Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Father's Day (flash 618 words)...

Author Topic: Father's Day (flash 618 words)...
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess this is my small tribute to Lovecraft. Submitted for your consumption:

quote:

Jeremy ran his fingers along the polished edge of Father's mahogany desk. He did not feel any residual magic, no threat of Father soaked into the pores of the ancient wood, nothing of that black spirit awaiting the opportunity to take its revenge. And he felt no guilt, as he paced the bookshelves that lined the study--bookshelves filled with volumes of spells and potions and contracts to dark gods. It was pride that pressed his cheeks back in a victorious grin as he sniffed the black candles meticulously mounted on pedestals along the Persian rug.

This was all his now.

Oh, it wasn't worth the frosty countenance or the beatings. It didn't even scratch the surface of the many nights he'd sat

NEW 13 POSTED BELOW.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited May 28, 2008).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Elbesem, you actually posted something, Mr. Babbly!

Actually my first thought on reading this was Ray Bradbury's "Jack in The Box."

It looks good to me.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Babbly? That's gonna leave a mark. It looks good to me, groovy inarticulate one. Send it on, if you like, I'm just messing around tomorrow, and I can proof it for you.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
Very well done - maybe the best opening I've ever read here.

"(And - could be deleted) he felt no guilt, (don't think you need a comma here.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice prose!

I'd turn. Great hook.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Holy Elbesem, you actually posted something, Mr. Babbly!

And you wonder why people gender-confuse you?

quote:

Mr. Babbly? That's gonna leave a mark.

It would, but there's a question as to Merlion-Emrys masculinity. (Just kidding, Merlion-Emrys.)

I'll send it out to readers by the end of the day. Thanks for the offers.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seacat
Member # 7957

- posted      Profile for seacat   Email seacat         Edit/Delete Post 
"Oh, it wasn't worth the frosty countenance or the beatings. It didn't even scratch the surface of the many nights he'd sat"

I loved it up to the lines above. "Frosty countenance" is too weak a description for me, when the father beat the son. I think you need something stronger.

I am hooked beyond being, and I would love to read more. Send it to me if you like.

Oh, and I will use the "Seacat Method", which is copious parenthesis, and colored font so you can see what I am talking about. You have been warned!

Posts: 52 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess since KDW shut down our world domination thread we'll have to play by the rules again.
I didn't find much to gripe about in your first 13 Except that wood more properly has grains instead of pores. And the frosty countenace thing is a little lame.
I've got a couple of really short pieces (something I have trouble pulling off)on the go so I am always looking at how to shorten them even more.(I'll post soon)
Send me the rest so I can find fault in you... I mean in your story.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Point of fact: Wood is absolutely porous. In my "day job" we have to seal all wooden surfaces for precisely that reason--bodily fluids, bacteriaa and pigments can all be captured by the wood's pores. (That's how wood gets water-logged.) If you think of our bodies, flesh is porous and muscle has grain; wood has both, too.

Seacat, if you have MSWord, I appreciate it more when people use the "insert comments" feature. It's much less intrusive to the text, and I can switch from my copy to critiqued copy and know where I'm at--and on which page.

Cheyne
Member # 7710

IB- I too work with wood. I was speaking strictly of language use. Of course wood has pores, but most people will think of its grainy quality first.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always refered to people on messageboards via derivations of their avatars or screen names if theres no avatars like here. Hence, Mr. Babbly.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I guess since KDW shut down our world domination thread we'll have to play by the rules again.

First of all, just because I shut down a thread in which you were discussing world domination does not mean I shut it down because you were discussing world domination or that I am even against world domination.

Second, even when you are discussing world domination, I expect you to play by the rules.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

What are we going to do tonight, Brain?
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Well, if it's okay with Kathleen, we're going to plan the synchronized takeover of the entire eastern seaboard...but we have to wait until there are more than three of us to implement it.
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
isn't that the same thing we do every night?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as this 13, the only thing that caught me was, Jeremy sniffed, and I was wondering what the black candles smelled
like.

If you are still looking for readers, send it my way.

As far as world domination, quoting Manowar would have got me years ago, but now you're better off with wheels on the bus.

[This message has been edited by Tiergan (edited May 26, 2008).]

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff M
Member # 7828

- posted      Profile for Jeff M   Email Jeff M         Edit/Delete Post 
Taking over the world would be fun and all, but once you actually had it, you'd probably just stick it on a shelf in your basement and move on to some new hobby, like bonsai.

On topic...

quote:
...as he paced the bookshelves that lined the study...

To me, that sounds like he's walking on the bookshelves.

I've just picked up a Lovecraft short story collection, so I'm not yet familiar with his writing style. But I'm assuming that

quote:
pressed his cheeks back in a victorious grin

is an HP homage. Otherwise, it's a bit weird. Unless you're going for weird.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

quote:
Well, if it's okay with Kathleen, we're going to plan the synchronized takeover of the entire eastern seaboard

Good luck getting past my minions. I'll email you a map of my SE territory soes yall don't get lost down here.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

New 13(and plot twist):

quote:

Jeremy ran his fingers along the polished edge of Father's mahogany desk. He didn't feel any residual magic, no threat of Father soaked into the pores of the ancient wood, nothing of that black spirit awaiting an opportunity for vengeance. He felt no guilt as he paced beside the bookshelves lining the study--bookshelves filled with volumes of spells and potions, and contracts to dark gods. Pride pulled his cheeks back in a victorious grin. He smelled the black candles meticulously mounted on pedestals along the Persian rug, the musky scent a potpourri to his senses.

It was all his now. Paid for in blood, sealed with his soul.

Oh, it wasn't worth Father's icy countenance or the bony...

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

quote:
the musky scent a potpourri to his senses.

This seemed a little off to me.

Comma a wafting(or a waft of), musky potpourri filled his nose.

Senses implies things that I did not percieve as conveyed in this instance. Smell seemed the driving sense here. It is powerful though and you should keep it. Great tool.

Cheyne
Member # 7710

quote:
It was all his now. Paid for in blood, sealed with his soul.

Ah, now this may help to better foreshadow your ending.

Looking forward to seeing the rest.

WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this opening. Here are a couple of ideas:

He did not feel any residual magic, no <threat>[residue or threatening residue] of Father soaked into the pores of the ancient wood,....

I liked 'paced the bookshelves'; it sounds more Lovecraftian. You might also consider 'he haunted the bookshelves'.

--WouldBe

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Thanks, WouldBe, I like residue. That's a good word. Do you want to give it a read?
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure...send it on. --WouldBe
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.