Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Fire Team

Author Topic: Fire Team
supraturtle
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for supraturtle   Email supraturtle         Edit/Delete Post 
I don’t know how long I've sat there, perched like a gargoyle on the thin rail of the hotel balcony. The unfamiliar city has become sleepier as I watch. Laughter from couples returning from adventure and stumbling in embrace to the hiss of the doors five floors below is less frequent it seems. Cold and impersonal, relays click and the lights dim on the nearby office buildings—empty parking lots became dark voids without ceremony. I watch as the world goes on late shift.
I feared heights once, but I know now such is a trivial thing; a personal phobia.
There are far greater things to fear out there. Loneliness seemed my demon of choice tonight. Even that is inconsequential as I look beyond.

Ok, I've just spent the weekend with Kuttner and Howard. This idea is bred of classic high fantasy. I have challenged myself with an alternating POV. I'm gonna try to work it. Rough draft, basically a concept.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
For me -- personal opinion -- this starts out okay but takes too long to go somewhere.

My thought is that if you want to keep on with the defining the character and moment you need more interesting/telling details to carry it off. Otherwise, get the storyline started after one or two of the more interesting details.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, but the verb tenses just seem... off to me. I'm not an expert grammatician and I'm half asleep, so I can't point to exactly what it is.

I agree with arriki; give us a few interesting character tidbits. Otherwise, I really like your description and it is enough to make me want to read on.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston1022
Member # 7694

- posted      Profile for Preston1022   Email Preston1022         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it, i'm trying to see where its going but i still like it.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, I did think this intriguing. At the same time, it feels pretty familiar, akin to Spiderman or Batman waiting for some crime to bust. Maybe there's something you can add to make it distinctly different?

Your verb tenses are a little off. Here's the rest of the nitpicky:

I don’t know how long I've sat "I sat" would work better, I think, or "I've been sitting here." Presumably he's still there, right? there, perched like a gargoyle on the thin rail of the hotel balcony. The unfamiliar city has become sleepier as I watch Hrm... present tense is tricky. I think "becomes sleepier as I watch" or "has become sleepier as I've watched". Laughter from couples returning from adventure and stumbling in embrace to the hiss of the doors five floors below is less frequent it seems Less frequent than what? I thought it's an unfamiliar city. Also, this image is a little cliche.. Cold and impersonal, relays click and the lights dim on the nearby office buildings—empty parking lots became dark voids without ceremony. I watch as the world goes on late shift.
I feared heights once, but I know now such is a trivial thing; a personal phobia I didn't think this really added anything. What else but a personal phobia would a fear of heights be?.
There are far greater things to fear out there. Loneliness seemed my demon of choice tonight. Even that is inconsequential as I look beyond.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited January 11, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.