Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A Dog Named Katrina(Slipstream)2k

Author Topic: A Dog Named Katrina(Slipstream)2k
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Iknow. I know. I should be writing my WOTF, but this one was inspired.

Probably not the most engaging hook, what do you think?

I probably wouldn’t have stopped, were it not for the dog. The fat man beside the road holding the piece of cardboard that read: Newport didn’t look menacing at all, but I had a bad experience six months ago with a hitchhiker.
But the dog—there was something about it. A fine looking dog, at first it looked like an intricate carving, so still and perfectly colored, fawn with faded white spots. Even as the tired brakes squealed as I pulled the old Subaru wagon over, I found my eyes locked on the dog in the rear view mirror. The fat man got up from his canvas tote bag he sat on and wobbled up to the passenger door. I tossed all the trash from the floor of the front seat into the back and turned down Diane Rheems.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
Good job! I'm hooked - I want to know more about that dog. The prose is very good, the scene compelling - not much to pick at with this opening.

This is a real nit. You might consider the sentence: "Even as the tired brakes squealed as I pulled the old Subaru wagon over, I found my eyes locked on the dog in the rear view mirror." This seems too long, it could be broken up and streamlined to better effect. "The tired brakes squealed as I pulled the old Subaru wagon over. My eyes were locked on the dog in the rear view mirror." Or something similar.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say for the way your doing it, you probably don't need the colon in the bit about the sign. Just say "piece of cardboard with "Newport" written on it."

I agree with nitewriter.

Also

quote:
The fat man got up from his canvas tote bag he sat on

I'd say "The fat man got up from the canvas tote bag he was sitting on."

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordmerchant
Member # 7778

- posted      Profile for Wordmerchant   Email Wordmerchant         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...piece of cardboard that read: Newport didn’t look menacing at all, but I had a bad experience six months ago with a hitchhiker.
Unless this bad experience is germaine to this story, I don't think it matters at all.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dvorak
Member # 7976

- posted      Profile for Dvorak   Email Dvorak         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely hooked. I want to know what happens! I'm going to nitpick a couple things, though:

I probably wouldn’t have stopped, were it not for the dog. The fat man beside the road holding the piece of cardboard that read[:] remove colon [Newport]add quotes didn’t look menacing at all, but I had [you actually need two "had"s here: I had... simply means "experienced" and is past tense. I had had... shows that the experience completed before the time you are writing about.] a bad experience six months ago with a hitchhiker.
But the dog— [m-dash, or use two hyphens as the correct substitute.] there was something about it. A fine looking dog, at first it looked like an intricate carving, so still and perfectly colored, fawn with faded white spots. Even as the tired brakes squealed as I pulled the old Subaru wagon over, I found my eyes locked on the dog in the rear view mirror. [This sentence is a bit awkward; consider changing one "as" into a "while" or splitting it in two so it will read better.] The fat man got up from [his] the canvas tote bag he sat on and wobbled up to the passenger door. I tossed all the trash from the floor of the front seat into the back and turned down Diane Rheems.

Very nice, though. In terms of general story I don't see anything personally that needs improving--that's why my critique is just nit-picking. Hope it helps.

Posts: 10 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Other than the problems with punctuation that previous posters mentioned, I don't see what's wrong with this hook.

It's a good idea to throw in the SF or Fantasy element fairly early, but you still have plenty of time to do that in the first page and the description and situation are sufficiently interesting to keep me reading.

Good job.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff M
Member # 7828

- posted      Profile for Jeff M   Email Jeff M         Edit/Delete Post 
A seemingly normal guy intrigued by a seemingly normal dog is a hook, because it implies something seemingly NOT normal is going on. I'd continue reading.

The first sentence in the 2nd paragraph - But the dog--there was something about it - could probably be deleted. You told us right off the top that he stopped because of the dog. And, presumably the rest of the story will show us what it was about the dog. So this line here feels a bit cheesy. Just describe the scene and let the situation develop.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.