Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Lunatics Night (SF - 3500 words)

Author Topic: Lunatics Night (SF - 3500 words)
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Latest Revision
quote:

"If you don't want me to cut the door down, how do you expect me to get in? It's not like the access codes are going to work after sitting in the dust for fifty years." I said over the video link.

"Lance, that's not my problem, I'm not approving your request until you provide me with some real alternatives." William said.

William was Director of the Lunar Historical Society but in my mind he's the first human-flatworm hybrid. Three years ago he came in undetected through a Terran job transfer program. In that larval stage he sank deep into the government bureaucracy living off bits of undigested power.

Revision 2

quote:
From the crater's edge the ghost town was a clump of dull metallic eggs in a steeped nest of gray sand and rock.

The rover extended six small thrusters and calibrated them at a slight upwards angle. It emitted a small warning message then a sudden rush of gravity pushed me back against my seat. While ascending the rover rotated the thrusters forward, a motion that propelled us out from the lip of the crater and down into the basin in a single powerful leap. We landed with a jarring crash that kicked a tail of dust in the air and would have sent me sprawling had I not been connected to a safety harness. The rover pivoted on its wheels and sped towards the ghost town.

Revision 1

quote:
From the crater's edge the ghost town was a clump of dull metallic eggs in a steeped nest of gray sand and rock.

Six small thrusters extended from the sides of the rover and rotated skyward. A sudden rush of gravity pushed me back as we rocketed into the sky. The rover stopped accelerating at a hundred meters and began a controlled descent into the crater. We hit the ground with a jarring crash that sent a pile of dust and rocks into the air. There was a pause as it calibrated, pivoted and sped towards the ghost town.

Fifty years of dust piled against the decaying steel domes like polluted snow drifts back on earth.

This is for the Return to Luna Challenge. I thought I would post here before posting to the group.

Thoughts on the first 13? Initially this was around 5500 words and I began hacking away at unimportant bits. I don't know. This is more of a meandering "Day in the life of" sort of story. I'm not sure if it works or not.

[This message has been edited by halogen (edited May 26, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by halogen (edited May 26, 2008).]

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
MMMMM Tasty prose. I like it. Me want more

Seriously. Nice work. Having understanding of the criteria of the contest, I think this is the start of something good. See it in full form in the Luna group?

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlakeR
Member # 7963

- posted      Profile for BlakeR   Email BlakeR         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely an interesting beginning to a story about Luna. The only real complaint I have is that the sentences seem rather jarring, they start and end abruptly. Perhaps it's just that I prefer flowing prose, but I've noticed that even writers who use short sentences can achieve flowing prose if they do it right.

Overall, I like it and would keep reading if I was an editor.

Posts: 17 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
It's kinda interesting but, being something of a geek, I wondered about the logic.

It was hard to visualise the scene without re-reading it a few times. Did the rover approach the crater and have to "jump" over the rim to roll then across the floor of the crater to the ghost town?

We started at the crater's edge so why did we have to launch ourselves a 100 meters high? And if we can fly, why not fly right up to the ghost town?

Assuming that energy is scarce on the moon, why do the thrusters extend? Why not save energy and just bolt them in position, with enough rotational capability for directional and stability control? And with a jarring crash, the descent was barely controlled--why give themselves such a hard time?

A meandering "day in the life" kind of story might appeal to the newly formed "Mundane Movement"--more at
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/05/the_really_exciting_science_fi.html

Hope this helps,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

Hey thanks everyone! I'll try and work on the choppy-bits maybe throw in a longer sentence to break it up.

quote:
Assuming that energy is scarce on the moon, why do the thrusters extend? Why not save energy and just bolt them in position, with enough rotational capability for directional and stability control? And with a jarring crash, the descent was barely controlled--why give themselves such a hard time?

This is the majority of the 2000 words I cut out. I was getting to a point where I felt like I had to stop the story and start explaining every aspect (how his visor works, why the rover was using thrusters, why the rover was stopped at the crater, why dust had piled up on the domes) and when finished one big chunk in the first 13 was just "telling".

What I'm thinking of doing is going back and adding some of these explanations back in except when the guy is leaving the site (pages 3-4). At that point the rover has to repeat its steps anyways so I can just toss in a little bit o' description. I can explain why the rover is using thrusters, why the movements are jarring inside the vehicle etc etc.

From a reader's perspective do you think that waiting that long to have some of these details explained is fine considering they aren't critical to the story?

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we're joining the story just a tad too early? There's a lot of movement in the ascending and landing, but no real action. What about joining the story as the rover arrives at the ghost town? Maybe something like,

"From the crater's edge the ghost town had looked like clump of dull metallic eggs in a steeped nest of gray sand and rock. Now, as the rover neared the decaying steel domes, <MC's name> gazed at the fifty years of dust piled against them, like polluted snow drifts." (I don't think you need the "back on Earth", introduces an irrelevant image of Earth.)

I like the image of the ghost town and am intruiged to find out what happened to it. The business with the ascending and crashing seems irrelevant, and the crashing (without knowing how rover works) seems somewhat incompetent, and therefore unattractive.

Hope this helps,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

Yup that makes sense, thanks TS!
halogen
Member # 6494

Started over, took some stuff from what I cut out before, mixed it, shortened it, made it into a story instead of a long rambling account of a person's day job.

Latest revision on the top. Thoughts? Readers?

debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the revised version. I came late to the party, so I read that first. Nice. I'll read.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Much better.

From his response to Lance's request it's clear that William is a bureaucrat, so you don't necessarily need the last para about his history. It damps down the action; you could feed it in later, and instead perhaps establish the setting on the moon--which isn't clear from this opening.

Nits:

William was ... in my mind he's (mixing past and present tenses).

The access codes themselves won't be affected by the dust, but the keypad and the door opening mechanism might.

Hope this helps,
Pat

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.