 3rd person limited, so it might be more effective to lead with something like , "The dream swirled around its sleeping mind..." The enemy's metallic face assumed the vacated lost me again. not sure what this means sight and spit into the dim waters. Bloppta-glokk's Have to say, this is a hard MC name to expect to see repeated a hundred times in a 6K piece. I stumbled over it both times I read it in the piece. I would recommend you choose one or the other. My off the cuff preference is... "Glokk." hind legs would not obey its fright. Liquid flames roared out and enveloped its torso from behind. Having a point of view issue here. Why from behind? I realize it's a dream, but it will be more "nightmarish" if I have some build-up to the "jumped from behind." Its muted blue sales bubbled from the heat.

Searing pain evicted Bloppta-glokk from unconsciousness I didn't get the fact that he was waking up. With the "evicted ... from unconsiousness," I expected to see him still on the battlefield. If he's waking up, then use that somehow...

Bloppta-glokk lay still, afraid to move until it was sure that only cool water occupied its sleep chamber. It cautiously lifted its long neck upwards and into the congestion of leftover bubbles from its scream. This was the second consecutive night the same nightmare of fire and pain invaded its unconscious mind. This paragraph is better written. It functions as an OK hook, but needs some better set up in the two paragraphs above to make the transition work effectively...

Hope these comments help,

T2

[This message has been edited by Igwiz (edited December 13, 2007).]

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
A wavelength is a distance (a 6-meter radio wave, e.g.). Waveforms are the shapes you're thinking about.

Its muted blue sales->scales?

Sentences like the following illustrate that calling the creature "it" instead of "him" or "her" will make many sentences awkward: "Bloppta-glokk's hind legs would not obey its fright." By proximity, the "it" refers to the hind legs. It becomes overloaded in usage when it applies to creatures and objects. If your creature is genderless, consider calling it a generic "him" unless the genderlessness is important in the story.

"Spit into the dim waters" is explained later, but the reader trips over this, wondering if it is a nearby pond or something.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,

I think you are doing something similar that I got heat for with a story I've been working on (you might find some of the comments useful).

That is, that the writing is very descriptive, but some of is is so unnatural they begin to fall apart.

I like the idea that he is in a water chamber, but it doesn't allude to that in the beginning which makes all of the fire-water descriptions difficult to understand. When the enemy spits in the water I thought he 'spit in the water', it is only later that I assume he was doing something different.

What happens then is I read the thing then I say "Oh, he's in a water chamber" then I re-read the beginning and try to make sense of it. That is tiring for a reader.

I don't know about starting with a dream, it seems sort-of cliche. If you decide to continue with the dream sequence I think you should expand it into a few paragraphs of detail. Maybe make it italic so people know it is separated from the story?

Aside from that you might want to get in early that the creature is water based. Him swimming, moving around in water, blowing bubbles, whatever, just get that notion out before the reader becomes too confused.

I think you have some good ideas in here. I like the concept of a water-based lifeform. The genderless descriptions will become an issue, hey you could always go spivak on th reader.

[This message has been edited by halogen (edited December 15, 2007).]

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

Thank you to those who have offered their crits. I've waited until now to address them because I've found that taking some time off from the story between the finished product and the review phase enables me to see the crits from a completely different perspective.

The opening description of equations and waveforms takes on its true meaning later in the story. As it happens in real dreams and visions, some images will make absolutely no sense, and it is this uncertainty and disorientation that I am attempting to convey through what Bloppta-glokk sees. However, not everyone will want to read that far into the story to figure it out, so I am making this passage a bit less intentionally incoherent.

The condition of asexual gender is a pain to convey, and the only third person singular neuter pronoun readily available is 'it'. In many of the story's later passages, I replace this demeaning pronoun with the actual name as often as makes sense. And, no...taking the easy way out and making Bloppta-glokk's species dual gender like every other species with which I've populated my Universe never once crossed my mind.

Again, thanx for the crits.

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure I like the name Bloppta-glokk. My mind wants to rhyme it with 'dropped a clock'. Glokk also makes me think of a glock hand gun. Getting alien names to sound right is difficult, and while others may think it is a great alien name--I don't. I may do a post about this. It is an interesting topic.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
<aside> what's with the "S! S!...C!"?</aside>

I had to read this a couple of times to try to figure out what was going on. The sentence structure and word choice is a little odd, and a bit rough to begin a story with. On the other hand, I like that it might reflect Bloppa-glokk's unique consciousness.

However... when all is said and done all of this just seems like a smokescreen for the old wake-up-from-a-dream sequence.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

quote:
Glokk also makes me think of a glock hand gun.

My music / percussion background keeps reminding me of the glockenspiel.

And, yes...creating alien names that work properly can be frustrating. On the one hand, I don't wish to spend more time with creating names than I do with creating scenes, yet I also don't wish to underestimate the weight many readers place on names. When I read, I don't tend to get bogged down on some of the more bizarre alien names I've run across, mainly because I tend to translate the sequence of letters into an image that I then mentally associate with that character's subsequent traits and actions. Now, whether that practice is a product of being right-brain dominant (as much as an ambidextrous person can be), or being dyslexic, or having some other brain-based malfunction I didn't even know I have, I'm not entirely sure, but it has led me to create alien names that make 'Bloppta-glokk' sound more simplistic than 'Bob'...the vast majority of which have mercifully been changed.

quote:
<aside> what's with the "S! S!...C!"?</aside>

I usually only abbreviate my signature of...

Success!
Steve!...aka Crank!

...on forums where the participants know me in the physical world.

Again, thanx to add for the additional thoughts.

bigdawgpoet
Member # 7046

- posted      Profile for bigdawgpoet   Email bigdawgpoet         Edit/Delete Post 
If this is ready for readers, by all means, send it along!
Posts: 65 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.