Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A story fragment for your thoughts

Author Topic: A story fragment for your thoughts
Tina Hoffman
Member # 7323

- posted      Profile for Tina Hoffman   Email Tina Hoffman         Edit/Delete Post 
The crowd jostled against one another like crackers in a vacuum-packed box. "Five minutes, and William Wallace will take the stage, we've won by a landslide!" came a booming voice over the loudspeaker. It had been an arduous campaign, a grass roots write-in candidacy the likes of which had never been seen in all of America's history, a miracle! The people began to take their seats in the hall, the sound of excited and hopeful chatter dimmed as did the lights, all but for one spotlight, focused on the podium on the flag-bedecked stage. Stage right, behind a red velvet curtain, Samantha chewed a fingernail, took a deep breath and walked hesitantly on to the stage, wondering what she was going to say.

How could she tell the people that the candidate they'd elected to office was actually her dog, Willie?

Posts: 22 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Cute. Amusing. Seems like a clever story. The opening paragraph felt a little removed to me, but it works since we focus in on Samantha pretty quickly.

I was, however, rather put off by the opening simile. It just didn't work for me. Crackers in a vacuum-packed bag won't jostle, so was the point of the comparison that the people in the crowd were padked together they _couldn't_ move? Don't know, for an opening line I thought it necessitated far too much thought.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tina Hoffman
Member # 7323

- posted      Profile for Tina Hoffman   Email Tina Hoffman         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to make you think that hard! How about this for an opening simile:

"The crowd jostled one another like fans at a rock concert."

??

This is just a little bit of the story, the reader's digest 13 fragment glimpse, if you will. Glad you at least found it cute and amusing.

Thanks for the read and comments! All comments are always considered and appreciated.

Best,
Tina

Posts: 22 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
It works better in that it conjures a ready, vivid image. However, it's pretty cliche and makes the whole opening fall flat. I think that's the danger with starting off with a simle--you have to find one that's fresh and interesting, and yet not confusing or contradictory, imo.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, that last line would definitely have me reading on

Minor nits mostly, the "we've won by a landslide" rang a little false to me, I got the impression that the crowd was already celebrating and waiting the appearance of their champion and so would already know this.

And flag-bedecked stage. Stage right, behind a red velvet curtain, Samantha chewed a fingernail, took a deep breath and walked hesitantly on to the stage - too many "stages" for me.

And I agree with Annepin about the simile at the opening, I even think that you might start with Samantha nervously walking onto the stage without really losing anything from the story.

Looks good, good luck with it!

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LCastle
Member # 7363

- posted      Profile for LCastle   Email LCastle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say you could condense all but the last sentence of the first paragraph into a single sentence, or a couple of short ones. Probably drop the simile all together.

I tripped on the name William Wallace, which conjured up images of Scottish patriots, and (unfortunately for your story) Mel Gibson.

But an interesting opening, nonetheless, and I'd read on.

Posts: 100 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
You could push the story forward by having a newsperson interview Samantha, which I take to be the campaign manager/owner. It could happen during the crowd gathering you've already established, but reveal a bit more. For example:

"You've won, so why hide your candidate's true identity now? Who is 'Happy' really? Is your candidate ready to fill the former mayor's shoes?"

"Two pairs, actually...."

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supraturtle
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for supraturtle   Email supraturtle         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like 'like' in most descriptions.

It ain't 'like' crackers. It IS crackers. How is it crackers? well...

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.