Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » "Peone" - Literary short story, 7500 words

Author Topic: "Peone" - Literary short story, 7500 words
Jesse D
Member # 3241

- posted      Profile for Jesse D   Email Jesse D         Edit/Delete Post 
The brash electronic ring cut through the peace that Tracy Framer had been enjoying as he smoked a cigarette on his front porch. He put out the cigarette and entered the house, his knee joints complaining about the sudden movement. He swung open the screen door, and it banged shut behind him as he picked up the phone on its cradle by the door and hit talk, bringing it up to his ear. “Hello?”
“Mr. Framer? This is Alli.”
“Oh, hi, Alli, Heather's not here.” Heather was his daughter, and Alli her best friend. Come to think of it, Tracy didn't know where Heather was at this moment.
“I didn't think she would be,” Alli said hesitantly. “That's kinda why I was calling. She left my place a couple hours ago

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited June 24, 2008).]

Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Although this is literary, hence no speculative, I was somewhat intrigued.

quote:
The brash electronic ring cut through the peace that Tracy Framer had been enjoying as he smoked a cigarette on his front porch. He put out the cigarette and entered the house, his knee joints complaining about the sudden movement. He swung open the screen door, and it banged shut behind him as he picked up the phone on its cradle by the door and hit talk, bringing it up to his ear. “Hello?”

This opening seemed quite excessive to convey the relatively clear; "The phone rang and disrupted his smoke" That being said, I feel that it could be tightened a great deal, as there is nothing that unusual about that given situation. That real estate could be used to delve deeper into the POV, thoughts,scene setting, etc...

Or it could be that my focus, being on speculative fiction, is trained the the speculative, and it is my expectation to see more abnormal scenes and this opening paragragh is comparatively mundane.

I liked it overall. There is a good lure.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse D
Member # 3241

- posted      Profile for Jesse D   Email Jesse D         Edit/Delete Post 
The brash electronic ring cut through the peace that Tracy Framer had been enjoying as he smoked a cigarette on his front porch. Reluctantly he put out the cigarette, swung open the screen door, picking up the phone on its cradle by the door and hit talk. “Hello?”
“Oh, hi, Alli, Heather's not here.” Heather was his daughter, and Alli her best friend. Come to think of it, Tracy didn't know where Heather was at this moment.
“I didn't think she would be,” Alli said hesitantly. “That's kinda why I was calling. She left my place a couple hours ago to go get some snacks? She hasn't come back.”

How does that compare? Not a whole lot of change, but I think that problem sentence reads a lot cleaner.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Not bad. You've created a situation and I can see this becoming a good story. I don't really understand the "literary" description in the topic box: this sounds mainstream to me, but in no way literary.

I feel you're snagged between two worlds: the clean-cut writing of SF and a more literary feel. You're doing neither at this point and the sentences suffer for it. I had to reread the first one twice to get what you meant by "cutting the peace". Beware of mixed metaphors.

Decide where you want to go, choose a voice, a style, and swing with it.

Just my two cents.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, just a few things I would suggest, though i don't think they are crucial, might just give better flow;

The brash electronic ring cut through the peace that Tracy Framer had been enjoying as he smoked a cigarette on his front porch. Reluctantly, he put out the cigarette, loose , put in "and" swung open the screen door, picking up the phone on<- change to off its cradle by the door and hit talk. loose "by the door and hit talk" “Hello?”

“Oh, hi, Alli, Heather's not here.” Heather was his daughter, and Alli her best friend. Come to think of it, Tracy didn't know where Heather was at thisthatmoment.

^ this paragraph is kind of messy. Seems a bit forced on explaining how Alli and Heather know eachother. You might consider leaving out the fact that Alli is a friend, since it looks to become obvious later on. I think you can lose the "at this moment" from the end ("this" sounds weird here, is it supposed to be "that"(?))

“I didn't think she would be,” Alli said hesitantly. “That's kinda why I was calling. She left my place a couple hours ago to go get some snacks? She hasn't come back.”

----------

Good hook, I like this opening, I think you just need to smooth some stuff out I'd be interested in reading it

[This message has been edited by Devnal (edited June 26, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by Devnal (edited June 26, 2008).]

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.