Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Bump in the Night, WIP, First 13 Only

Author Topic: Bump in the Night, WIP, First 13 Only
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all:

Just started this one off. Thought I would get some feedback on the hook.

Thanks in advance,

T2

The repetitive echoes of the drip… drip… drip… sound pulled Chusunc from his early evening sleep. When his conscious mind realized what he was hearing, his body tensed for battle. No one in his clan would be careless enough to permit a leak. There was no surplus of liquid in their desert caves, so what little could be found got hoarded away for the later, even drier season. Chusunc allowed his outer two eyes to blink, but kept a constant vigil for danger with his middle tilak eye. The dark red-black images it returned showed no intruder.
Assured there was no immediate danger, he released his taloned grip on the cave roof and plunged towards the floor. He saw that others, alerted by the same sound, were doing the same. Just before he struck, he shoved his arms away from his body.

[This message has been edited by Igwiz (edited December 31, 2007).]

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There was no surplus of liquid in their dessert caves,

No liquid, eh? So these dessert caves don't have any extra fudge?

Seriously, I thought this was a solid 13. There was enough of a hook to keep me reading, and I liked the foreign feel of it. Good job.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited December 30, 2007).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Annepin, nice alien atmosphere and an interesting hook that would keep me reading.

Some nits:

I think you mean desert caves, not dessert caves--unless they really do have caves reserved for eating dessert.

"When his conscious mind realized ..." seems to me a little clumsy. I wondered, how could he realize something without a conscious mind?

Finally, we're in Chusunc's mind, so would he think of releasing "his taloned grip" or just "his grip"? I'm not sure it matters, just a thought.

Again, great start,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny! I had just banged it out and decided to post it, so I didn't even realize that I'd written "dessert" instead of "desert."

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supraturtle
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for supraturtle   Email supraturtle         Edit/Delete Post 
Spontinuity is the spice of life!
I'll read what you've dumped out fer sher!

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.