Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Frog

Author Topic: The Frog
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
From the author who brought you such exciting titles as The Cellist, and The Innocent comes a new story, The Frog. (Yeah, yeah, I know. My titles suck.)

This one's been composting in my story file for the last who-knows-when. Then I remembered Heinlein's rules of writing--finish what you write, or what not, so I figured, okay, it's done, I should solicit comments.

So. It's sci fi, about 2200 words. Comments on first 13 and offers to read gratefully accepted.

The Frog
Ginny pushed her toe in the dust. "Do you think it's still alive?"

Simon looked at the ragged, plastic box he’d set on the ground. "The Professor should be able to fix him up."

Ginny wished her brother would let her look in the box again, to stare at the little frog they had caught, but Simon had said the shock might kill it. Then Simon said they'd better take it to the Professor as soon as possible. Even though, Ginny wanted to point out, she was the one who had caught it.

Such a rare thing, to find the little frog. There had been a patch of mud in the old stream since they'd had a little more rain than usual. They'd gone out there to look for frogs for

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited April 23, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ginny wished her brother would let her look in the box again, to stare at the little frog they had caught, but Simon had said the shock might kill it. Then Simon said they'd better take it to the Professor as soon as possible.

The 2 Simons feel a little repetitive to me, I'd make the second one a "he."

quote:
There had been a patch of mud in the old stream since they'd had a little more rain than usual.

I'm not sure about this. It seems off to me, for some reason. I may just be tired though...maybe a comma after the stream?

I'll read the whole thing if you like.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Frog
Ginny pushed her toe in the dust. "Do you think it's still alive?"

Simon looked at the ragged[Perhaps a better adjective, There is nothing wrong with ragged except it makes me think fabric. I associate battered or something hard sounding with plastic], plastic box he’d set on the ground. "The Professor should be able to fix him up."

Ginny wished her brother would let her look in the box again, to stare at the little frog they had caught, but Simon had said the shock might kill it. Then Simon said they'd better take it to the Professor as soon as possible. Even though, Ginny wanted to point out, she was the one who had caught it.

Such a rare thing, to find the little frog. There had been a patch of mud in the old stream since they'd had a little more rain than usual. They'd gone out there to look for frogs for

I would have prefered to see most of this in dialogue.
"I found it. I want to look at it."
It starts with dialogue, then it is on to Simon Said.
Yet it all seems it should be spoken.

I am not picking up on genre or speculative elements. As it reads it seems it could be anything from a childrens novel, to a horror.

I will look this over if you want.

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited April 24, 2008).]

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
"I am not picking up on genre or speculative elements." I agree with this - it is a bit nebulous - other than "...the shock might kill it." Perhaps this should be played up a little more?

"Ginny wished ber brother would let her look in the box again, to stare at the little frog they had caught." This sentence can be streamlined. "Ginny wished (instead of wishing, why not let her go ahead and ask?) her brother would let her look at the frog in the box again." or something like that. "...they had caught." Not needed and redundant - since if it is in a box we know it has been caught.

I also agree with the comment on "ragged." Maybe scuffed or something similar.

I also agree this opening might be stronger with more dialogue to carry the intro forward.

"Ginny wanted to point out..." Well why not let her point it out? I think this would be stronger if she did.

[This message has been edited by nitewriter (edited April 24, 2008).]

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toby Western
Member # 7841

- posted      Profile for Toby Western   Email Toby Western         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice.

I'll read--and crit.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have a read if you like
Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulUK
Member # 7906

- posted      Profile for PaulUK   Email PaulUK         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi annepin

Your first 13 'hooked' me

I'm happy to offer a crit of the whole thing, if you want.

Regards,

Paul

Posts: 55 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmccoy
Member # 7930

- posted      Profile for mrmccoy           Edit/Delete Post 
Hooked my interest, well done.

quote:
Even though, Ginny wanted to point out, she was the one who had caught it.

Its not clear what action "Even though" is referring to. Is Ginny slightly put out that she can't look in the box again or does she want to be the one taking it to the professor?

Its a good emotional hook; a mix of excitement and frustration that would benefit from clarifying the activity that arouses it.

[This message has been edited by mrmccoy (edited April 24, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by mrmccoy (edited April 24, 2008).]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Thanks for the offers, guys! It's on my home computer, so I'll send it out later today.

Monstewer, i was wondering if you'd pop in!

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
Send it my way please. I owe you one.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

quote:
Send it my way please. I owe you one.

Do you? That's sweet of you. I will send it your way, but you should never feel obligated to read my stuff.

Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
You did read one of mine and truthfully I want to read your story. Obligation made it sound so... obligatory. I meant only for you to send it on.

edited to fix typo

[This message has been edited by Cheyne (edited April 25, 2008).]

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a sweet, haunting start, seems kinda sad. Since it's rare to find a frog and the old stream seems to have dried up, I'm assuming we're going to see a dystopian future. I like the voice, somehow wistful. I'd certainly read on.

Some nits:

Did Ginny push her toe at the dust, or the plastic box lying in the dust where Simon had put it? (I guess it's important to establish dust and dryness, but for me the image, and the idea that she might wonder if the dust was alive, was momentarily wrong.)

In para 3, the two mentions of "Simon" are too close together for my taste; the second could be a "he" methinks. I like Ginny being anxious to point out she'd found it--establishes her youth.

Would it be better to write, "Such a rare thing to find, the little frog"? Kids can find anything, and by moving the comma, maybe it's more clear that it's the frog that's rare, not the finding.

"There had been a patch of mud in the old stream ..." puzzled me until I figured out the old stream had probably dried up--how would you see mud in a stream, I wondered. Perhaps something like, "A patch of mud had appeared in the old dried-up stream-bed, since they'd had a little more rain than usual"? (But less clunky.)

I'll happily read it, but feedback will be delayed several days due to other commitments.

Hope this helps,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.