Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Still Untitled - SF - First 13 - 6000 Words

Author Topic: Still Untitled - SF - First 13 - 6000 Words
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I think I'm ready to get some full crits on this puppy. I've gone back to something more akin to the original first 13 although I'm now in first person/past tense. Below are the first 13. If you are interested in giving the full story a read, let me know.

quote:

Ellen and my unborn son had been dead for nearly six hours.

I stood staring at her naked, motionless body. She was locked in a stasis chamber. Her pregnant belly distended awkwardly from her otherwise slender body. The peaceful expression on her face showed no sign of her unfortunate condition.

I heard the sound of the hospital room door opening and knew that the doctor was ready for me.

I leaned close over the glass enclosure that held her and whispered, “I’m sorry. I love you.”

There were tears in my eyes when I turned to meet the knowing gaze of Dr. Tucker. She offered me a half-smile and motioned for me to mount the gurney. The nurse looked away when I caught her misty eyed glance.

This story uses a device I've seen used successfully where the initial opening is actually the ending and then the rest of the story tells how the protag got to that point.

I like the story but I'm curious how well I've implemented the device as well as the first person PoV (this is my first).

Thanks for reading.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Anthony,

Send it through if you're willing. I'll take a few days.

Regards,

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Send 'er over and I'll give 'er a read!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Sent to Nick T, annepin and Bent Tree.

Thanks!

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.