Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » China Station

Author Topic: China Station
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
It’s cold out here where there is no sun. Without the sun people are cut loose from what have been staples of time: day, night, dusk, sunrise, seasons. The sameness tears apart the human soul. We were never meant to live like this. Somebody else was. It’s their home but we’re living inside it now.
The sign was an old one: Chinese characters above the alien script and now ParaEnglish sandwiched inbetween for the latest bunch of intruders making a home in the twisting tunnels and caverns of the once abandoned space station.
“You’ll find hot water down the hall,” the guide said. The group of welders and electricians trailing him were subdued in the presence of so much alien work. “We’ve fitted up a serviceable bath facility for you there. Your rooms are these

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited August 11, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited August 11, 2008).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Arriki,

It's well written, but maybe not quite as enticing as I thought it could be.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the omniscent narrator (if I've got my technical terms right) that's employed in the 1st paragraph. It feels odd when you switch to the description in the 2nd paragraph. I do like the little foreshadowing of "We were never meant to live like this. Somebody else was. It’s their home but we’re living inside it now" but I still felt a little drawn out of the story.

Another personal preference I have is to see a protagonist to follow in the opening. You might introduce him soon, but right now I don't have a character to follow, only a setting. I always prefer reading character driven stories and having the setting being a bonus.

Other than these nits, I thought it was an interesting start as I like the foreshadowing that arises from opening.

Regards,

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Arriki,

I read this yesterday and mulled over it. I can't find anything wrong with your first 13 but it still doesn't feel quite right. I am intrigued but your opening feels incomplete. I think it's because your opening line is missing. This would have a greater impact if you wrote one line, by itself, that sums it all up. something like.

We were never meant to live here

Hope this helps

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Hmm...interesting idea, snapper.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Arriki,

I like Snapper's idea. It would require you to rewrite it in first person, but I really like the ominous air it adds to proceedings (which is what really intrigued me about your opening).

Cheers,

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I also liked this, but it reminds me a little of the end of Ender's Game or Ender's Shadow. I'd keep reading as long as it didn't seem to be copying either of these.

Question about 1st person - "We..." - Isn't this actually 2nd person? - I catch myself using it a lot, but all the books on writing warn to "stay away from it."

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited August 14, 2008).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it. I don't think it is unusual to have an omniscient first paragraph to set the stage. I think <trimming> some non-essential words might help the readability.

It’s cold <out here >where there is no sun. Without the sun people are cut loose from <what have been >staples of time: day, night, dusk, sunrise, seasons. <The >sameness tears apart the human soul. We were never meant to live like this. Somebody else was. It’s their home but we’re living inside it now.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Actually, if I'm ripping off anything it's an old Ace D-series novel called SANCTUARY IN THE SKY. Loved that, but I'm only copying the idea of people living in a station built by some other race. Mine's far more alien -- non human -- and it's still in the basic level of being made liveable. But I loved the hidden accesses and all. The secrets...I should go back and read SANCTUARY. It's been forty years since I read it as a kid.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Question about 1st person - "We..." - Isn't this actually 2nd person?

This is an interesting question, because "we" is grammatically first person, but in a story, it can be second person as well.

It depends on whether "we" means "myself and the other guys" in a first-person narrative, or if "we" means "you and I" in a second-person narrative.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We were never meant to live here

quote:
This is an interesting question, because "we" is grammatically first person, but in a story, it can be second person as well.

Kathleen

When I initially read snapper's suggestion, I interpreted it as if the narrator was referring to "we" as the human race. Reading it again, with the first 13, I can see that "we" is referring to the narrator and the others on the station.

Thanks for clearing that up.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited August 15, 2008).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy to help.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.