Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Shadow (working title)

Author Topic: Shadow (working title)
JamieKrueger
Member # 7959

- posted      Profile for JamieKrueger   Email JamieKrueger         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for reading this...I appreciate all comments and look forward to reading all of your works!
The full version has 1,065 words.
I know it may seem kind of choppy...but it's a little girl telling the story.

My parents never knew about her.
She lived in my room, in my closet, behind the pile of stuffed animals that I had collected since I was tiny. She was tiny too. She wore an old dress and no shoes. She had dark hair and light eyes. I found her on my ninth birthday.
I called her Shadow. It was the same name as a cat I once had.
The cat had been sleeping on my Dad’s car's warm engine. No one knew until my Dad started the car to go to work. Then the little black cat became even smaller pieces of red and mushy bits all over the inside of the hood. I was standing on the brick driveway when it happened. A bit of fur hit my face and stuck there. My Daddy screamed. He was crying. I didn’t see what all the fuss was about. It was just a darn cat.

[This message has been edited by JamieKrueger (edited May 04, 2008).]

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks pretty good. If anything, I'd say the narrator sounds relatively adult.

I think I'd drop the "warm" before "engine".

Also, I'd suggested scrolling it down a bit and putting a warning at the top that there is...unpleasant content.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I was pulled into this until the line about the cat becoming smaller bits. It seemed the prose unraveled at that point.

I'd keep it at one line and get back to the story at hand.

We get a preview of the speculative right away.
The voice was working
then the backstory about the cat.
It isn't a story about the cat.

Like this:
"I named her after a cat I once had. Poor thing got killed under my dads car. But shadow is special. She gets me."

Not that the details are correct, but it is an example of the voice and pace I could imagine working.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
"My parents never knew about her." Why not introduce her immediately? - "My parents never knew about Shadow, a little girl who lived in my closet."

The problem I had with this was the abrupt shift in focus. I'm interested in this girl in a closet and then you suddenly go off about the cat. This almost looks like you have the opening to two completely different stories.

"Then the little black cat became even smaller pieces of red..." This is passive, and does not create as much interest as it could. Get the senses involved - hearing the wail of the cat as it is being chewed up for instance.

I'm curious as to how a bit of fur hit the boy in the face. I'm assuming the hood was down, in which case this would be impossible. If it was up, then how did the cat get splattered all over the inside of the hood?

[This message has been edited by nitewriter (edited May 04, 2008).]

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulUK
Member # 7906

- posted      Profile for PaulUK   Email PaulUK         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jamie,

I agree with the comments posted above me, regarding the shift in focus from the mysterious girl, to the deceased feline. However, that said, my interest was definately piqued, and I'd read on; I liked the style and language of the opening few lines. If you want someone to review the whole thing, I'd be happy to.

Cheers,

Paul

Posts: 55 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.