Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Lovers of the Sea, 1800 Words

Author Topic: Lovers of the Sea, 1800 Words
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm not really sure how to categorize this piece. It's definitely not sci-fi or fantasy. It has a paranormal element but I'm not sure what to call it.

It is the shortest piece of fiction I have ever written at 1800 words.

quote:
Samantha Hampton ran along the deck of the Queen Elizabeth II, tears in her eyes, zipping past rows of lounge chairs. At this late hour only a handful of people were out.
Near the bow of the ship, Samantha sat down on a bench and sobbed into her hands. I hate this boat, she thought. I hate this trip.
A noise startled her. She looked up to find a man standing beyond the barrier that kept her from approaching all the way to the bow. He wore blue jeans and a tight T-shirt and a Kangol style cap.
“You okay, lass?” he said with a thick Irish accent.
Samantha didn’t want to appear childish to the good looking sailor. “I’m fine, thank you.” She looked away and wiped her

I'd love thoughts on the first 13 as well as some readers.

~Anthony

[This message has been edited by AWSullivan (edited September 04, 2008).]

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
not much wrong I can see here. I take it her hating the ship and hating the trip is the hook, along with the sailor. Might be a bit weak but I would read on.

Her thinking in ryhme through me off a bit, i'd suggest changing it, comes off kind of dr. suess-y

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice catch! I didn't see that it rhymed. I changed it in the first 13.

Thanks!

~Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Anthony,

Send it through if you're not in a hurry.

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

Sent. Thanks for reading, Nick.

Anthony

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.