Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » No Risk Involved

Author Topic: No Risk Involved
Toby Western
Member # 7841

- posted      Profile for Toby Western   Email Toby Western         Edit/Delete Post 
More flash. About 800 words of light sci-fi / humor, this time. Hoping for feedback on the opening and / or a quick crit of the whole piece.

quote:

The Oreja de Dios facility didn't get many visitors. Sitting at the top of a thirty mile long dirt track, high in the Ecuadorian Andes, its rows of cheap parabolic radio receivers and the utilitarian corrugated iron shack that served as a control center weren't of much interest to anybody.

The last eight people to visit had been German tourists, looking for the Cotopaxi National Park. The two before that had been Karl Plombmann and Danny Southers: astrophysicists on secondment from Edinburgh university. The desolate expanse of lichen-covered rocks and the freezing blast of evening air that greeted them as they climbed out of their battered jeep were almost enough to make them turn right back around again. Had they done so, humankind's first message from the stars might

[This message has been edited by Toby Western (edited April 06, 2008).]

Posts: 171 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody very soon is going to break onto the publishing scene. I wish it were me, but It will be You.

This is really well written. The style here somewhat reminds me of Pohl or Crichton. I like it. I will read, it will probably be late tomorrow though on the turn.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this is a really strong opening. I'll have a read for you if you like
Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Very atmospheric, nicely written, except I got confused about which "they" climbed out of their jeep--the eight German tourists or the two astrophysicists. I don't know where this is going but if all these people are material to the story I'd suggest mentioning them as and when they arrive.

Aside from that, great start--I'll read if you'd like.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stagecoach
Member # 7875

- posted      Profile for Stagecoach   Email Stagecoach         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'll be the contrarian here. I can't say that I was really hooked into the story. It's very well written, but I just didn't get drawn in.

Some small points: I've never heard it called "corrugated iron." I've heard it called corrugated tin. I had to look up "secondment;" I think the average reader wouldn't know the word, either.

I'd be willing to read it, if you like.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Oreja de Dios RADIO ASTRONOMY facility didn't get many visitors. Sitting at the top of a thirty mile long dirt track, high in the Ecuadorian Andes, its rows of cheap parabolic radio receivers and the utilitarian corrugated iron shack that served as a control center weren't of much interest to anybody. MY THOUGHT AT THIS POINT: *WHY* WEREN'T THEY OF INTEREST? THERE ARE PLENTY THAT ARE FASCINATED WITH ASTRONOMY; WHY DID THIS CHANGE?

The last eight people to visit had been German tourists, looking for the Cotopaxi National Park. The two before that had been Karl Plombmann and Danny Southers: astrophysicists on secondment from Edinburgh university. The desolate expanse of lichen-covered rocks and the freezing blast of evening air that greeted them as they climbed out of their battered jeep were almost enough to make them turn right back around again. BUT...THEY'D COME ALL THAT WAY, AND THEY WERE ASTROPHYSICISTS. WOULD A DESOLATE AND COLD SITE REALLY MAKE THEM ALMOST *LEAVE*? HARD TO BELIEVE! Had they done so, humankind's first message from the stars might

Despite my kibitzes, I agree with the others -- I want to know what happened. (And I'll read.)

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure I,m as high on this as some others but at 800 wds I'll read.(and crit of course)
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toby Western
Member # 7841

- posted      Profile for Toby Western   Email Toby Western         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all for the comments and critiques.

So many crits on so short a piece is almost an embarrassment of riches. I'll take a rain-check on your kind offer, Cheyne, 'til I come up with something that grabs you better.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
I meant no insult. Not as high did not mean I didn't like it. Only that some of the earlier praise was, to me, over the top.
That said it is probably not a good idea to limit the critiques of your work to people who are unlikely to criticize.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not hooked. I've got a description of some facility.

I've said this before, but I think it's very important. Bring me into the scene. Right now you're just describing something. Get me inside a character's head. If right after this opening you dive into the scene with interesting characters and a strong POV, I might keep reading.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toby Western
Member # 7841

quote:

I meant no insult.

And absolutely none taken, Cheyne! I do sincerely appreciate you offering your valuable time to help me write better. I just ended up with far more offers to crit than I expected for so trivial a piece.

quote:

That said it is probably not a good idea to limit the critiques of your work to people who are unlikely to criticize.

I entirely agree. I was simply looking to limit the number of crits. As you didn't sound too interested in the piece, it seemed like a good place to stop. I in no way meant to be offensive or dismissive. Please forgive me if I seemed so.

quote:

I'm not hooked. I've got a description of some facility.

I've said this before, but I think it's very important. Bring me into the scene. Right now you're just describing something. Get me inside a character's head. If right after this opening you dive into the scene with interesting characters and a strong POV, I might keep reading.

I'm going to keep chipping away until I come up with something that you like, OnceAndFutureMe! It might help that the next lines bring in a grumbling Glaswegian, but probably not enough

So, time to move on...

TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 

Yes, we have very different writing styles, but I have read pieces like what you are going for that I have very much enjoyed. If this grumbling Glaswegian has lines of dialog, then I'm sure that it would help.

We could give it another try....send it my way, if you like.

[Edited due to unintentional sarcasm]

[This message has been edited by TheOnceandFutureMe (edited April 11, 2008).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toby Western
Member # 7841

I need to close the book on this one and press on with other projects.

I should have something more substantial done in the next week or so that will benefit from all the crit I can scrounge up for it, though.

With grateful thanks,

- Toby.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.