Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A Garden So Fair - Fantasy - 2,070 words

Author Topic: A Garden So Fair - Fantasy - 2,070 words
C L Lynn
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for C L Lynn   Email C L Lynn         Edit/Delete Post 
This one has been burning my fingers for some months now. I need readers for the whole thing so I can get it sent out. Yesterday Thanks! -

Inevitably, they find my garden. Its dulcet silent song draws them, and these unhappy droves cannot resist forever. Men and women, young and old, they climb in over the high stone wall, break in through the boxwood hedges, sneak in by the gate; some fall in from the passing clouds or rise up from the green waters of the lily pond. They come as if tugged on a string, though not by me. I’m just the caretaker. I’ve observed them for ages. I see their faces fill invariably with wonder. They are amazed to find themselves standing among the roses droning softly with bees. One moment they were laboring in the office, bathing the dog, tucking in the children; now they find the luxury of rest, the indulgence of solitude. They watch the koi flit about the stones beneath the trickling fall. They stoop to bury their noses in the perfume of

Posts: 226 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be glad to look at this one. Send it along. I promise a prompt return. I enjoy the narration alot.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure about this. I am not volunteering to read, but will comment on the 13 lines--not sure if you want people to do this, but I will any way.

In general, I feel the intro waxes on a little too much. You talk of the garden being this magnet that draws people in, but spend very little time on the garden itself (yes it has boxwood hedges etc, but that ain't enough). You focus mostly on the people's reactions. As you don't supply the description apart from the rose garden and the koi, I am left trying to imagine a garden that would seem to inspire people to this extent. I can't.

I would suggest describing the garden more, focusing on the 'magical' aspects of the garden (the drifting fog above crystal waters, scents that took people on journeys etc.), before describing the people's reaction to the garden. This is obviously my opinion.

'One moment...' I would prefer to followed with '...the next they...' rather than now.

As far as hooks go, I can find none. Perhaps the hook is the question 'what is so amazing about the garden'. I feel you have had some time to tell me, but haven't. It seems like a million gardens I have seen on TV. Koi are nice and peaceful and so are the other things you mention--but special enough to draw people from passing clouds? Doubtful.

Also no conflict evident or suggestion as to where the story may go.

The prose is nicely written though, and I like the voice.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited July 11, 2008).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Not bad at all.
A little too "generic magic". Try to pack in a few original details. Even if there's only one or two, they'll make a slush reader smile and keep reading.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Intriguing. I agree the garden went on a bit too long. I'd rather hear more about the narrator.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.